Fone Forum
April 26, 2024, 06:19:57 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Fone Forum is pleased to welcome its valued guests and members.  We hope you will all enjoy your time with us, and find us a happy community of shared interests - who pool our knowledge, so that we can all come away better informed.  Wink  Cheesy  Grin

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Opera Mini 5 speeds mobile browsing  (Read 7925 times)
mobaholic
Administrator

« on: September 17, 2009, 01:43:26 PM »

Opera Software has launched the latest version of its popular web browser for mobile devices, claiming improved speed and usability.

Opera Mini 5, out now in beta, features a sleek new design to give the browser a more intuitive look and feel, the firm said.  Also included is tabbed browsing, enabling users to browse several sites simultaneously, and support for touch screen as well as keypad-based browsing.

A Password Manager function acts as a "virtual memory bank" to store all a user's passwords for email, social networking and other online accounts, according to Opera.

Finally, Opera Mini 5 features Speed Dial, providing users with pre-selected web sites on loading the browser to jump straight to the content they want.

"The idea of navigating the vastness of the web from such a small screen can be a daunting leap, which is why we have long committed to make the browsing experience you are familiar with from your PC, easy to do on your mobile phone, " said Jon von Tetzchner, chief executive of Opera Software.

"With new sleek navigation buttons, tabbed browsing and Speed Dial bookmarks, you are never more than a click away from where you want to go on the web."

Source:-   v3.co.uk

Valued guests are cordially invited to join.  Registration is quick & easy, & only needs an email address.  You can then benefit from contributing to our forum, & being able to use our PM system.

If you do not do so, but wish to make contact, you may email:-  theadminteam.foneforum@gmail.com
korny88

« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2009, 03:16:17 PM »

Hi, thanks for this info.

I have recently seen a new browser that I've been using. It's called Bolt. It's very similar to opera but slightly better in my opinion.

More info can be found here: http://boltbrowser.com/home.html

It appears quite new and does crash every so often but very good.

Get a UK 0870 number forwarded to a number in Pakistan or India or other countries.
mobaholic
Administrator

« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2009, 07:45:10 PM »

Hi, thanks for this info.

I have recently seen a new browser that I've been using. It's called Bolt. It's very similar to opera but slightly better in my opinion.

More info can be found here: http://boltbrowser.com/home.html

It appears quite new and does crash every so often but very good.

Thanks for your reply korny88.  You are fully entitled to your opinion, but I do differ with you quite strongly.

I have used both bolt, and opera mini 4.1 ( so far ), and I find the latter vastly superior.  There are two big problems with bolt I find.

Firstly, bolt uses a ridiculously small character size, and allows no means of changing it that I have found.  This means that most letters are indistinct and unreadable on a smallish screen.  ( I have used it on a Nokia 6120 classic, two 6300's, and a Skypephone S2 so far, all with difficulty. )

Secondly, the big advantage of opera mini is that it automatically uses opera's own proxy servers.  This gets around network restrictions nicely.  Neither Orange, nor '3', for example, are able to block what they regard as suspect sites.  Both networks block adult sites by default, but Orange is ridiculous in blocking also telephone services sites such as this forum, or our rival 'no-longer-nifty' one.  I could never connect to nifty forum when I was on it, let alone make a post, until I discovered opera mini.  With opera mini you can look at what you like, and download what you like, but NOT with bolt.  '3' will soon block any download that they don't like using bolt.

IMHO bolt look like a creditable alternative to opera mini at first site, but the latter far surpasses it when you have used both I find.

« Last Edit: September 17, 2009, 07:47:30 PM by mobaholic » Logged

Valued guests are cordially invited to join.  Registration is quick & easy, & only needs an email address.  You can then benefit from contributing to our forum, & being able to use our PM system.

If you do not do so, but wish to make contact, you may email:-  theadminteam.foneforum@gmail.com
petkow

« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2009, 03:54:20 PM »

Thanks for this post. I just downloaded version 5 Beta and it works a treat. Some sites that I used to have some trouble with on my older version of Opera (e.g. Ryanair.com) work almost perfect now!

I have been a huge Opera fan for ages. I just cannot get over how much it improves the web experience on your mobile over every other browser, especially the generic built-in ones. Due to the data compression, Opera is always quicker but it can also save you serious money too, if your data is expensive such as when you are roaming.

I have to admit I have not tried Bolt myself, but from all I have heard (even beyond this forum), it's not really worth the download.
mobaholic
Administrator

« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2009, 03:56:28 PM »

Thanks for this post. I just downloaded version 5 Beta and it works a treat. Some sites that I used to have some trouble with on my older version of Opera (e.g. Ryanair.com) work almost perfect now!

I have been a huge Opera fan for ages. I just cannot get over how much it improves the web experience on your mobile over every other browser, especially the generic built-in ones. Due to the data compression, Opera is always quicker but it can also save you serious money too, if your data is expensive such as when you are roaming.

I have to admit I have not tried Bolt myself, but from all I have heard (even beyond this forum), it's not really worth the download.

Thanks for your post petkow: it is really nice to see that we are in agreeement here.  Cheers !        Smiley

petkow

« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2009, 04:08:25 PM »

it is really nice to see that we are in agreeement here.  Cheers !        Smiley
That makes a pleasant change doesn't it?  Wink  Grin
mobaholic
Administrator

« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2009, 02:31:05 PM »

As an update to my exchange of views with petkow, I need to qualify my previous praise of opera mini 5.

Although it works very well on a Skypephone S2, it has proved impossible on a Nokia 6120.  It will go everywhere the same on the Nokia, BUT is has proved impossible to login on sites which need to change between capital letters and small ones, e.g. for a password.  This is not something that has happened to me before on the Nokia, using version 4.02.

The # ( hash ) key on the S2 merrily changes case for you, but the same trick does not work on the 6120.

If anybody has found a way to get it to work on a Nokia, please post below.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: