Fone Forum
April 26, 2024, 09:57:30 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Fone Forum is pleased to welcome its valued guests and members.  We hope you will all enjoy your time with us, and find us a happy community of shared interests - who pool our knowledge, so that we can all come away better informed.  Wink  Cheesy  Grin

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 3 offers a WiFi hotspot in your car  (Read 9535 times)
mobaholic
Administrator

« on: April 12, 2010, 01:39:22 PM »

MANY OF US already know how useful WiFi connectivity can be in an airplane or on a train, but now 3 is now pushing WiFi for the car.

The "In Car WiFi" kit basically works by connecting to a 3G network, creating a personal WiFi network that a user carrying anything from a netbook to a mobile phone can use.

Previously if you wanted to use an Internet connection in your car you would need either a dongle or a 3G enabled device, but these can be unreliable at the best of times, and especially when you're in a fast moving vehicle.

David Kerrigan, head of Internet services at 3, plugged research which said that more than a quarter of the UK population are interested in having the Internet in their cars.

So 3 unveiled its In Car WiFi kit at the Gadget Show that's being held in Birmingham.  But as 3 admitted to us, it is actually the 3 MiFi Huawei E5830, a 'MiFi' device the Inquirer has already reviewed.

These sorts of devices have already gotten a bit of attention because they enable you to have a WiFi hotspot anywhere.

With this 3 has basically rebadged it, put in a different charger that can work with a car's electrical supply and added £10 onto the price, which is now about £60.

It's all about the marketing.  There's nothing spectacularly new and different about it, as it's already about three months old.

Source:-   TheInquirer.

Valued guests are cordially invited to join.  Registration is quick & easy, & only needs an email address.  You can then benefit from contributing to our forum, & being able to use our PM system.

If you do not do so, but wish to make contact, you may email:-  theadminteam.foneforum@gmail.com
andy

« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2010, 03:47:02 PM »

I attempted to post a comment on their article:

Reading about the original device, it doesn't seem to have a socket to support using an external 3g/umts antenna, unlike certain other Huawei modems.

Does this adapted version offer that option, which would be highly useful with the modem/router partly shielded inside a car?

If not, why not?

mobaholic
Administrator

« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2010, 03:54:19 PM »

I attempted to post a comment on their article:

Reading about the original device, it doesn't seem to have a socket to support using an external 3g/umts antenna, unlike certain other Huawei modems.

Does this adapted version offer that option, which would be highly useful with the modem/router partly shielded inside a car?

If not, why not?

Good question, but I'm afraid I don't know.        Cry

I guess you could get an answer by visiting a '3' shop.        Wink

Valued guests are cordially invited to join.  Registration is quick & easy, & only needs an email address.  You can then benefit from contributing to our forum, & being able to use our PM system.

If you do not do so, but wish to make contact, you may email:-  theadminteam.foneforum@gmail.com
andy

« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2010, 04:08:14 PM »

I've posted similar comments on one or two other sites

I suspect the answer is no. One has a photo of the thing just resting on the dashboard, though they do suggest it is fixed there.

You'd have thought some of these journalists could think for themselves, rather than just happily soak up and rehash the press release.

I used an E160 a couple of weeks ago in someone's office, while the landline broadband was off for a couple of days. Connecting an aerial to it found 3's 3g coverage rather than just Orange 2g, and increased the speed by a factor of 20 to 50.

petkow

« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2010, 06:14:25 PM »

It's amazing what difference even a relatively low quality antenna can make. I really can't understand why the networks do not market these more, as surely people who have good stable fast connections will likely use more data, and in many cases, hopefully bring in more revenue. It's got so silly that with some modems, there are even antenna connectors on the main board but these have been covered over by the casing. Often just opening the device allows you to connect a standard antenna to it, but of course this invalidates the warranty.

One has a photo of the thing just resting on the dashboard, though they do suggest it is fixed there.
This is funny. I would have thought the best place for a mifi router in a car would be completely out of site... least of all in a position where it can distract the driver or obscure vision. After all, the device itself cannot be used for anything fun or 'visual' such as internet browsing or anything! If I had one, I would want it out of the way under the seat, or in the boot with an external antenna. Some occasional access to the status lights might be useful though!
petkow

« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2010, 06:43:56 PM »

This product along with an existing USB 3G Modem makes an interesting and relatively low cost alternative:
http://www.edimax.co.uk/en/produce_detail.php?pd_id=299&pl1_id=3&pl2_id=78

I have PM'd you with some other suggestions.
HiPD

« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2010, 07:23:19 AM »

I have PM'd you with some other suggestions.

This looks very much like a clique between two old telecomforum senior menbers! Huh

Why can't the additional information be shared with us all petkow?  Undecided

A message from the dark side you have Wink
petkow

« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2010, 09:30:24 AM »

This looks very much like a clique between two old telecomforum senior menbers! Huh

Why can't the additional information be shared with us all petkow?  Undecided
Huh  Huh
Maybe because it was intended as a personal message, and not a public message which would be of no interest to anybody else! I shouldn't have stated that I had sent one here. I only did so as he had missed one from me once a long time ago.

Not that I feel obliged to justify my decisions to you or anybody else, but as I am still new here, and as some users (or their aliases) still seem to carry some grudges (for whatever reason), I will do so this time in order to cut any antagonistic feelings and satisfy your curiosity. ... As curiosity, you know, is a dangerous thing!  Wink

So if you really must know, it's because the content was better in a PM, as it would be quite pointless here. That was my judgement, which I believe was a good one! All I did in the PM was to suggest that in order to get an answer to his question (which nobody here seems to be able to do) he could email somebody that he and I know from elsewhere. The person has a higher-than-average knowledge in this particular area of 3G Modems and their specs. It would be absolutely pointless announcing that here, as that person would unlikely reply to a person from here who he does not know.

Believe me, as you probably can tell from the content of my posts, if I have something to tell publicly, I will always do so. I have no secrets to hide. Also, if you really must know, the PM I sent Andy was perhaps the first private correspondence (PM/email etc.) that we have exchanged in the last 12 months! I very rarely have the specific need to send PM's, as I feel I can always target more readers with a post.. (even if it is personalised one like this one). However, I will always reply to any PM that is sent to me. Also if you really must know, I would hazard a guess to say that 90% of PM's that I have ever received on any forum that I participate in, have come from Mobaholic here.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2010, 09:47:19 AM by mobaholic » Logged
mobaholic
Administrator

« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2010, 09:44:58 AM »

........ Also if you really must know, I would hazard a guess to say that 90% of PM's that I have ever received on any forum that I participate in, have come from Mobaholic here.

LOl !  Sorry if I have overloaded you petkow !        Grin

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: