Fone Forum
April 25, 2024, 10:54:36 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Fone Forum is pleased to welcome its valued guests and members.  We hope you will all enjoy your time with us, and find us a happy community of shared interests - who pool our knowledge, so that we can all come away better informed.  Wink  Cheesy  Grin

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Unlocked iPhones  (Read 26498 times)
mobaholic
Administrator

« on: November 27, 2009, 11:52:06 AM »

I received an email from a friend today, saying:

Hey
How are you doing?  I bought one white apple iphone 3gs from this website www.hfwpiw.com to my surprise, it's genuine, much cheaper.  You can check it,  Hope all is going well for you.
Kind Regards
Brian

This is how I replied to him:

Thanks for this email Brian.

I have looked at:  http://www.hfwpiw.com/product.asp?classid=504&kkk=436, and the prices look interesting, as you say.

I notice that they are offering unlocked iPhones, but they don't say whether they are unlocked stock sourced abroad, or have been 'jail-broken'.  Do you know any more ?

BTW I don't know if you have heard, but there is a new 'worm virus' that specifically attacks unlocked iPhones.  You can read details of this at:- http://go.theregister.com/news/http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/11/22/malicious_iphone_worm/

Regards.

xxx.

Update and WARNING:-

It subsequently turned out to be a virus which had got hold of my freind's contact list - and emailed all of them without his knowledge.        Huh

***MEMBERS ARE ACCORDINGLY ADVISED NOT TO BUY FROM THIS WEBSITE***

Do any members here have experience of buying stock from this website ?

Comments welcome below.

« Last Edit: November 28, 2009, 11:08:49 AM by mobaholic » Logged

Valued guests are cordially invited to join.  Registration is quick & easy, & only needs an email address.  You can then benefit from contributing to our forum, & being able to use our PM system.

If you do not do so, but wish to make contact, you may email:-  theadminteam.foneforum@gmail.com
amitjajoo

« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2009, 12:01:13 PM »

I would not put my money on someone I dont know nothing about. Lot of chinese copies going around.  Wink
mobaholic
Administrator

« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2009, 12:17:10 PM »

I would not put my money on someone I dont know nothing about. Lot of chinese copies going around.  Wink

I agree with you entirely amitjajoo.        Smiley

Perhaps I should explain that I never advised my friend to make such a purchase, nor was I consulted before he did the deed.  In fact we know one another in a quite different context, and he is not aware of my interest in mobile 'phones at all !  This was one of the things which most interested me when his email arrived this morning 'out of the blue'.        Shocked

He could have been sold a 'lemon' as you say, but he is not unintelligent, so he may be right in believing the product to be genuine.  I thought it worth posting about in case any members here have made a purchase from this website, and could contribute their observations and experiences here.        Wink

Valued guests are cordially invited to join.  Registration is quick & easy, & only needs an email address.  You can then benefit from contributing to our forum, & being able to use our PM system.

If you do not do so, but wish to make contact, you may email:-  theadminteam.foneforum@gmail.com
andy

« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2009, 04:17:56 PM »

as you seem to suspect, it's a Chinese website
mobaholic
Administrator

« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2009, 07:46:00 AM »

as you seem to suspect, it's a Chinese website

It is actually worse than that !

My friend has now told me that it was a virus that took hold of his whole contact list - and sent out those emails without his knowledge.       Huh

***WARNING:- YOU ARE ADVISED NOT BUY FROM THIS WEBSITE.***

I shall place a similar warning on the OP later.

« Last Edit: November 28, 2009, 11:05:56 AM by mobaholic » Logged

andy

« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2009, 01:34:23 PM »

My friend has now told me that it was a virus that took hold of his whole contact list - and sent out those emails without his knowledge.       Huh

You don't surprise me. I'd slightly wondered that earlier, but hesitated to say it

I don't know any figures for how much of the world's spam is coming from China, but I'd be surprised if they aren't in first place, with Russia not far from the top
srikanth.nuli

« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2010, 05:49:52 AM »

Dear Members,

Could any one please suggest me from where can I purchase an Apple iphone 3GS 32GB (Black) Sim free and unlocked handset from? Will there be any difference to the price offered in O2 store for the pay as you go phone and the sim free unlocked phone?

Also I would be glad if you could let me know where can I purchase Blackberry Bold 9700 sim free unlocked phone from?

Will there be any kind of cash back facilities available for these kind of purchases?

Thanking you

Regards,
Srikanth.

P.S:-

The main intention is to use the phone as long as I am in UK and there after to use it in India which can be possible only by a sim free unlocked  phone.
mobileman

« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2010, 10:23:17 AM »

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=SIM+free+iPhone    Wink

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=SIM+free+Bold+9700    Wink

No of course there won't be any cash back: how could there be?    Undecided

Cashback is generated when there is a contract awarding commission, not when there isn't one!    Wink

SIM free means no contract means no cash back.    Roll Eyes

« Last Edit: February 26, 2010, 10:32:21 AM by mobileman » Logged
mobaholic
Administrator

« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2010, 11:15:53 AM »

NewStarter has sent me a helpful PM, pointing out that small cashback amounts can sometimes be earned from sites such as quidco or topcashback on pay & go mobiles.  Whether this extends to SIM free handsets, I wouldn't know, but it might be worth exploring.

I am sure that mobileman was referring to contract cashback deals, where sizeable amounts of money can sometimes be earned, and he was quite right in saying that SIM free would be excluded from those.

HTH.

srikanth.nuli

« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2010, 03:22:44 PM »

Dear Mobile Man and Mobaholic,

Thanks for your reply. I have looked at both the links that you had given above, I was in a bit of doubt whether some sites shown on the search are genuine and authenticated sellers or not.

Does anyone have any idea which one can I rely up on?

Mobaholic, could you please elaborate on your suggestion what does this quidco offers ? Do I have to buy through their site in order to be eligible (in general) ?

Thanking you

Regards,
Srikanth.
mobaholic
Administrator

« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2010, 03:40:10 PM »

I am not sure what further help I can offer to you, as I have never bought a mobile 'phone on cashback personally, except for contracts through carphonewarehouse or their e2save offshoot.  All of my pay & go mobiles have been purchased in carphonewarehouse stores, and I have never bought a SIM free handset either ( though I have had several handsets unlocked. )

As for so called cashback sites, such as quidco or topcashback, I have never used them yet ( though I have opened accounts with both of them. )  quidco keep the first £5 of cashback that you earn each year to pay for their administrative expenses.  topcashback give you all of the cashback you earn I believe.  But a better deal on quidco may generate more cashback for you, even with £5 being retained, than a poorer one elsewhere.  So you need to examine all offers fairly carefully yourself to see what may suit you best.

I must leave it to others to say what their experience is of using cashback sites, or of purchasing SIM free handsets, and I know about neither of these as I have said.

NewStarter

« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2010, 04:29:01 PM »

I have used both topcashback and quidco.. (quidco only once and the cashback was denied as I had used another promotional code). I always prefer to go via topcashback (earned more than 220 pounds) if both of them have same cashback offer.

Products from play.com are definitely reliable. Note that iphone on their website is too expensive (including 3.5% cashback) compared to other listed sites. But how much can you trust other sites?? No idea  Huh
delaro
Global Moderator

« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2010, 04:49:54 PM »

why don't you consider a different handset? like e72.. this handset is definetly worth attention
http://www.hotukdeals.com/item/616879/free-nokia-e72-500-mins-unlimited-t

NewStarter

« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2010, 05:07:59 PM »

Dear Mobile Man and Mobaholic,

Thanks for your reply. I have looked at both the links that you had given above, I was in a bit of doubt whether some sites shown on the search are genuine and authenticated sellers or not.

Does anyone have any idea which one can I rely up on?

Mobaholic, could you please elaborate on your suggestion what does this quidco offers ? Do I have to buy through their site in order to be eligible (in general) ?

Thanking you

Regards,
Srikanth.

Personally I am not too much fascinated by iphone. But if I were you, I would have bought a PAYG iphone from O2 here http://shop.o2.co.uk/promo/iphoneindex/Pay_And_Go/3G_S/Black and then unlock it for one time cost of 15 pounds. Thats the cheapest you can get now I guess.. I am happy if some one finds a better deal. The advantage of going with O2 PAYG is that you get unlimited data and wifi free for first 12 months (or until you unlock)..
srikanth.nuli

« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2010, 07:45:03 PM »

Dear New Starter and others,

Thanks for your replies. Yesterday when I contacted O2 customer services they informed me that unlimited data and wi-fi is  not applicable on PAYG iphone. I thought it wasn't correct, I have to go to an O2 store and check with them.

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: