Fone Forum
April 20, 2024, 06:22:00 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Fone Forum is pleased to welcome its valued guests and members.  We hope you will all enjoy your time with us, and find us a happy community of shared interests - who pool our knowledge, so that we can all come away better informed.  Wink  Cheesy  Grin

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Unlimited International Calls from O2  (Read 107366 times)
Mikael
Administrator

« Reply #15 on: April 14, 2010, 11:36:44 AM »

That is true. However 818 numbers have lower revenue rates and therefore fewer destinations. You are quite right though. If 0700 did not work, then 0818 would be the next best test.

Valued guests are cordially invited to join.  Registration is quick & easy, & only needs an email address.  You can then benefit from contributing to our forum, & being able to use our PM system.

If you do not do so, but wish to make contact, you may email:-  theadminteam.foneforum@gmail.com
petkow

« Reply #16 on: April 14, 2010, 01:32:22 PM »

I think that exploiting this for calling one of Mikael's services would not work in the long run. After all, look at the title of the service.

In several places it is made quite clear that this is intended for 'Personal' use only. I noticed that when you sign up, you even have to specify the name of the friend or family that you want to call and map your 0203 number to. (I know because I have done so) So if several hundred users map to the same 'friend' who has the same Irish number but several names, this starts to look suspect. Anyhow, I actually think that they are cleverer than that. Apart from the standard term in their T's and C's that bans calls to numbers for onward routing, note the interesting unique term that I have underlined below, that I have not seen in these sort of T's and C's before. It is a ban of calls to standard office switchboards!! These are normally always standard geographic numbers. However they are obviously targeting anything where one number can have multiple incoming lines. If I were designing the system, I  would implement a simple check that allows only one call at a time to a given number. This is from all users across the board. After all, if the system is being used as inteded, one individual cannot really be fielding calls simultaneously from multiple callers. 

The following call types and number ranges are excluded from being part of the Calls: texts, picture messages, calls made whilst abroad, calls to premium rate or non-geographic numbers, calls to business switchboards, conference calls, calls to numbers for onward routing or revenue sharing purposes, calls to Inmarsat, calls using or to satellite phones (i.e. Thuraya), mobile traffic calls, machine to machine calls or and calls to countries not included in the Bolt On. 

Also note:
Outgoing Calls must be for your private, personal and non-business purposes, if we reasonably believe that you are abusing this service then we reserve the right to disconnect you from the Bolt On

To be honest, though I see the lure, I can't see why we just can't use this service as it is intended to be used? After all, this is a type of prepaid bolt-on, and users may buy into the scheme to call the Irish callthrough (which it may well do for a few days) only to see that after a few days the number has been blocked and no longer working! I can really foresee something simple like that happening. And then we just have lot's of 5 pounds wasted!     edit: well... not really as you could change the number... see post below!

Why not just map the international number that you call most frequently directly in the first place? I know Mikaels system will be able to give you more flexibility if you cannot make your mind up on which number you want to select for your 5 quid, but bear in mind that this can get easily blocked at the slightest hint of abuse!
« Last Edit: April 14, 2010, 02:21:49 PM by petkow » Logged
mobaholic
Administrator

« Reply #17 on: April 14, 2010, 01:41:49 PM »

I agree with your reservations about how long a callthough number might work before it is blocked, but with respect you are talking nonsense about loosing your £5 fee.        Roll Eyes

How can I change my numbers?
To change the numbers of the people you wish to phone abroad, just go to manage my numbers at the top of this page.

You can only change these numbers twice per month. And you can’t change your Call Me number incoming international phone number during the BETA period.        Wink

HTH.

Valued guests are cordially invited to join.  Registration is quick & easy, & only needs an email address.  You can then benefit from contributing to our forum, & being able to use our PM system.

If you do not do so, but wish to make contact, you may email:-  theadminteam.foneforum@gmail.com
petkow

« Reply #18 on: April 14, 2010, 02:18:31 PM »

Ah yes...I remember seeing that yesterday. I must have misread it a bit, thinking there was a set frequency of how often you could change it.

Well spotted, and thanks!
mobaholic
Administrator

« Reply #19 on: April 14, 2010, 02:25:01 PM »

Ah yes...I remember seeing that yesterday. I must have misread it a bit, thinking there was a set frequency of how often you could change it.

Well spotted, and thanks!

Well there is actually, but 2 changes per month means, by my calculation, that one can actually try 3 in a month: the one with which you start, and 2 further changes.        Wink

So I reckon one could risk trying one callthrough to begin with, and then move to 2 others after that, one by one, if each gets blocked in turn.        Wink

andy

« Reply #20 on: April 14, 2010, 02:52:15 PM »

That stuff about switchboards may imply either that it won't connect to something with a PBX or IVR arrangement on it, or that it won't support DTMF, or both.

I don't know the technical details, but there are certainly some services which will not connect to such things and just get an engaged tone, for example to a call queue at a credit card centre.
mobaholic
Administrator

« Reply #21 on: April 14, 2010, 02:55:21 PM »

That stuff about switchboards may imply either that it won't connect to something with a PBX or IVR arrangement on it, or that it won't support DTMF, or both.

I don't know the technical details, but there are certainly some services which will not connect to such things and just get an engaged tone, for example to a call queue at a credit card centre.

Good point andy.        Smiley

So do you think it may connect to a calltrhough number, or will that fail or be blocked ?  What is your opinion ?        Undecided

moonandstar

« Reply #22 on: April 14, 2010, 03:07:16 PM »

This certainly sounds like a good deal if you call a certain number quite a bit every month.

Just a couple of quick questions for anyone who has taken up the offer:

1) If you ring the 0203 number assigned to you from another phone or mobile what happens?

2) When you ring the 0203 number are the minutes deducted from your inclusive allowance or are calls to this number billed separately? So for example if you have a contract with 300 inclusive minutes but you call the assigned 0203 number for 400 minutes what happens?

I await your replies.
Thanks.

moonandstar.
Mikael
Administrator

« Reply #23 on: April 14, 2010, 03:16:17 PM »

Don't forget, if this worked we could run it such that every user would be able to get a different call-through number, that only they could use. It could therefore be more tricky to discover and block.

petkow

« Reply #24 on: April 14, 2010, 03:23:24 PM »

@mikael:
Yes, you have a point. That would perhaps be the best way of setting this up. I think Andy's points are relevant though. Blocking DTMF signals is the best way for o2 to avoid misuse. That is indeed the simplest way of making sure that these calls only end up end-users personal phones and nothing else. If DTMF is indeed disabled, then your system will not be able to determine where the call should end up. However, I understand that outright blocking of these is not really feasible, as after all they are just analogue sounds that could be within the voice range.

@moonandstar:

The way I see it, the calls to the 0203 will not be charged in anyway by o2. They will not come out of any inclusive minutes nor will they charged as standard calls from a PAYG account.

The 0203 is effectively working as a gateway into the VoIP system which is carrying your call to the chosen international number. If you call the 0203 number from another phone other than the nominated o2 mobile, I presume it will not detect who you are, and so the onward call will not be carried. I presume you will get a recorded error message.
petkow

« Reply #25 on: April 14, 2010, 03:30:21 PM »

Just one more thing. I suppose all of the general points raised can be figured out with a few simple tests once you have set this up. (e.g. DTMF transmission, Charges to the 0203, use from other phones etc.) I would also like to see if calls to the 0203 would work from a spoof of your mobiles CLI's (such as via a VoIP carrier like one of the Betamax brands)

Has anyone signed up to this yet? I did, got to the last screen, got my 0203 assigned, made my selection of the Phone in the other country, but then pulled out on the last screen! (At least I think I did). I am so tied up this month, that I will be no where near even making 200mins of calls let alone 5000! So I cannot quite justifty the 5 quid yet as I'm such a tight bas***rd!  Grin
andy

« Reply #26 on: April 14, 2010, 03:35:39 PM »

The 0203 is effectively working as a gateway into the VoIP system which is carrying your call to the chosen international number. If you call the 0203 number from another phone other than the nominated o2 mobile, I presume it will not detect who you are, and so the onward call will not be carried. I presume you will get a recorded error message.

I'd agree with that, as I'd imagine that the access numbers would be common across a range of users, then the caller ID defines the account, like other services
andy

« Reply #27 on: April 14, 2010, 03:48:44 PM »

So do you think it may connect to a calltrhough number, or will that fail or be blocked ?  What is your opinion ?        Undecided

I don't know, and I don't foresee placing any bets myself on this aspect, with other services available
wali

« Reply #28 on: April 15, 2010, 09:38:42 AM »

Hello everone,
I have used this service on a O2 pay as you go with unlimited landline bolt on.When u call 0203 number that minutes will not deducted from your inclusive land line minutes.But they do charge that call separetly.Can any one tell me what about the pay monthly sims?
if i sign up for a new contract sim with unlimited landline minutes will it be the same??
Thanks,
andy

« Reply #29 on: April 15, 2010, 09:59:24 AM »

Hello everone,
I have used this service on a O2 pay as you go with unlimited landline bolt on.When u call 0203 number that minutes will not deducted from your inclusive land line minutes.But they do charge that call separetly.

I don't think I've quite understood

You mean this use is actually charged for, like the payg balance falls, or comes from its own bundle independent of the landline bolt-on?
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: