Fone Forum
April 25, 2024, 11:17:58 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Fone Forum is pleased to welcome its valued guests and members.  We hope you will all enjoy your time with us, and find us a happy community of shared interests - who pool our knowledge, so that we can all come away better informed.  Wink  Cheesy  Grin

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Short codes to call abroad.  (Read 30115 times)
mobaholic
Administrator

« on: October 09, 2009, 02:06:31 PM »

I have just received an email from an outfit called "Dial-a-Code".  I have no knowledge about them, and cannot vouch for them in any way.

The contents of their email is as follows:-

"Great news if you have a T-Mobile or Orange mobile phone. Now you can make cheap international calls straight from your mobile simply by dialing a new 6 digit short code
The service works on all of these networks and is charged per second by your mobile operator, so no hidden charges.
Take a look below at just some of the 400 available destinations. Or call our automated info line on 0203 171 1717 to have the price and short code for your favourite destinations text free to your mobile phone.
Dial-a-Code; your short cut to cheap international calls on your mobile".

They give a broken link to 'DAC Customer Care', and the following list of short codes and destinations:-

Bangladesh Landlines & Mobiles   6p   29 06 29
Canada Landlines & Mobiles        3p   29 03 29
China Landlines & Mobiles          3p   29 03 29
Ghana Mobiles                       15p   29 15 29
India Landlines & Mobiles           5p   29 05 29
Jamaica Mobiles                     15p    29 15 29
Nigeria Landlines & Mobiles       10p    29 10 29
Pakistan Landlines & Mobiles      8p    29 08 29
Poland Landlines                     3p     29 03 29
Romania Landlines                   3p     29 03 29
Russia Landlines & Mobiles        5p    29 05 29
South Africa Landlines             5p     29 05 29
Thailand Landlines & Mobiles     3p     29 03 29
Turkey Landlines                    4p     29 04 29
Uganda Landlines & Mobiles    10p     29 10 29
USA Landlines & Mobiles         3p      29 04 29

If anyone wishes to give the service a try on a T-Mobile or Orange SIM, please report back on your findings below.  Thanks.

Valued guests are cordially invited to join.  Registration is quick & easy, & only needs an email address.  You can then benefit from contributing to our forum, & being able to use our PM system.

If you do not do so, but wish to make contact, you may email:-  theadminteam.foneforum@gmail.com
amitjajoo

« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2009, 02:20:05 PM »

Me got the same email as well. But thought that 5p for India in todays time is too much. Might suit others though.
andy

« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2009, 11:07:23 PM »

I have just received an email from an outfit called "Dial-a-Code".  I have no knowledge about them, and cannot vouch for them in any way.

It's related to Yourcallworld

I read somewhere that it's rumoured Ofcom wants to reclaim the 07755 numbers, so short codes will be used instead.
andy

« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2009, 12:07:02 PM »

In fact the Yourcallworld site now also shows these numbers
delaro
Global Moderator

« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2009, 12:22:39 PM »

it says the number is not recognised on my orange sim..

mobaholic
Administrator

« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2009, 02:48:27 PM »

it says the number is not recognised on my orange sim..

That is strange, as the numbers are now listed on the Orange website, as well as T-Mobile's.        Shocked

The URL relating to this service is:-   http://www.dialacode.com/        Wink

and the short code charges are shown at:-   http://www1.orange.co.uk/service_plans/downloads/PAYG_PriceGuide_v10(20090918).pdf
and at:-   http://support.t-mobile.co.uk/resources/sites/TMOBILE/content/live/DOCUMENTS/0/DO115/en_GB/MC-25271-0709%20Nonstandard.qxd.pdf

Orange call them "Calls to short codes 2903, 2904....2919" which are charged @ "3p, 4p....19p";

T-Mobile call them "New Special Access Numbers" which are "A range of 6 digit shortcodes in the form 29ppxx", where "the pp digits indicate the price (inc VAT) in pence per minute and the xx indicates the last two dialling numbers of the specific number."

So as far as I can see, these new numbers should work on any Orange or T-Mobile  pay & go SIM.

« Last Edit: October 12, 2009, 07:35:36 PM by mobaholic » Logged

Valued guests are cordially invited to join.  Registration is quick & easy, & only needs an email address.  You can then benefit from contributing to our forum, & being able to use our PM system.

If you do not do so, but wish to make contact, you may email:-  theadminteam.foneforum@gmail.com
delaro
Global Moderator

« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2009, 06:23:30 PM »

I appreciate what you're saying but I'm still getting the same message. no worries. I probably wouldn't use this service unless I had struggled with other alternatives

mobaholic
Administrator

« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2009, 06:48:39 PM »

I appreciate what you're saying but I'm still getting the same message. no worries. I probably wouldn't use this service unless I had struggled with other alternatives

I received a voicemail message from Graham, who had seen an advert in London specifying that the dialacode service only works on Orange and T-Mobile pay & go SIMs.  This is something that I had not seen stated before, but it may explain delaro's experience.        Undecided

Were you using a contact mobile perhaps, delaro ?        Undecided

delaro
Global Moderator

« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2009, 10:21:40 PM »

I received a voicemail message from Graham, who had seen an advert in London specifying that the dialacode service only works on Orange and T-Mobile pay & go SIMs.  This is something that I had not seen stated before, but it may explain delaro's experience.        Undecided

Were you using a contact mobile perhaps, delaro ?        Undecided

aye! orange contract pal Cool

andy

« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2009, 02:34:59 AM »

I've just noticed, or rather a friend did, that the YCW short code service can now also be used from 3 (after I told him it could be used from Orange)

mobaholic
Administrator

« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2009, 11:21:23 AM »

I've just noticed, or rather a friend did, that the YCW short code service can now also be used from 3 (after I told him it could be used from Orange)

This is surprising news, if true, as the original email promotion would surely have mentioned a third network if they were going to be included.        Shocked

Does you friend claim that it is working on '3' Pre-Pay SIMS only, as on T-Mobile and Orange, or does he believe it will work on '3' contracts also ?        Undecided

andy

« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2009, 08:15:12 PM »

None of these possibilities.

He read a post elsewhere about using it from Orange (news to him), and when he visited the YCW website to check that he found the use from 3 as well. He won't have checked any actual use as he's in America.

I'm just reading YCW FAQs (and waiting for a power cut here to end so my router comes back on ... *): the short codes can be used from T-mobile contract and payg, Orange payg only, 3 contract and payg

* then a longer power cut, a long phone call, other distractions, and I'm finishing the post a few hours later
« Last Edit: November 03, 2009, 08:32:52 PM by andy » Logged
mobaholic
Administrator

« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2009, 11:35:21 AM »

None of these possibilities.

He read a post elsewhere about using it from Orange (news to him), and when he visited the YCW website to check that he found the use from 3 as well. He won't have checked any actual use as he's in America.

I'm just reading YCW FAQs (and waiting for a power cut here to end so my router comes back on ... *): the short codes can be used from T-mobile contract and payg, Orange payg only, 3 contract and payg

* then a longer power cut, a long phone call, other distractions, and I'm finishing the post a few hours later

Thank you for your interesting reply andy.        Smiley

I have looked at the YCW website, and I was confused to find conflicting information there.        Shocked

Instant Dial Mobile: No Sign Up Required!
YourCall's Instant Dial Mobile service enables you to make cheap international calls straight from your mobile to over 300 worldwide destinations.  No account, just dial straight from your mobile!  T-Mobile and Orange Pay-As-You-Go users can make cheap international calls using our new 6 digit short codes right now i.e 290329.  Or if you are on any other mobile network you can use our special 11 digit access numbers i.e 07755 300 222........

This specifically says that other networks have to use their 07755 callthrough service.        Huh

However, when I went to the FAQ pages as you suggested, I found a different account as you reported.        Smiley

Another mystery is that there appear to be different short codes mentioned on different parts of the website also.  For example, if you select USA to call, it gives short code 29 03 79, but if you then click on "Give me the access number", it displays instead 29 03 29.        Shocked

I think that such conflicts are a worrying feature of their website, and are very unhelpful to visitors.        Roll Eyes

andy

« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2009, 01:57:43 PM »

Access from 3 has obviously only very recently been added, and the front page has that information, but you've found that not all the pages are updated

To us, six digits seems redundantly long at first consideration, but they have a number of resellers or affiliates, and it seems to me that the last two digits refer only to that, with perhaps a few of those for their own direct use, while the centre two refer to the tariff.

Without those considerations, even a two digit access would seem to be enough, except that the mobile networks would then have to install the YCW destination and tariff database into their billing platform rather than go much more simply from the different access numbers.
mobaholic
Administrator

« Reply #14 on: November 04, 2009, 04:14:28 PM »

Access from 3 has obviously only very recently been added, and the front page has that information, but you've found that not all the pages are updated

To us, six digits seems redundantly long at first consideration, but they have a number of resellers or affiliates, and it seems to me that the last two digits refer only to that, with perhaps a few of those for their own direct use, while the centre two refer to the tariff.

Without those considerations, even a two digit access would seem to be enough, except that the mobile networks would then have to install the YCW destination and tariff database into their billing platform rather than go much more simply from the different access numbers.

I am sure you are right andy, but I am wondering whether the 29 02 29, or the 29 03 79 short code is for YCW itself, and which for the reseller ?

Any idea ?        Undecided

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: