Fone Forum
March 29, 2024, 08:41:04 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Fone Forum is pleased to welcome its valued guests and members.  We hope you will all enjoy your time with us, and find us a happy community of shared interests - who pool our knowledge, so that we can all come away better informed.  Wink  Cheesy  Grin

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Looking for HTC Hero  (Read 5965 times)
petkow

« on: January 18, 2010, 02:58:24 AM »

I know you guys are pretty sharp at finding dood deals. Someone I know is looking for a HTC Hero and almost got it here:
http://www.handtec.co.uk/product.php?xProd=2156

I suggested http://www.e2save.com/contract-phone/HTC+Hero/46/HERO?tariffcode=D30TEJAN09 at around £22 per month over 2 years which still works out cheaper than the SIM free price of £320. However, I'm sure someone has got some better tips?  Smiley

TIA
mobaholic
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2010, 10:32:46 AM »

I know you guys are pretty sharp at finding dood deals. Someone I know is looking for a HTC Hero and almost got it here:
http://www.handtec.co.uk/product.php?xProd=2156

I suggested http://www.e2save.com/contract-phone/HTC+Hero/46/HERO?tariffcode=D30TEJAN09 at around £22 per month over 2 years which still works out cheaper than the SIM free price of £320. However, I'm sure someone has got some better tips?  Smiley

TIA

I guess the answer to that depends in part on what your friend wants it for !

Does he want it on a contract to get a network subsidy: if so, on what network ?        Undecided

Does it have to be unlocked: if so, you are well placed to check with your clever friend WebKami to find out how easy / cheap it would be to get one unlocked ( if that is possible currently. )        Wink

If he wants one SIM free, is it available through multiple sources, or only the manufacturer's website ?        Undecided

Is your friend willing to consider cashback sites, such as quidco, topcashback, etc ?        Undecided

Please tell us a little more, so that we have some idea of the direction in which he wants to go, and we can hunt.

« Last Edit: January 18, 2010, 10:35:50 AM by mobaholic » Logged

Valued guests are cordially invited to join.  Registration is quick & easy, & only needs an email address.  You can then benefit from contributing to our forum, & being able to use our PM system.

If you do not do so, but wish to make contact, you may email:-  theadminteam.foneforum@gmail.com
petkow

« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2010, 11:33:04 AM »

Hi MH. Thanks for the response. Sorry for not being clearer earlier. He is just interested in the phone by whatever means possible, mainly for the purposes of testing software he is developing. The network is not too important, though I think only Orange, TMobile and Vodafone are doing it AFIK. Ideally he wanted it SIM Free and unlocked, but the fact that it would come with a contract (to reduce the overall price) does not matter to him. In terms of unlocking it (if that bothers him), I heard that this will be fairly straight forward. I have also made him aware of the cashback sites!

If he is getting a contract he is primarily wanting something with a generous data allowance for himself, but obviously lots of minutes and texts obviously keep everyone else happy too!  Wink If he does end up useing it with a PAYG SIM, I have already told him about the options for cheap/free data such as TMobile and GiffGaff.
mobaholic
Administrator

« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2010, 11:48:36 AM »

Hi MH. Thanks for the response. Sorry for not being clearer earlier. He is just interested in the phone by whatever means possible, mainly for the purposes of testing software he is developing. The network is not too important, though I think only Orange, TMobile and Vodafone are doing it AFIK. Ideally he wanted it SIM Free and unlocked, but the fact that it would come with a contract (to reduce the overall price) does not matter to him. In terms of unlocking it (if that bothers him), I heard that this will be fairly straight forward. I have also made him aware of the cashback sites!

If he is getting a contract he is primarily wanting something with a generous data allowance for himself, but obviously lots of minutes and texts obviously keep everyone else happy too!  Wink If he does end up useing it with a PAYG SIM, I have already told him about the options for cheap/free data such as TMobile and GiffGaff.

OK thanks petkow.        Smiley

The preference for unlocked, and the required use of software development, make me think along the lines of simply buying one SIM free.        Wink

If budgetary considerations have to be made, and a network subsidy is preferable, I should personally avoid both Orange and Vodafone for contracts, because of their low data allowance.  T-Mobile would be my choice right now ( but note their tariffs are reported to be changing from February 1st. )        Wink

Given that the HTC Hero will work on 2100 MHz and give HSDPA, according to http://www.gsmarena.com/htc_hero-2861.php, my own choice for data use would be to buy one SIM free - and then use a '3' Pre-Pay SIM in it.  2 GB for a £5 monthly Add On is still hard to beat.        Smiley

( Giff gaff is fine right now, but it's free data is due to run out on the 25th May, and nothing is yet known of how they will charge for it after that. )        Wink

HTH.

Valued guests are cordially invited to join.  Registration is quick & easy, & only needs an email address.  You can then benefit from contributing to our forum, & being able to use our PM system.

If you do not do so, but wish to make contact, you may email:-  theadminteam.foneforum@gmail.com
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: