Fone Forum
March 28, 2024, 12:20:18 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Fone Forum is pleased to welcome its valued guests and members.  We hope you will all enjoy your time with us, and find us a happy community of shared interests - who pool our knowledge, so that we can all come away better informed.  Wink  Cheesy  Grin

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Great resource for Skype users.  (Read 13862 times)
mobaholic
Administrator

« on: April 07, 2010, 10:00:43 AM »

I came across a new service yesterday which I think is a fantastic resource for Skype users ( including on the '3' network. )        Smiley

http://www.ring2skype.com/        Smiley

Both Graham and I have been checking it out, and we find it works very well indeed.        Wink

It provides free local numbers, in some 40 countries around the world, which will connect a local call directly to a given Skypename.
So people abroad can call you on a local number, and you will receive the call on your Skype service, whether that is on a PC, or a '3' mobile handset.
How else can a call be placed to a UK mobile for just the cost of a local call ?        Undecided

To answer some questions that may arise, I will paste in selected bits from their FAQs.

What is the difference between Ring2Skype and a Skype Online Number (SkypeIn™)?
    Ring2Skype is FREE.  Skype charges you for an online number.  Another difference is that Ring2Skype provides
    for numbers in more than 100 destinations, while Skype only in 20.

What is an online number?
    An online number is your own personal telephone number people can call you on, but which you answer directly
    on our Skype.
    With an online number friends who aren't using Skype can reach you by dialling your online number - you receive
    and answer the call in Skype no matter where in the world you are.

Why do I get a phone number plus an extension?  Can't I just get an individual phone number without the extension?
    Unfortunately, the only way we can offer this service for free is to give a pre-fixed local number plus your own
    private extension.  If you want to get a local number without the extension, there are several companies that
    offer this service, but they all charge a fee.

Advice for receiving calls on a '3' mobile such as the S2:-

Some people have trouble getting their mobile to ring when a call is received on their S2.  There are 2 simple things to do to get this to work.

The first thing is to go into your Skype, select Tools, then select allow calls from all senders ( i.e. not just from your Skype contacts. )        Wink
Secondly, to be doubly sure, add ring2skype.net to your list of Skype contacts.        Wink

HTH.

« Last Edit: April 07, 2010, 01:44:13 PM by mobaholic » Logged

Valued guests are cordially invited to join.  Registration is quick & easy, & only needs an email address.  You can then benefit from contributing to our forum, & being able to use our PM system.

If you do not do so, but wish to make contact, you may email:-  theadminteam.foneforum@gmail.com
Graham

« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2010, 08:14:47 PM »

Looking at comments posted on the Ring2skype.com site by current users, this service could prove very useful to members who regularly like to stay in contact with friends and family in expensive destinations, eg. Pakistan, U.A.E., Qatar, etc.  Smiley

" Thanks Ring2skype for this awesome service. My parents are happy to contact me through a local telephone in Karachi, Pakistan and I answer my call on skype, Awesome!!!!!!!!!. I have a question. Is this service for Pakistan is permanent as I am planning to buy a Skype Telephone to connect it to my laptop which will be a lot easier than headset. If yes then I will buy the skype phone. Once again Awesome service. "      Niz, 28/10/2009.

" Wonderful Service. I have many relatives in Us and Canada I’m living in UAE its really amazing they can call their local number and its ringing here in UAE. I have Skype on my mobile with 24hrs GPRS. It’s really wonder full service."              GDS, 3/10/2009.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2010, 08:25:20 PM by Graham » Logged
BJ

« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2010, 08:17:08 PM »

I am surprised you guys  didnt pick it up a lot  earlier.

See: http://www.telecomforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=4134.0

Not like your goodselves. Wink
« Last Edit: April 07, 2010, 08:18:58 PM by BJ » Logged
Graham

« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2010, 08:24:09 PM »

Might have known you'd be way ahead of the rest of us, BJ. Smiley
petkow

« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2010, 11:38:51 PM »

I really do have a terrible memory!  Roll Eyes This was me 8 months ago. (Probably after seeing BJ's post on Telecomforum)
http://www.prepaidgsm.net/forum/callback-voip-satellite-all-other-technologies/5197-skype-gateways.html
And then I was still all excited about it when I saw this post here today. Grin
« Last Edit: April 07, 2010, 11:42:24 PM by petkow » Logged
mobaholic
Administrator

« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2010, 09:43:58 AM »

I am surprised you guys  didnt pick it up a lot  earlier.

See: http://www.telecomforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=4134.0

Not like your goodselves. Wink

LOL fair comment BJ.        Smiley

But now that I have taken a look at your original posting, the link for which you kindly supplied, how come you wrote your last sentence ?        Undecided

Unfortunately you cant divert from your mobile/landline to Skype using service because of extension number.

Haven't you heard of a Pause command ?        Undecided

I have called successfully from my mobile using xxxP500, and Graham has done the same thing on his landline!         Grin

It is my turn now to be surprised about you !        Cheesy

Valued guests are cordially invited to join.  Registration is quick & easy, & only needs an email address.  You can then benefit from contributing to our forum, & being able to use our PM system.

If you do not do so, but wish to make contact, you may email:-  theadminteam.foneforum@gmail.com
BJ

« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2010, 08:25:46 PM »

Hi mobaholic

I am of course aware of the pause facility and that if you dial the access number followed by the  pause followed by the extension number your get through.

But have you or anyone else actually managed to divert a call using your networks call divert facility direct to the extension, was you able to incorporate the pause and the extension in the number string and get the divert system to accept it. I have always found that unless you insert a normal phone number without any extras you get the response number invalid.Have i got it wrong?

Regards. BJ.
mobaholic
Administrator

« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2010, 08:41:57 PM »

Hi mobaholic

I am of course aware of the pause facility and that if you dial the access number followed by the  pause followed by the extension number your get through.

But have you or anyone else actually managed to divert a call using your networks call divert facility direct to the extension, was you able to incorporate the pause and the extension in the number string and get the divert system to accept it. I have always found that unless you insert a normal phone number without any extras you get the response number invalid.Have i got it wrong?

Regards. BJ.

Thanks for your reply BJ, and for your interesting question ( which alas I don't quite understand. )

Let me tell you what I have found, then you can explain what I don't understand in your reply.

I have conducted tests with Graham, whereby I have called him on his S2 using a stored string on my mobile - with a pause in between the number and his extension.  That worked fine.        Smiley

He in turn has called me on my S2, using his landline, on which he has used one of his memory buttons to store my number - pause - extension, ( though he didn't go into any details about how to do that. )

So I know from this that it is possible to connect, using either a landline or a mobile.        Wink

Now where does the network divert feature come in to the picture BJ ?        Undecided
I can't actually think of a reason why anyone would want to use such.        Shocked

petkow

« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2010, 09:30:57 PM »

I can't actually think of a reason why anyone would want to use such.        Shocked
I can! If you want to setup a callback (from a 3rd party provider) to this extension number, this would probably not work... as the 3rd party system has no way of programming in pauses into the callback number that you specify!

A standard mobile divert would also not work... though presumably there would be little incentive to do so as you might as well just divert to the Three mobile directly. After all, cross network calls get charged the same as calls to the landline number of ring2skype (on practically all mobile networks).
BJ

« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2010, 09:55:34 PM »

Your talking about dialling the access number from a phone.

I was talking about diverting calls to the access number when i said.

"Unfortunately you cant divert from your mobile/landline to Skype using service because of extension number."

One of the reasons you might want to use call divert with this service would be to get cheaper diverted calls from your landline to your 3 mobile as you would only be paying for a geographical call and it might even be inclusive depending on your bundle. Where as diverted calls to 3 mobiles can work out expensive.

I have some  local to me Geographical Voip numbers which i sometimes need to divert to my 3 mobile. If i could have diverted them by using call divert to the ring to skype number i would have saved money. Grin

petkow

« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2010, 12:52:31 AM »

I have some  local to me Geographical Voip numbers which i sometimes need to divert to my 3 mobile. If i could have diverted them by using call divert to the ring to skype number i would have saved money. Grin
There are some software solutions which would solve this for you, but as far as I know I think they always require a PC to be switched on and logged on. The software just monitors the softphone which your Voip number is allocated to and bridges any calls coming in on it, to a Skype client running on the same PC. You will obviously need that one to be logged on as a different username, so that the Skype client can then ring you on your own username on the Three phone.

You could do this all quite simply if you built an Asterisk server, but you can also do it easier than that. I think there are some free programs, but I cannot seem to find them right now. However, here is a reasonably cheap one, which will even let you try it for 14 days for free here:
http://www.nch.com.au/skypetosip/

Also see: http://www.asteriskvoipnews.com/asterisk_development/skypetoasterisksip_progress_part_1.html
petkow

« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2010, 01:01:45 AM »

Oh yes... the same software can obviously also do it the other way around as well, i.e. Take a Skype call and route it back to your SIP softphone. This could potentially be even more interesting for us... but not to Three!  Lips sealed (Think of all those fantastic Betamax rates on your Three handset).

Unfortunately this thread has now been split and I have no idea where I am anymore!  Wink
mobaholic
Administrator

« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2010, 10:03:36 AM »

I can! If you want to setup a callback (from a 3rd party provider) to this extension number, this would probably not work... as the 3rd party system has no way of programming in pauses into the callback number that you specify!

A standard mobile divert would also not work... though presumably there would be little incentive to do so as you might as well just divert to the Three mobile directly. After all, cross network calls get charged the same as calls to the landline number of ring2skype (on practically all mobile networks).

I am not sure whether the thing you are talking about is in cloud cuckoo land petkow !        Shocked

All the ( few ) callback services I have looked at, or used, require you to subscribe from your 'phone, and to send the trigger call or message from it too.  How could you set that up on a multiple extension number, that wasn't even your own?        Undecided

( However I admit to being a novice on the subject of callback services, so feel free to correct any wrong impressions that I have picked up. )         Smiley

« Last Edit: April 09, 2010, 10:17:50 AM by mobaholic » Logged

mobaholic
Administrator

« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2010, 10:10:28 AM »

Your talking about dialling the access number from a phone.

I was talking about diverting calls to the access number when i said.

"Unfortunately you cant divert from your mobile/landline to Skype using service because of extension number."

OK BJ.        Smiley

One of the reasons you might want to use call divert with this service would be to get cheaper diverted calls from your landline to your 3 mobile as you would only be paying for a geographical call and it might even be inclusive depending on your bundle. Where as diverted calls to 3 mobiles can work out expensive.

Good point, but it wouldn't have occurred to me - as I never divert calls anywhere !        Wink
( All call diverts would cost me money, and I am allergic to paying for them ! )        Grin

I have some local to me Geographical Voip numbers which i sometimes need to divert to my 3 mobile. If i could have diverted them by using call divert to the ring to skype number i would have saved money. Grin

In those circumstances, I see the potential advantage that you suggest.        Smiley

I am afraid that I was approaching this service from a far simpler angle - namely that people without Skype, from many countries in the world, can call you on your Skype ( PC or mobile ) for just the cost of a local call.        Wink

« Last Edit: April 09, 2010, 10:24:08 AM by mobaholic » Logged

mobaholic
Administrator

« Reply #14 on: April 09, 2010, 10:12:52 AM »

Unfortunately this thread has now been split and I have no idea where I am anymore!  Wink

I am sorry, but I simply do not believe that you are so unintelligent that you cannot read 2 threads.         Wink

Pull the other one !        Grin

« Last Edit: April 09, 2010, 10:25:12 AM by mobaholic » Logged

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: