Fone Forum
April 28, 2024, 01:06:12 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Fone Forum is pleased to welcome its valued guests and members.  We hope you will all enjoy your time with us, and find us a happy community of shared interests - who pool our knowledge, so that we can all come away better informed.  Wink  Cheesy  Grin

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Skype To Offer Cheap(er) VOIP Calls  (Read 5949 times)
mobaholic
Administrator

« on: May 10, 2010, 09:49:15 AM »

Skype To Offer Cheap(er) VOIP Calls

Skype has announced that it will be offering cheaper calls to more than 170 countries starting from today in a bid to establish itself as one of the leading global telecommunication companies.

The VOIP company will offer pricing plans with unlimited calls for as little as 69p per month to some countries and says that prices may fall down by as little as 60 percent compared to the current one.

Unlimited Skype calls to landline in the UK is charged at £3.39 per month with the unlimited world package which covers more than 40 countries costing a rather steep £8.

But Skype has had to face increasing competition the likes of ISP Talktalk who offers a similar package for as little as £1.95 for the first 12 months for a service, which unlike Skype, doesn't require a computer.

In a statement issued yesterday, Skype said that it would offer more choices for its customers, ranging from 1-month, 60 minute calling subscriptions to 12-months, unlimited packages.

Neil Stevens, General Manager of Skype's Consumer Business Unit, said that "Skype's new monthly subscriptions lower the cost of international calling and make it simple to choose the plan that best meets your needs.  People around the world can now have the simplicity and flexibility to call almost any phone in the world for less."

Source:-  ITProPortal

Valued guests are cordially invited to join.  Registration is quick & easy, & only needs an email address.  You can then benefit from contributing to our forum, & being able to use our PM system.

If you do not do so, but wish to make contact, you may email:-  theadminteam.foneforum@gmail.com
petkow

« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2010, 10:48:45 AM »

This is long overdue, but a bit too late in my opinion! Their rates and connection charges have been a bit of a joke for too long. They have always just relied on their good reputation and market share and I suppose they still offer a great peer-to-peer platform. However, unfortunately for them, the vast majority of their customers do not ever pay a single cent and many of their paying customers have already left. It's a bit too late to try and claw them back now!
« Last Edit: May 10, 2010, 10:52:58 AM by petkow » Logged
BJ

« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2010, 02:42:59 AM »

Some customers are not impressed by the extra costs for them due to changes. See comments at http://blogs.skype.com/en/
« Last Edit: May 11, 2010, 02:45:37 AM by BJ » Logged
petkow

« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2010, 10:33:29 AM »

Thanks BJ. To be honest I still can't see what has actually changed with their rates. I suppose it is not the PAYG rates that have changed, but their monthly plans. However, I can't really see big differences there either. Still seems to be pretty lousy value to me!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: