Fone Forum
April 28, 2024, 12:23:00 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Fone Forum is pleased to welcome its valued guests and members.  We hope you will all enjoy your time with us, and find us a happy community of shared interests - who pool our knowledge, so that we can all come away better informed.  Wink  Cheesy  Grin

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Canny Yorkshire folk  (Read 17981 times)
mobaholic
Administrator

« Reply #15 on: May 31, 2010, 01:51:58 PM »

I am sorry petkow, but I think you are the one nitpicking.

Those from abroad are very welcome here, but just as I wouldn't think of employing a UK convention if posting in Europe, anyone as intelligent as delaro shouldn't have used an European convention here.  I genuinely didn't understand how he had apparently 'lost his marbles' on this issue.  His 8,0352142858 figure looked like zillions and zillions to me, and I was obviously not alone.

I understand very well that you may only be expressing sympathy for your fellow Pole here, but just as we have to welcome our fellow EEC members into our country, so they should reciprocate by being sensitive - by not hoisting foreign conventions on us.

I really appreciate delaro's other contributions here, and fully support his role on the forum.  But I have to be honest in saying I wish commas hadn't been introduced into numbers posted on a UK forum, however a minor issue that may be to you.

With regards to the language to which you objected, I have had cause to message HiPD about his forthright comments before, and may well send him a further missive.

« Last Edit: May 31, 2010, 02:23:49 PM by mobaholic » Logged

Valued guests are cordially invited to join.  Registration is quick & easy, & only needs an email address.  You can then benefit from contributing to our forum, & being able to use our PM system.

If you do not do so, but wish to make contact, you may email:-  theadminteam.foneforum@gmail.com
HiPD

« Reply #16 on: May 31, 2010, 07:06:07 PM »

The language that petkow complained about was my own, not mh's, so please don't use my words to attack him.  I was glad that he agreed with me, and found the figure presentation as confusing as I did, but I think, with hindsight, that 'stupid' was a bit OTT, but it surely looks that way when you first encounter it, and neither delaro nor petkow have given a single reason for using it.

delaro I apologise if my words offended you, but you introduced an unhelpful confusing foreign convention, without explanation, and apparently with no regrets for having done so.  If I can apologise to you for my somewhat intemperate language, perhaps you could apologise too for the unnecessary note of conflict that your strange looking post gave rise to?

A message from the dark side you have Wink
petkow

« Reply #17 on: June 02, 2010, 11:01:50 AM »

The language that petkow complained about was my own, not mh's, so please don't use my words to attack him.  I was glad that he agreed with me, ...
Roll Eyes

I am sorry petkow,...
Apology accepted! Wink

So let's just move on as it's not a major issue. That's really all I was trying to say! It was made an issue for some bizarre reason before I even said anything.

By the way, though it is completely irrelevant, I'm not from Poland. The whole intention of bringing this to light was not to express sympathy. It was just to highlight that we can all show a bit more tolerance at times. Calling some other system as being stupid is not tolerant; a fact that I note you also agree with. I won't say any more on this matter in this thread.
mobaholic
Administrator

« Reply #18 on: June 02, 2010, 01:21:38 PM »

........ So let's just move on as it's not a major issue.

Excellent idea: that has got my vote too !        Smiley

By the way, though it is completely irrelevant, I'm not from Poland.

That needs both an apology, and an explanation.  It was my genuine mistake.  I looked up the origins of your ( apparent ) surname - as given in your email address - because I was surprised by it.  Yahoo answers gave me the answer Polish.       Shocked

I will send you the URL by PM, in case you are interested yourself, or can throw some light on how yahoo answers were so apparently mistaken.        Wink

Sorry for the wrong deduction.         Cry

Valued guests are cordially invited to join.  Registration is quick & easy, & only needs an email address.  You can then benefit from contributing to our forum, & being able to use our PM system.

If you do not do so, but wish to make contact, you may email:-  theadminteam.foneforum@gmail.com
petkow

« Reply #19 on: June 02, 2010, 03:38:35 PM »

That needs both an apology, and an explanation.  It was my genuine mistake.  I looked up the origins of your ( apparent ) surname - as given in your email address - because I was surprised by it.  Yahoo answers gave me the answer Polish.       Shocked
There's no need to apologise at all. The days of guessing a persons origin from a name have passed.

It's like Cruz, D'Silva, D'Souza are all fairly common surnames from western coastal areas of India. Then there's also this chap called Obama who is from the USA I believe....  Wink
delaro
Global Moderator

« Reply #20 on: June 08, 2010, 06:49:33 PM »

The language that petkow complained about was my own, not mh's, so please don't use my words to attack him.  I was glad that he agreed with me, and found the figure presentation as confusing as I did, but I think, with hindsight, that 'stupid' was a bit OTT, but it surely looks that way when you first encounter it, and neither delaro nor petkow have given a single reason for using it.

delaro I apologise if my words offended you, but you introduced an unhelpful confusing foreign convention, without explanation, and apparently with no regrets for having done so.  If I can apologise to you for my somewhat intemperate language, perhaps you could apologise too for the unnecessary note of conflict that your strange looking post gave rise to?

HiPD - Perhaps offended but definitely disappointed. I would not expect similar immature kindergarden vocabulary from any member and especially not from one of your caliber. I don't believe you balanced your words and furthermore IMVHO you do not regret them thus your apology does not represent great value to myself. Regardless of that I shall accept it to avoid the escalation of this 'comma conflict' even if you think that what I've just done is so vulgar or undiplomatic or so not British or as you would say "stupid".

mh - Most of us know you usually leave very little (or don't leave at all) margin of error which I can't blame you for. Would you please note I take the responsibility for the comma confusion. Would you please note the error you are referring to (which appears to be an error in English speaking countries only) was not intentional and figure (obviously) was posted in good will. Hoisting foreign conventions in this case would be highly debatable in my eyes. Would you please note I perceive the foneforum as Lingua franca forum where members (regardless different backgrounds) sharing their opinions will make mistakes whether you like it or not. I hope all the errors will be as little as the dot representing decimal separator.

My impression was (until now) that sharing would be the most important.

dlR

mobaholic
Administrator

« Reply #21 on: June 08, 2010, 07:36:11 PM »

delaro my previous posts show that I agree that HiPD's language was intemperate at best.

For myself, I want only to apologize publicly for any unbalanced comments I made earlier in the thread.

Both petkow and I agreed that it was best to drop the issue and to move on.  I do hope you will kindly do so also.

TIA.

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: