Fone Forum
March 19, 2024, 06:51:44 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Fone Forum is pleased to welcome its valued guests and members.  We hope you will all enjoy your time with us, and find us a happy community of shared interests - who pool our knowledge, so that we can all come away better informed.  Wink  Cheesy  Grin

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Free Truphone Sim with with £5 credit  (Read 34425 times)
getcopy

« on: February 22, 2010, 08:53:26 PM »

Find the offer here.

It says -
To celebrate the launch of Truphone's new mobile service, we're giving you the chance to get a Truphone Local Anywhere SIM card for free.
Simply fill in the order form, and a free Truphone Local Anywhere SIM will be mailed to you. We even pay the postage.
The offer ends March 19, so order your SIM today!

Truphone Local Anywhere SIM card
with £5 or $7.50 USD credit *
Free worldwide shipping
* UK and EEA residents will receive £5, everyone else will get $7.50

Please enter promo code as F23T5J

« Last Edit: February 22, 2010, 09:48:28 PM by getcopy » Logged
mobaholic
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2010, 08:57:26 PM »

Thanks getcopy.        Smiley

As you are still online, can you tell members something about Truephone please.

Valued guests are cordially invited to join.  Registration is quick & easy, & only needs an email address.  You can then benefit from contributing to our forum, & being able to use our PM system.

If you do not do so, but wish to make contact, you may email:-  theadminteam.foneforum@gmail.com
panda

« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2010, 09:30:58 PM »

Find the offer here.

It says -
To celebrate the launch of Truphone's new mobile service, we're giving you the chance to get a Truphone Local Anywhere SIM card for free.
Simply fill in the order form, and a free Truphone Local Anywhere SIM will be mailed to you. We even pay the postage.
The offer ends March 19, so order your SIM today!

Truphone Local Anywhere SIM card
with £5 or $7.50 USD credit *
Free worldwide shipping
* UK and EEA residents will receive £5, everyone else will get $7.50

To Subscribe for sim it requires a promo code. Any idea.
PD
seanjoe

« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2010, 09:35:22 PM »

Rates are quite expensive, 15p for a call? 8p for  a text. why would we be interested in this?
BJ

« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2010, 09:40:39 PM »

Rates are quite expensive, 15p for a call? 8p for  a text. why would we be interested in this?

Yes but strictly its not intended to be used solely from the UK ,its prime use is when roaming, and apart from that you get £ 5 free credit with it.Grin

Have a read of this for its full features and  benefits : http://www.truphone.com/local-anywhere/about.html

« Last Edit: February 22, 2010, 09:53:12 PM by BJ » Logged
getcopy

« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2010, 09:47:26 PM »

To Subscribe for sim it requires a promo code. Any idea.
PD
Sorry, I forgot to mention that, it is - F23T5J.
I'll update the OP
getcopy

« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2010, 09:55:01 PM »

Thanks getcopy.        Smiley
I found following on their website.
Truphone Local Anywhere is a global mobile SIM service which combines low cost calling and ultimate convenience saving you money on your mobile whether you are travelling, living or working overseas.
 We give local rates for calls, texts and data in any country where we operate  - plus local numbers - all on the same SIM.

I have not used the service before, so I don't know much about them. I have ordered the Sim today only.
BJ

« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2010, 10:09:57 PM »

Which is exactly the info  your find if you follow the link i posted previously Smiley

Thanks for the heads up getcopy

I ordered one and got a response saying

"Thank you for ordering your free Truphone Local Anywhere SIM Card.

For UK deliveries, please allow 5 working days for delivery."
« Last Edit: February 22, 2010, 10:26:15 PM by BJ » Logged
petkow

« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2010, 10:19:09 PM »

It's mainly a service for frequent travellers to the USA... Other countries roaming rates are not that great yet!
andy

« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2010, 10:21:39 PM »

Yes but strictly its not intended to be used solely from the UK ,its prime use is when roaming, and apart from that you get £ 5 free credit with it.Grin

I'm not sure where I'd use it much while roaming either, as apart from USA I can't see notably cheaper rates than roaming with ordinary main networks, and no free incoming calls anywhere.

Truphone is a VoIP provider, mainly targetted at mobile use over wi-fi with a client people can install on a range of phones.

For quite a while, they had free outgoing calls to a range of countries, but these are now 2 or 3 pence a minute. The free calls were partly subsidised by incoming termination fees on the mobile numbers they issued customers, first of all 076240 rented from Manx, then their own number series of 079788. The installed client can automatically forward the Truphone number to the SIM in the phone, useful with local or global SIMs while abroad. It also sets itself up to make any international calls the user dials. I got fed up with it when it did this for sms as well, even after I thought I'd uninstalled it.

They bought Sim4Travel a while ago, April 2008 it seems, so people have been looking forward to how they might integrate the two products.

Truphone Local Anywhere was first mentioned about a year ago at the previous MWC, so it has been coming soon for some time.

And it looks like it still is. They have only 2 countries as incoming number options so far. I've seen someone who knows quite a bit about this field say it takes quite a long time to set up stuff like this ...
« Last Edit: February 22, 2010, 10:35:38 PM by andy » Logged
BJ

« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2010, 10:38:14 PM »

Hi Andy.

Is the ability to have UK and Intl Numbers on your sim something that other suppliers offer.
andy

« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2010, 10:56:59 PM »

UK and US ones so far, on a few providers, such as ekit and Callkey and their resellers, and these are using a dual- or multi-ID SIM

Strictly speaking, not UK but Isle of Man in those cases, and very likely Jersey for Truphone, as this is what they used for Sim4travel. And the US ID of the former and presumably also Truphone is based on modest regional brands with roaming agreements with both AT&T and T-mobile (and perhaps others)

The multi-SIM provider sets things up so that calls can be made to either number, though only one SIM ID is actually in use, and the US ID should be used in USA. The IoM number tends to have free incoming calls in 50 to 100 countries including USA, and to the US number the incoming rate is maybe in the order of 15 pence 25 cents a minute, though one ekit one is cheaper while in USA.

There are also others which offer options of a landline DID number simply forwarded to the underlying mobile number, and these have a range of countries available.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2010, 01:20:00 AM by andy » Logged
andy

« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2010, 12:40:42 PM »

The email about these should have had a different promotional code for each person on their mailing list, and quite likely did. Truphone are a bit confused at the moment, suspecting there was a glitch in the email, sending everyone the same, but it looks to me quite possible that it was originally leaked by just one person
getcopy

« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2010, 09:28:45 PM »

I received the SIM and activated it as per instructions in the welcome letter. Everything went well and the balance is now shown as £5  Wink
mike

« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2010, 11:01:50 AM »

I received the SIM and activated it as per instructions in the welcome letter. Everything went well and the balance is now shown as £5  Wink

You are ahead of me, as mine hasn't come yet.  Cry

If you have found out lots about Truephone, will you kindly post about what it's best features are?  Undecided

TIA.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: