Fone Forum
April 25, 2024, 02:23:19 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Fone Forum is pleased to welcome its valued guests and members.  We hope you will all enjoy your time with us, and find us a happy community of shared interests - who pool our knowledge, so that we can all come away better informed.  Wink  Cheesy  Grin

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Free International Texts  (Read 37103 times)
mobaholic
Administrator

« on: April 03, 2010, 11:31:28 AM »

I have just come across an interesting site, claiming to forward texts to selected foreign destinations for free.        Shocked

http://www.freetextsabroad.com/        Wink

The selected destinations are shown here.        Wink

I have not tried it yet, but would be interested to see how it works in practice.

Anyone have any experience of using this service ?        Undecided

Valued guests are cordially invited to join.  Registration is quick & easy, & only needs an email address.  You can then benefit from contributing to our forum, & being able to use our PM system.

If you do not do so, but wish to make contact, you may email:-  theadminteam.foneforum@gmail.com
Mikael
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2010, 04:03:35 PM »

Yes, this is a service operated by one of my suppliers. They took an idea of mine and have implemented it. However I'm working on a better service which will have greater coverage and more features.

Valued guests are cordially invited to join.  Registration is quick & easy, & only needs an email address.  You can then benefit from contributing to our forum, & being able to use our PM system.

If you do not do so, but wish to make contact, you may email:-  theadminteam.foneforum@gmail.com
HiPD

« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2010, 05:00:43 PM »

Yes, this is a service operated by one of my suppliers. They took an idea of mine and have implemented it. However I'm working on a better service which will have greater coverage and more features.

We can sympathise with you Mikael if they pinched your idea.   Huh

But if the idea was yours first of all, isn't it somewhat remiss of you not to get your service working first?   Undecided

If your superior service was working already, there would be less temptation for others to launch inferior versions I should have thought.  Wink

A message from the dark side you have Wink
Mikael
Administrator

« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2010, 05:33:12 PM »

Well they were going to run a service for me, but they were never able to commit to getting the features I wanted. They just launched it in its most basic form. It is not a problem, as I am hopefully going to get the service I want to run going very soon.

HiPD

« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2010, 07:42:46 PM »

OK sorry Mikael.  I await your service eagerly.  Smiley

A message from the dark side you have Wink
petkow

« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2010, 11:30:13 AM »

Interesting service. I just tried it to one of the destinations, and it was nice that my ID went through with the message. Also it is fast! However it was not clear from the response that I got whether both parts of the multi-part message went through or not. Does anyone know if multiple messages are supported?

Also the HTML title of the page seems to say "Cheap 0871 calls".  Is this another plan of theirs, or a mistake?
petkow

« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2010, 11:43:35 AM »

To answer my own question, I just found out that multi-SMS does not work. Each part needs the header number so that their system knows where to send it to. So you are limited to the length of one message minus the space required to write the full international number of the recipient in the body of the text.

I wonder if it would be possible to change the message center number in the phone settings to this number, and send direct? I do not know enough about how SMS works but I presume this will not work, as you still need the base operators message center number for sending to any recipient. Or would there be a way?
« Last Edit: April 05, 2010, 11:46:30 AM by petkow » Logged
mobaholic
Administrator

« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2010, 01:53:29 PM »

Helpful posts: thanks petkow.        Smiley

guy-london

« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2010, 03:58:20 PM »

hi
I just checked from my t-mobile its working fine and i am not charge even a single pane.
Thanks very much for this
seanjoe

« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2010, 09:55:34 PM »

i have tried sending to a new zealand mobile, but no luck. did it with the +xxx and msg. of just a few words. can anyone tell me how long it takes to send. i have the nz mobile on roaming here in the uk and can receive text messages at no cost. but no message is coming through?
petkow

« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2010, 10:56:58 PM »

It usually only takes a few seconds. At least in my case (to Bahrain) that's what it did!

I take it you are typing +642xxxxxxxx (11 numbers total) and then the message? To be honest, I had my doubts as to whether NZ would really work, as unlike some of the other destinations that it offers, the wholesale SMS rates to NZ are a little on the higher side. I have a few friends there that I was wanting to test on as well. I will report back if it works.
delaro
Global Moderator

« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2010, 08:18:41 PM »

There's no Poland or Germany on the free international text list, so I won't even bother with it, but by all means Mikael let us know once your service is ready and running (and offers these 2 countries). It's quite comic for my friends abroad when I tell them I can call them virtually for free but have to pay to text them  Grin

Regards

dlR

shahidukok

« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2010, 12:01:38 PM »

mike

« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2010, 12:18:15 PM »

shahidukok

« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2010, 08:29:15 PM »

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: