Fone Forum
April 23, 2024, 09:57:18 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Fone Forum is pleased to welcome its valued guests and members.  We hope you will all enjoy your time with us, and find us a happy community of shared interests - who pool our knowledge, so that we can all come away better informed.  Wink  Cheesy  Grin

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Short codes to call abroad.  (Read 30101 times)
mobileman

« Reply #15 on: November 05, 2009, 12:46:49 PM »

Access from 3 has obviously only very recently been added, and the front page has that information, but you've found that not all the pages are updated

I am unsure about this andy.  According to the shortcode checker on '3', none of these codes are available currently.    Shocked

See:- http://www.three.co.uk/Help_Support/About_my_mobile/Shortcodes    Wink

For example:

Shortcode checker

Find out which Shortcodes are available on 3 by entering a Shortcode number below:

Result for Shortcode 290329

Shortcode 290329 is not supported yet.

or:

Shortcode checker

Find out which Shortcodes are available on 3 by entering a Shortcode number below:

Result for Shortcode 290379

Shortcode 290379 is not supported yet.

andy

« Reply #16 on: November 05, 2009, 02:24:27 PM »

I am unsure about this andy.  According to the shortcode checker on '3', none of these codes are available currently.    Shocked

I meant the front of the YCW site. 3's website obviously hasn't been updated.

Two trial calls show the service works from 3, with billing units under a minute, as they cost 2p and 1p.

aside: 3's billing seems pro rata to fractions of a penny. I once tried out a service using data for text message equivalents, getting 7 lots of 1400 bytes per penny.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2009, 02:26:14 PM by andy » Logged
mobaholic
Administrator

« Reply #17 on: November 05, 2009, 02:59:09 PM »

I meant the front of the YCW site. 3's website obviously hasn't been updated.

Two trial calls show the service works from 3, with billing units under a minute, as they cost 2p and 1p.

aside: 3's billing seems pro rata to fractions of a penny. I once tried out a service using data for text message equivalents, getting 7 lots of 1400 bytes per penny.

It's good to have some actual test calls reported here.  Thanks andy.        Smiley

I regret that I have been 'stung' by charges on '3' after making test calls recently, so I have held off trying so far.        Shocked

Were your 2 tests conducted on Pre-Pay SIMs, or a '3' contract andy ?        Undecided

Also, just out of interest, what was the data for text messages service which you trialled ?        Undecided

Valued guests are cordially invited to join.  Registration is quick & easy, & only needs an email address.  You can then benefit from contributing to our forum, & being able to use our PM system.

If you do not do so, but wish to make contact, you may email:-  theadminteam.foneforum@gmail.com
andy

« Reply #18 on: November 05, 2009, 03:53:26 PM »

This was a 3 payg SIM.

I can't actually remember which text service when, as I've tried a range in the past, including Vyke, Voipbuster/Voipcheap (they used to have occasional free offers), and smsbug. It's quite possible that some were also callback triggers which also used about the same amount (or was that 1800 bytes). And most of my messing with these was on O2 though, but I did try a sequence on 3

Nowadays I'd recommend Fishtext, which is reliable and has the lowest tariffs at the moment. Also I think its amount of data per message is a bit lower, but I haven't quantified it exactly as the log on the most recent phone doesn't specify down to bytes.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2009, 04:00:30 PM by andy » Logged
petkow

« Reply #19 on: November 05, 2009, 07:15:10 PM »

The case for me getting a 3PAYG SIM grows every day! I went through my very large box of SIMs and unused SIM packs from pretty much every UK operator, and was surprised that I have never had anything from 3! 

The functions and abilities of YCW has always been a bit of mystery to me. I just cannot believe they manage to get into negotiations with the operators directly to achieve such low rates. With everyone else you need to dial via a geographic number which will always be charged at standard rates to a 01/02/03 which on PAYG can be quite high at times! I mean let's face it, is there anything cheaper than YCW for calling internationally if all you have is a PAYG SIM? Well, I guess there is Mikael's Skype access service, and then some PAYG do give you some free minutes etc. based on achieving periodic minimum topups etc.
petkow

« Reply #20 on: November 05, 2009, 07:18:50 PM »

Nowadays I'd recommend Fishtext, which is reliable and has the lowest tariffs at the moment. Also I think its amount of data per message is a bit lower, but I haven't quantified it exactly as the log on the most recent phone doesn't specify down to bytes.
Thanks for this Tip. I've been meaning to try them for some time, but not had any reason to do so! So far, I just have too many free text messages for me to justify it, but I suppose especially for people in the UK who send a lot of international SMS's (like me when I am there), these services can save you a lot of money!
mobaholic
Administrator

« Reply #21 on: November 10, 2009, 11:29:43 AM »

According to this post on the no longer nifty forum, there is another new entrant in the short code services on T-Mobile, Orange pay & go, and '3'.        Wink

Maybe it will get a crowded market !        Shocked

Valued guests are cordially invited to join.  Registration is quick & easy, & only needs an email address.  You can then benefit from contributing to our forum, & being able to use our PM system.

If you do not do so, but wish to make contact, you may email:-  theadminteam.foneforum@gmail.com
petkow

« Reply #22 on: November 10, 2009, 12:04:30 PM »

...there is another new entrant in the short code services on T-Mobile, Orange pay & go, and '3'. Wink
http://www.globecode.co.uk/
They seem to suggest this one doesn't work on Three! Maybe it is an error on their part though, but who knows!? Maybe someone here who is on three might offer to make a short test call!

Do you think that the different new entrants are just agents, or are these separate brands and suppliers? I really do not know.
mobaholic
Administrator

« Reply #23 on: November 10, 2009, 12:16:26 PM »

http://www.globecode.co.uk/
They seem to suggest this one doesn't work on Three! Maybe it is an error on their part though, but who knows!? Maybe someone here who is on three might offer to make a short test call!

Do you think that the different new entrants are just agents, or are these separate brands and suppliers? I really do not know.

My guess - but it is just a guess - is that yourcallworld have set up the arrangements with networks, and that dialacode, globecode et al are agents / resellers of YCW.

I know of nothing that would support BigJohn's conjecture that globecall are agents of dialacode.

mobaholic
Administrator

« Reply #24 on: November 12, 2009, 12:00:56 PM »

I contacted a friend of mine yesterday, who runs a service which is just starting to use these short codes, to find out more about who is providing them.

The information that he provided to me is as follows:-

Dialacode is a brand of Core Telecom (as is YCW, iTalk247, iDial) who are the people behind the 07744 and 07755 access numbers.  07755 is being phased out, and the short codes are replacing them.
I believe Core and in negotiation with the other networks also.
The take up is relatively slow, this may be because customers associate short codes with Premium Rate Services.

( The last point was posted by one of our members on another forum yesterday.  Wink )

In addition to www.dialacode.com; www.yourcallworld.com; and www.globecall.co.uk - which are all offering new short codes on T-Mobile, '3', and Orange pay & go, so too now are http://www.callhappy.co.uk/page20.htm        Wink

Details of Core Telecom itself may be found at http://www.coretel.co.uk/        Wink

« Last Edit: November 12, 2009, 12:11:31 PM by mobaholic » Logged

dnapro
Learner

« Reply #25 on: January 19, 2011, 04:11:35 PM »

Orange do NOT support call forward services, this is clearly stated in the Orange PAYG price guide which was linked to on the first page.

mobaholic
Administrator

« Reply #26 on: January 19, 2011, 04:17:34 PM »

Orange do NOT support call forward services, this is clearly stated in the Orange PAYG price guide which was linked to on the first page.

They DO allow short code services on their Pay & Go accounts AFAIK.  What makes you think otherwise ?        Undecided

ganjbakhash

« Reply #27 on: January 19, 2011, 06:00:01 PM »

They DO allow short code services on their Pay & Go accounts AFAIK.  What makes you think otherwise ?        Undecided

I can confirm I had used these codes from Orange PAYG many times!

Regards,

gb

Wanna Change The World? Change Yourself!
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: