Fone Forum
May 05, 2024, 10:19:42 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Fone Forum is pleased to welcome its valued guests and members.  We hope you will all enjoy your time with us, and find us a happy community of shared interests - who pool our knowledge, so that we can all come away better informed.  Wink  Cheesy  Grin

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 3 UK Launches Totally Free, Unlimited, No Contract Skype  (Read 7582 times)
mobileman

« on: April 25, 2009, 10:24:31 AM »

UK Network 3 has announced that it is teaming up with Skype to give free, unlimited Skype-to-Skype calls and instant messages to 3 customers, forever and without any strings attached.

At a press conference a few hours ago, executives for the two companies laid out the plans which will see anyone with a 3 SIM card - available at a cost of £1.99 only - and a compatible Skype-enabled 3-branded handset enjoy the free VoIP service as from the 1st of May.

During the summer, the mobile network operator will expand its service to allow anyone with a 3 SIM to make and receive calls from any compatible unlocked 3G handset regardless of whether the phone is actually from three or not.

This essentially converts the 3 network into a giant Push-to-Talk supplier for Skype where users will be able to leave their phones on all day (or even use them as baby monitors) for free.

The obvious reason why Three is doing this deal with Skype is that the company wants to build on what many see as a very compelling unique selling point.  All other mobile network operators in the UK and in mainland Europe have strict terms and conditions to out-law the use of voice over IP technology.

3 UK users currently make more than 10 million Skype minutes every week and since the first Skypephone was launched back in 2007, the number of Skype users have surged to more than 430 million worldwide.

See:-   here.

Comment on ITProportal:-   "It is still early days but it is refreshing to see that a VoIP provider and a traditional mobile phone provider can come together and work as partners.  We strongly believe that this is the way forward.  There are a number of questions though that need to be answered.  How will it impact on Three's bottom line, will users be able to use Skypein and Skype out options?  Great times indeed".

korny88

« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2010, 12:35:53 AM »

I know this is a very old post, but couldn't find details anywhere else on the forum. Does anyone know if this would work abroad for free. For example, if I were to take my 3 phone with my 3 UK sim card in it, would I be able to use Skype for free from abroad without paying roaming charges for the usage.

Thanks for all the wonderful information.

Get a UK 0870 number forwarded to a number in Pakistan or India or other countries.
petkow

« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2010, 12:51:54 AM »

I know this is a very old post, but couldn't find details anywhere else on the forum. Does anyone know if this would work abroad for free. For example, if I were to take my 3 phone with my 3 UK sim card in it, would I be able to use Skype for free from abroad without paying roaming charges for the usage.

Thanks for all the wonderful information.
No, not for free, though apparently it works (in most places) and costs the same as making (or receiving) a call back to/from the UK. This costs 38p/min to make, and 15p/min to receive a call whilst in Europe. In the good old days of 'Three like Home' you could have got it for free depending on your plan.

Depending on your phone, you could also install the normal 'non-three' Skype on your phone and then calls get placed via 3G or via wifi (if you have that on your phone). Obviously 3G roaming is generally madly expensive, though there are options of getting cheap data access by buying a local SIM. If you were to try and make a Skype call via 3G data whilst roaming in Europe, this call would cost you up to £1.50 per minute just in roaming data charges. Not worth it!

What country are you wanting to use it in?

« Last Edit: April 20, 2010, 12:56:22 AM by petkow » Logged
korny88

« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2010, 12:10:43 PM »

Thanks for the detailed reply.

Was looking to use it in Italy.  If I were to use wifi to make the call, surely there would be no need to use the 3 sim with that, would there?

Get a UK 0870 number forwarded to a number in Pakistan or India or other countries.
petkow

« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2010, 12:46:41 PM »

Thanks for the detailed reply.

Was looking to use it in Italy.  If I were to use wifi to make the call, surely there would be no need to use the 3 sim with that, would there?
Sure. WiFI  will be the best way. However you will need to download and install the latest version of Skype (for mobile) directly from the Skype website, but this does not work for all wifi mobiles. Check the Skype site for details. Basically in Italy you shouldn't even run the Three version of Skype as their version doesn't have VoIP capability, as the Voice is transmitted as a normal voice call and not VoIP.

So instead install the version from Skype direct. If you have anything with a Symbian s60 operating system, go here: http://www.skype.com/intl/en/download/skype/symbian/ for details or alternatively  visit skype.com/m from your phones browser.

When you install the 'native' Skype version, it will not affect the customised 'Skype for Three' version which will remained installed side by side in the mobile. You will notice that both are called 'Skype', but one has a slightly different logo. It is a bit hard to describe but you will quickly figure out which is the Three version and which is the native version when you open them.
korny88

« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2010, 03:26:49 PM »

Thank you petkow. Hope it works

NewStarter

« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2010, 03:29:18 PM »

Thank you petkow. Hope it works

Yes, it does.. I have been using this from quite some time now.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: