Fone Forum
March 28, 2024, 08:02:24 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Fone Forum is pleased to welcome its valued guests and members.  We hope you will all enjoy your time with us, and find us a happy community of shared interests - who pool our knowledge, so that we can all come away better informed.  Wink  Cheesy  Grin

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: T-Mobile trumps O2's unlimited text offer  (Read 16943 times)
mobaholic
Administrator

« on: November 06, 2009, 12:34:03 PM »

BigJohn made a post on "the no-longer-nifty" forum 5 days ago, saying how T-Mobile has expanded its unlimited texts for life scheme, launched in September, to now include unlimited internet (with a fair usage policy of 40MB ) per day.

I was interested in following this up, but wanted to find out more details about their fair use policy before posting.

Having spent a good deal of time using their website online consultant helpers yesterday, I have been told that they have NO FUP on the texts, and that one can send as many as one likes !  I was specifically told that, "of course you could send 12,000", so this at least matches, if not surpasses, the O2 deal which Mikael posted a short while ago here.

However, when the free internet data is taken into consideration, T-Mobile knocks spots off O2 !        Shocked

O2 require you to topup by £15 monthly to get the free internet use, and even then it is only 500 MB.
But T-Mobile now include their free internet use for just a £10 monthly topup, and their 40 MB / day adds up to 1200 MB, in a 30 day month, more than twice the O2 allowance.        Smiley

I know which one I should use if I wanted yet more texts to send !        Wink

Valued guests are cordially invited to join.  Registration is quick & easy, & only needs an email address.  You can then benefit from contributing to our forum, & being able to use our PM system.

If you do not do so, but wish to make contact, you may email:-  theadminteam.foneforum@gmail.com
Mikael
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2009, 12:56:58 PM »

The free data is an interesting development. I have already been having discussions with suppliers about possibly providing SIP access to services I run, so you could use the free data to connect to my services via VOIP, using an application such as Fring installed on your mobile.

Valued guests are cordially invited to join.  Registration is quick & easy, & only needs an email address.  You can then benefit from contributing to our forum, & being able to use our PM system.

If you do not do so, but wish to make contact, you may email:-  theadminteam.foneforum@gmail.com
mobaholic
Administrator

« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2009, 03:33:12 PM »

The free data is an interesting development. I have already been having discussions with suppliers about possibly providing SIP access to services I run, so you could use the free data to connect to my services via VOIP, using an application such as Fring installed on your mobile.

That's interesting Mikael.  I am not actually familiar with using VoIP services other than Skype, and have never tried Fring.        Shocked

I wonder if anybody ( andy or petkow possibly ? ) might be better acquainted with such, and could make a post about it please ?        Undecided

petkow

« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2009, 05:30:35 PM »

Mikael, speaking as someone who makes SIP calls via mobile data every day, I can tell you that would be an excellent idea...but unfortunately so many mobile providers just do not allow VoIP data in their bundles. According to the T's and C's of this particular offer by T-Mobile, VoIP traffic will be blocked, as will most P2P.

I am increasingly concerned that so many providers are now choosing to block or charge separately for VoIP traffic. Though I can understand why (at least from their commercial point of view), I feel the customer should be allowed to choose what he decides to do with his data traffic within his/her allowances! If you want to stream live radio, view video on demand, read text, or make a phone call, then megabytes are still megabytes! Its your data allowance, and you can do with it as you please!

I think there are some countries in Europe (Germany I think) where new consumer rules dictate that networks cannot block access to VoIP services. Maybe this thinking will eventually trickle through to the UK!

Mikael
Administrator

« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2009, 05:33:47 PM »

Mikael, speaking as someone who makes SIP calls via mobile data every day, I can tell you that would be an excellent idea...but unfortunately so many mobile providers just do not allow VoIP data in their bundles. According to the T's and C's of this particular offer by T-Mobile, VoIP traffic will be blocked, as will most P2P.

I am increasingly concerned that so many providers are now choosing to block or charge separately for VoIP traffic. Though I can understand why (at least from their commercial point of view), I feel the customer should be allowed to choose what he decides to do with his data traffic within his/her allowances! If you want to stream live radio, view video on demand, read text, or make a phone call, then megabytes are still megabytes! Its your data allowance, and you can do with it as you please!

I think there are some countries in Europe (Germany I think) where new consumer rules dictate that networks cannot block access to VoIP services. Maybe this thinking will eventually trickle through to the UK!

You are quite correct about the T&Cs on some networks. However, there could be less of an issue using a "Throwaway" SIM. If they cut you off, you have lost nothing!

petkow

« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2009, 06:34:57 PM »

True, but maybe it will already be blocked in advance! I do not know enough about the technologies to do this though, but I do know it can be done!

e.g. In Spain I have 2 PAYG SIMs from 2 different operators. My SIP traffic to my provider (Betamax) is blocked on one of them (I cannot even log on the Server), but works without problems on the other! Normal internet and WAP etc. Work without problems on both. However the 1st provider used to work for SIP as well and then they blocked!

For the T Mobile offer, the text I in the terms (that I meant to post earlier) states:
Remember that you can't use your phone as a modem or use the internet for peer-to-peer file sharing, instant messaging (except if you have a Sidekick) or making internet phone calls.

This reward comes with an internet fair use policy of 40MB a day. We'll monitor how much you send and receive each calendar month so that we can protect our network for all our customers. If you use more than your fair use policy amount, we won't charge you any more, but we may restrict how you can use internet on your phone, depending on how often you go over your amount and by how much.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2009, 10:54:08 AM by petkow » Logged
amitjajoo

« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2009, 01:31:39 PM »

That's interesting Mikael.  I am not actually familiar with using VoIP services other than Skype, and have never tried Fring.        Shocked

I wonder if anybody ( andy or petkow possibly ? ) might be better acquainted with such, and could make a post about it please ?        Undecided

Hi MH,

Fring is nothing but a consolidated messenger which gives one point access to Skype®, MSN Messenger®, Google Talk™, ICQ, SIP, Twitter, Yahoo!™ and AIM®. So rather than having all these applications individually installed, you can just have 1 application, i.e., Fring installed.

Now you have the SIP option in fring where you can configure the Betamax services you would like to use or for that matter any other voip service.
I think this would be an interesting addition to the service by Mikael since data plans are very common now provided voip is allowed in it as voiced by others.

Hope this helps. More can be found at http://www.fring.com/fring_is/what_is_fring/

Cheers
AJ

« Last Edit: November 09, 2009, 03:27:02 PM by Dave » Logged
gudman

« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2009, 06:09:23 PM »

Hi  amitjajoo
I have unlimited internet on O2 (CPW), can I use this as the part of unlimited internet. Is there any one using this service on O2? Thanks for your advice on this.
gudman
Mikael
Administrator

« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2010, 02:08:27 PM »

T-Mobile seem to have reintroduced free texts for life on their PAYG SIMs if you top-up with at least £10 per month. This deal vanished a few months ago, but seems to have reappeared in the last day or so! This deal would have many good uses including use with the text top-up service, and very cheap general texting.

http://www.t-mobile.co.uk/shop/free-pay-as-you-go-sim-cards/

mobaholic
Administrator

« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2010, 02:48:24 PM »

T-Mobile seem to have reintroduced free texts for life on their PAYG SIMs if you top-up with at least £10 per month. This deal vanished a few months ago, but seems to have reappeared in the last day or so! This deal would have many good uses including use with the text top-up service, and very cheap general texting.

http://www.t-mobile.co.uk/shop/free-pay-as-you-go-sim-cards/

This offer is not as good as their Christmas promotion was, as I enjoy 1 GB of internet use per month - in addition to their unlimited texts !        Shocked  Grin

However, the unlimited texts may be all that some people want, and I have had no trouble sending around 800 daily, i.e. approximately 24,000 per month, ( which is twice as generous as O2's unlimited texts. )        Wink  Grin

« Last Edit: May 19, 2010, 02:50:24 PM by mobaholic » Logged

seanjoe

« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2010, 03:41:34 PM »

out of curiosity mob, how do you manage to send 800 per day? i struggle to send 20 at one time using my LG cookie phone. is there a fast method of sending texts. thinking of getting a simple phone for texting heaps. which phone is the best to send lots of texts in one go to make best use of this service, with LEAST effort???
mobaholic
Administrator

« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2010, 07:02:35 PM »

out of curiosity mob, how do you manage to send 800 per day? i struggle to send 20 at one time using my LG cookie phone. is there a fast method of sending texts. thinking of getting a simple phone for texting heaps. which phone is the best to send lots of texts in one go to make best use of this service, with LEAST effort???

As delaro posted in his reply #85 here, the Nokia 6300 is the ideal mobile for sending texts.        Wink

( Nearest current equivalent is the Nokia 6303. )        Wink

Although the Nokia software will allow merely 20 SMS numbers to be added to a distribution list, once you have done that, you can press 'send' say 5 times consecutively, and it will queue 100 messages to be sent in one continuous stream.        Grin

So I send them in batches of 100 a time - and then get on sending other texts from other mobiles concurrently.        Wink

In addition to the 800 or so I send daily from my 6300, I send 150 daily from my '3' contract using a Nokia 7600.  These can only be sent 20 at a time, as it does not allow queuing.        Cry

I may also send 20 a time from my Orange and O2 contracts, using 2 different Motorola L6's.

Both the 7600 and the lowly L6's do not allow queuing, but they do allow you to select a sent message, and then with a single press you can 're-send'.  These include a distribution list of 20 per time.       Wink

HTH

« Last Edit: May 19, 2010, 07:47:27 PM by mobaholic » Logged

petkow

« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2010, 09:16:11 AM »

That's quite a dedicated procedure MH!

Just a thought. Has anyone managed to send concurrent SMS from a PC via a 3G USB dongle, or a Bluetooth tethered phone? If it hasn't already been done someone could probably write a simple little bit of code dedicated to do this, where you could merely enter the number of SMS and away it goes! You might even be able to do it with the firmware software which can be downloaded for free from the modem manufacturers. (e.g. "Mobile Partner" for Huawei modems).

I had a quick google of "Bulk SMS sender" and there is plenty to read through.
andy

« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2010, 10:16:38 AM »

Some Nokia phones can do slightly better

On my E51, I defined 3 or 4 groups of various sizes, like 9 or 15 members; later I increased one group to 30 and then eventually 42 (x 9 = 378). I haven't found a 5 time multi-press send facility as mobaholic mentioned though, and once one is sent the screen goes back to the phonebook list of groups. Also I send a slightly different message each time, in sequence, as a way to keep track of the total if I forget how many I've done.

It can queue more messages than 100, perhaps 200 at a guess, and I'd tend to set up to send 90 to 150; sometimes it would seem unable to send some of them and delay those for a few minutes but carry on with others (I don't know whether this was the phone, the network, or weak signal strength), so there didn't seem much point in trying to queue more. Then I'd pick up the phone a few minutes later and add some more. The sent folder shows the last 200 (hence my guess at the outbox folder size), and the latest just push the oldest out, without causing any blockage issues.
mobaholic
Administrator

« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2010, 10:21:53 AM »

Some Nokia phones can do slightly better

On my E51, I defined 3 or 4 groups of various sizes, like 9 or 15 members; later I increased one group to 30 and then eventually 42 (x 9 = 378). I haven't found a 5 time multi-press send facility as mobaholic mentioned though, and once one is sent the screen goes back to the phonebook list of groups. Also I send a slightly different message each time, in sequence, as a way to keep track of the total if I forget how many I've done.

It can queue more messages than 100, perhaps 200 at a guess, and I'd tend to set up to send 90 to 150; sometimes it would seem unable to send some of them and delay those for a few minutes but carry on with others (I don't know whether this was the phone, the network, or weak signal strength), so there didn't seem much point in trying to queue more. Then I'd pick up the phone a few minutes later and add some more. The sent folder shows the last 200 (hence my guess at the outbox folder size), and the latest just push the oldest out, without causing any blockage issues.

Interesting andy, but I didn't say, or suggest, that 100 was the maximum one can send from the Nokia 6300.  You may be able to send, 200, 300 ... 500 for all I know.  I just seized on 100 as a figure that seemed sensible to me, and made counting easy !        Wink

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: