Fone Forum
March 29, 2024, 07:22:42 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Fone Forum is pleased to welcome its valued guests and members.  We hope you will all enjoy your time with us, and find us a happy community of shared interests - who pool our knowledge, so that we can all come away better informed.  Wink  Cheesy  Grin

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Good use for small amount of credit on a Pre-paid SIM  (Read 5466 times)
A1ia5

« on: October 13, 2009, 04:49:04 AM »

Cant really find a good place to put this - mods please move as appropriate - also this is not providing info, but a request for it - however I hope that there may be some useful posts to this thread that many people may find of use.

I have and will have more pre-paid UK SIM cards with a small amount of credit on them, typically around £1.  I will be porting these numbers to another network and as a consequence will lose this credit.  I don't particularly want to use the credit for calls or sending normal sms.

I'd be very interested to hear from people who have used small amounts of credit for something useful.  The sort of things I'm particularly interested in is ways to add points (or whatever they may be called) to virtual wallets / currencies ie paypay, UKash etc or for subscriptions ie credits to VoIP accounts or some other account.

The two methods of doing this I can think of are through reverse billed sms (ie shortcodes) or by calls to premium rate voice telephone nos (nos typically beginning 09 in the UK)

Any other suggestions on how I could use the credit, given that I dont want to use it for calls or traditional sms, mms, internet etc, would be more than welcome.  Basically it is some way of transferring the credit on the sim card into some other system.

Some ideas I have at the moment are to use PayMo (http://www.paymo.com/) to get the credit off the sim and it may then be used to buy points in something like MoneyOnline
(http://global.mol.com/global/portal/en/HowTopup.aspx).  I came across this when looking at alternative ways of topping up a SIM card I have in Malaysia.  I have not used any of this and I'm not sure if paymo would have a way of charging me a small amount.

As I see it one of the main problems will be finding a system that will enable me to make most use of the small amount of credit on the SIM.  I.e. if I just have £1 credit then it may be that the lowest reverse billed sms will be for £1, but I also have to pay for the sms to send to the shortcode, which would add an additional 10-15p on to the amount required.

I look forward to hear your suggestions.

We hope you will all enjoy your time with us, and find us a happy community of shared interests - who pool our knowledge, so that we can all come away better informed.
andy

« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2009, 09:20:56 AM »

Seeing as you're earning perhaps up to £30 or so by successive transfers to other networks, perhaps worrying about £1 isn't necessary. Why not use it for phone calls?
amitjajoo

« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2009, 09:56:01 AM »

Seeing as you're earning perhaps up to £30 or so by successive transfers to other networks, perhaps worrying about £1 isn't necessary. Why not use it for phone calls?

Why just £30, if you have spare time, you can keep alternating between Orange & 3G, both of whom are giving £10 for bringing your old no.  Grin
A1ia5

« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2009, 03:59:27 PM »

Thanks for the replies and your on the right track for the bigger picture.

However, it seems a waste to have a free £1 for online registration that I will lose by then porting the no.

TBH there must be hundreds of services that are available for that amount - but what I'd really like is a way of storing some of this value for the longer term or for using it for something that is of better use to me.  This is why I said that using for the obvious ie calls and sms is of no interest, in fact it is really wasting something.

In particular it will be credit on Orange and I have seen it mentioned either here or on PRePaidGSM that Orange places limitations on what the £1 online registration credit can be used for.  However I recall that it may be possible to use the Pre-Dial 09 nos to get a top-up to my pre-dial account.  Although just looking quickly through recent posts, I think Mikael said that he llinking system may not be in place for this yet.  If this is so, then not really much use.

Any other suggestions 09 nos to call or premium rate sms to keep the value in some way ?

We hope you will all enjoy your time with us, and find us a happy community of shared interests - who pool our knowledge, so that we can all come away better informed.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: