Fone Forum
March 19, 2024, 03:25:20 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Fone Forum is pleased to welcome its valued guests and members.  We hope you will all enjoy your time with us, and find us a happy community of shared interests - who pool our knowledge, so that we can all come away better informed.  Wink  Cheesy  Grin

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: A word about 'spam'.  (Read 54753 times)
mobaholic
Administrator

« on: December 30, 2009, 06:45:22 PM »

Some members here think that it is important to fight 'spam', but we all have differing ideas about what constitutes such.

In my Introduction to foneforum I laid down our forum rules, but perhaps not quite enough was said there to clarify our position on this subject.

I have always told potential new members that they are welcome to advertise their website in their profile page, but not in their signature panel.  However, I have been surprised today to find no mention of this in the forum rules, when I looked to check.  This post is to redress that omission.

A few members, who have registered here recently, have placed website links in their signature panels, as well as on their profile pages.  There have been objections to this, as it is a custom for spammers to do just such to advertise a commercial venture.  This may well have been done in ignorance of the (apparently previously unspecified) rule.  However, I have now edited their signatures, at the request of a knowledgeable member here, and this post is to specify the reason why, and to apologize to anyone who is upset as seeing a change in their settings, explaining my reason for so acting.

I will repeat that all members are free to advertise their own website on their profile page, and no changes have been made to anyone's profile page.

Valued guests are cordially invited to join.  Registration is quick & easy, & only needs an email address.  You can then benefit from contributing to our forum, & being able to use our PM system.

If you do not do so, but wish to make contact, you may email:-  theadminteam.foneforum@gmail.com
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: