Fone Forum
March 28, 2024, 10:43:00 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Fone Forum is pleased to welcome its valued guests and members.  We hope you will all enjoy your time with us, and find us a happy community of shared interests - who pool our knowledge, so that we can all come away better informed.  Wink  Cheesy  Grin

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: GiffGaff - a new MVNO on O2 - launches today  (Read 16286 times)
mobileman

« on: November 25, 2009, 12:04:41 PM »

After a long time of waiting, GiffGaff - a new MVNO with a difference - launches today.

Details can be seen here, and on http://giffgaff.com/

It piggybacks on the O2 network, and key points are that if offers free data for 6 months, points for recruiting new members, calls at 8p / minute, texts 4p in the UK, and free calls to other GiffGaff members.

There are no free SIMs at this stage it seems.

Any members obtaining a SIM and trying the service are invited to post their comments below.

mobaholic
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2009, 11:59:56 AM »

I have seen GiffGaff described as the service for RiffRaff.  That may not be fair, but the label may stick, and it certainly looks like 'work in progress' !        Shocked

Apparently the reason that it will offer free data for 6 months is that they have not yet built a billing system for it !  Still at 100MB per day, who is complaining ? !          Grin
See:-   here.        Wink

Looking at http://giffgaff.com/index/pricing, there are some surprises to be found there.
It offers Free Calls to 0800 / 0808 / 0500 Freephone Numbers - so there will be a fresh need for 0800 callthough operators Mikael  Wink ! - as well as to other GiffGaff users.        Smiley
( It will be ironic that O2, the network which always held out against free 0800 calling, is now to allow it's introduction on this new MVNO !  Shocked )

There is one 'nasty' hiding in the pricing document:

Other landlines and mobiles: 8p/min
033, 034, 037:   80p/min        Huh

Given ofcom's regulations, the 03 pricing may well be a careless typo though.        Wink

The main 'bad news' is that it appears that a £10 topup is required every 3 months - which expires after ....... Huh

TheRegister carries an article on GiffGaff also.        Wink

« Last Edit: November 26, 2009, 12:07:10 PM by mobaholic » Logged

Valued guests are cordially invited to join.  Registration is quick & easy, & only needs an email address.  You can then benefit from contributing to our forum, & being able to use our PM system.

If you do not do so, but wish to make contact, you may email:-  theadminteam.foneforum@gmail.com
andy

« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2009, 07:36:34 PM »

The 03x numbers is a misprint, they're 8p

£10 top-up isn't an absolute requirement, but to qualify for free calls to giffgaff users
Mikael
Administrator

« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2009, 07:55:43 PM »

The free calls to 0800 numbers looks very interesting, and could certainly open up some new possibilities. I shall add be looking to add 0800 support into future calling services.

Valued guests are cordially invited to join.  Registration is quick & easy, & only needs an email address.  You can then benefit from contributing to our forum, & being able to use our PM system.

If you do not do so, but wish to make contact, you may email:-  theadminteam.foneforum@gmail.com
ndiqbal

« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2009, 05:15:41 PM »

The free calls to 0800 numbers looks very interesting, and could certainly open up some new possibilities. I shall add be looking to add 0800 support into future calling services.

Do you still remember the Telco days and the 1st telecom... wow those where great days on Orange PAYG!!!!!

Wink

« Last Edit: November 28, 2009, 10:07:13 AM by mobileman » Logged
HiPD

« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2009, 08:07:35 PM »

Do you still remember the Telco days and the 1st telecom... wow those where great days on Orange PAYG!!!!!

Wink

If you mean the days of free 0800 calls were great on Orange, why not say so?  I have never heard them called
"the first Telco days"!

Please don't start top posting here.  Will the Moderator edit his post before others fall into bad habits.  Thanks.

« Last Edit: November 28, 2009, 10:09:35 AM by mobileman » Logged

A message from the dark side you have Wink
Dave
Global Moderator

« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2009, 08:28:27 PM »

I am unable to edit either post tonight due to having problems using WAP.  This will be rectified tomorrow.   

Mikael
Administrator

« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2009, 08:55:31 PM »

Wink

I do remember them indeed! For those who may not know, Telco was the name of one of the first indirect phone providers who provided an 0800 access number that could be used from Orange phones. Looks like this MVNO could provide people that ability to re-live those days.

andy

« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2009, 09:25:05 PM »

Looks like this MVNO could provide people that ability to re-live those days.

I think there's some danger of people getting a bit carried away with this idea.

What's to stop O2 and giffgaff identifying numbers used for such services and barring them? Are there technical properties of even unpublished ones they can pick up on?
« Last Edit: November 27, 2009, 09:32:32 PM by andy » Logged
Mikael
Administrator

« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2009, 09:55:08 PM »

I think there's some danger of people getting a bit carried away with this idea.

What's to stop O2 and giffgaff identifying numbers used for such services and barring them? Are there technical properties of even unpublished ones they can pick up on?

I do agree that those are all possible, but Orange also did plenty of blocking in the old days too, so it was not always plain sailing then either.

« Last Edit: November 28, 2009, 10:08:15 AM by mobileman » Logged

andy

« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2009, 11:20:17 PM »

... but Orange also did plenty of blocking in the old days too, so it was not always plain sailing then either.

I never actually used any callthroughs on 0800 numbers, though maybe I should have tried, as Orange kept them free on OVP Virgin for some time after Virgin itself started charging, but I did read about some services which were changing access numbers quite frequently as each got barred - the thing that made me laugh was the method of finding out the new ones would be as transparent to Orange as anyone - ring one dedicated info line 0800 and the newest callthrough would be read out to you .... and some of these were advertised in the press

Actually I think BT Mobile is a better prospect for this, as they don't have many prepaid customers, and may be paying less attention. If anyone ever gets offered or finds a secondhand BT Mobile SIM, I'd say go for it. I've had mine about 3 years and still don't know how to top it up. Mind you I have hardly used it
mobileman

« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2009, 10:14:34 AM »

I am unable to edit either post tonight due to having problems using WAP.  This will be rectified tomorrow.   

Sorry I wasn't here to deal with this last night Dave.  Thanks for trying.    Smiley

I have now edited the posts of ndiqbal, HiPD, and Mikael.    Shocked

Please will members avoid using nested quotes, and replying to a quote before making it (which HiPD referred to as 'top posting'.)
Both cause unnecessary confusion.    Cry

Thank you.    Smiley

mobaholic
Administrator

« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2009, 11:49:40 AM »

There is a quite funny review of this new service on The register.  It is reproduced below for members' amuzement:-

"GiffGaff, O2's venture into democratic MVNOs, has launched, and its forums are already groaning with customers asking inane questions that other customers struggle to answer.

GiffGaff is supposed to be run by its customers, who can earn credit or cash by answering other customers' questions, signing up more people, or recommending the service - all of which is intended to save the MVNO money for cheaper calls.

Pricing compares well to other SIM-only operations, though GiffGaff is chucking in free data for the first six months or so (no promises) while it polls customers about how much they would like to pay.  The usual T&Cs prevent tethering, or use of any streamed services, but presumably that's up for negotiation too.

The do-it-yourself support isn't quite there yet.  The problem is that those answering the questions are as ill-informed as those asking them, so ultimately a staff member has to provide a definitive answer: "What is evident is that the Community area is badly structured and a seemingly 'free for all' for comments", as one forum member puts it.

Those answering questions do get a cash reward, though GiffGaff isn't saying how much.  The only figures the operator is providing are for signing up a new customer (£5), recommending someone to GiffGaff (£2) and sending a mail to someone saying they really should sign up (50p).

Incentives like that aren't uncommon - 3 will give you a fiver if you sign up a mate - but it will be interesting to see how much customers think they should pay for data and how much GiffGaff starts charging them once the six months is up".

Mikael
Administrator

« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2009, 02:01:52 PM »

Actually I think BT Mobile is a better prospect for this, as they don't have many prepaid customers, and may be paying less attention. If anyone ever gets offered or finds a secondhand BT Mobile SIM, I'd say go for it. I've had mine about 3 years and still don't know how to top it up. Mind you I have hardly used it

Did BT Mobile ever offer free 0800 calls then? I know their PAYG service was not around for long, but I thought they charged for 0800 like all other networks?

mobaholic
Administrator

« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2009, 02:59:41 PM »

Did BT Mobile ever offer free 0800 calls then? I know their PAYG service was not around for long, but I thought they charged for 0800 like all other networks?

According to this:-

HOT TOPIC: Free calls to 0800, 0808 and 0500 Freephone numbers from BT Mobile

When are calls to 0800, 0808 and 0500 Freephone numbers free from my BT Mobile?

From 1 May 2009, calls to 0800, 0808 and 0500 numbers are free from your BT Mobile or BT Total Broadband Anywhere ToGo at any time of day (if you are a BT Mobile consumer contract customer.)

Do I need to opt-in?

No, it's automatic from 1 May 2009 if you are on a BT Mobile consumer contract.  BT Mobile Pre-pay and Business customers will continue to be charged for these calls

Are 0845 and 0870 calls included?

No, calls to these numbers are not included.  Additionally, calls to Internet Service Providers (ISPs) and indirect access numbers are not included.

What is an indirect access number?

An indirect access number is any number which connects you to another number that is both known by and could be directly dialled by you from your BT Mobile.  There are typically two types of these calls.

>  You first dial an 0800 number, and then, while still connected, you dial the intended destination number to be connected

>  You are connected directly to the intended destination number by dialling a pre-programmed 0800 number (which can be done via the internet or by other means).

Can I dial 0800, 0808, or 0500 numbers from abroad for free?

The free calls are available within the UK only. Internationally originated calls will remain charged at the standard BT Mobile international rates

Can I dial as many freephone numbers as I like for as long as I want?

There is a Fair Usage Policy.

You can make 1,000 minutes of freephone calls a month, or 150 calls a month. If you exceed either of these limits you'll just be charged the standard BT Mobile rates until further notice.

Why is there a Fair Usage Policy?

It is important that we set a limit to ensure are able to continue providing free calls to 0800, 0808 and 0500 numbers for all BT Mobile Consumer contract customers. We have set a limit of 1,000 minutes of calls a month, or 150 calls a month. We're confident that we have set these limits so high that you're very unlikely to break them.

What will happen if I exceed the Fair Usage Policy?

If you exceed the Fair Usage Policy (either 1,000 minutes or 150 calls in a given month), you'll receive an SMS informing you that you've breached the Fair Usage Policy and will be charged at BT's standard rates for any further calls to 0800, 0808 and 0500 numbers. If you exceed the Fair Usage Policy you'll no longer receive free calls to 0800, 0808 and 0500 numbers. Details of how to contact us about this will be provided in the SMS notification.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: