Fone Forum
March 28, 2024, 09:24:27 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Fone Forum is pleased to welcome its valued guests and members.  We hope you will all enjoy your time with us, and find us a happy community of shared interests - who pool our knowledge, so that we can all come away better informed.  Wink  Cheesy  Grin

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What's up with our UK broadband?  (Read 39058 times)
petkow

« on: June 02, 2010, 03:48:13 PM »

A friend of mine recently got back from Japan where he had been staying in a shared apartment which included broadband access as part of his rent. I have to say of all his pictures, this one really caught my attention:
ganjbakhash

« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2010, 05:16:38 PM »

Useful Site!

Wanna Change The World? Change Yourself!
NewStarter

« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2010, 06:21:22 PM »

A friend of mine recently got back from Japan where he had been staying in a shared apartment which included broadband access as part of his rent. I have to say of all his pictures, this one really caught my attention:

Amazing speed.. 10 more years Smiley
panda

« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2010, 08:55:47 PM »

NTT Communications Japan is providing 200Mbps connections

Excellent communication speed of 200Mbps Max for downstream.

http://506506.ntt.com/english/ocn/hikari/hikari_flets/
delaro
Global Moderator

« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2010, 11:55:05 PM »

IMHO Their PING is pretty amazing  Shocked

davegr
Administrator

« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2010, 12:21:56 AM »

You can get almost as low latency on an ADSL connection in the right circumstances. I've seen down to 5ms on ADSL2+. Most people get nowhere near that though due to providers insistence on using interleaved mode.

delaro
Global Moderator

« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2010, 01:17:23 AM »

You can get almost as low latency on an ADSL connection in the right circumstances. I've seen down to 5ms on ADSL2+. Most people get nowhere near that though due to providers insistence on using interleaved mode.

That's interesting. I'm on FAST mode, my PING is usually around 50-60. I got in touch with my ISP (the one with bright future) to ask them to change to interleaved just to check if it improves the quality (not PING) of my line and was told they could NOT do it for me. Mind you - it took me almost 20 minutes to explain what I was after. I had to spell them 'interleaved', 'SNR' and so on. They had not a clue I was talking about. I heard them typing and probably googling and then was told to wait on hold until 'they speak to the supervisor about it'!! I even requested MAC code but still no luck. I dropped the whole idea eventually. I do appreciate my time after all... They don't

Sorry guys. I may be wrong saying that but I think this country suffers a LOT of inconvienence thanks to setting up call centres abroad (mainly in Asia I presume). That's one step too far...

I'm wondering if some other countries got to the same idea. For example Spain and call centres in Chile or Venezuela or Portugal and centres in Congo or Brazil...
« Last Edit: November 03, 2010, 01:28:17 AM by delaro » Logged

petkow

« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2010, 10:01:56 AM »

For 20Mb ADSL that costs close to 40 Euros a month here in Spain, I too am constantly disappointed. I usually get around 10Mb/s upstream, 1Mb/s down and a Ping of 60Ms. (Jitter is 27Ms). 

With regards to call centres, here in Spain, we have a few call centres in South America, but increasingly they are in Spain with South American immigrant employees. Generally, the level of outsourcing is still not as high as in the UK, probably due to slightly lower labour costs here, and the smaller cost savings to be gained due to salaries in many South American countries being considerably higher than an English speaking country like India.

There are also quite a few multilingual call-centres in Romania catering to Italian, Spanish, German, French and English customers. As Romanian is a Latin based language, those guys manage to pick up the southern European languages fluently pretty quickly. They also have a general aptitude for other languages (a bit like you Poles). Also, there is no shortage of Spanish speaking Romanians going back to Romania these days, due to a shortage of jobs here.
Tadam

Join consoleforumchat.freefo.us

« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2012, 04:55:11 PM »

EmbarrassedI also have seen how bad the conncetion is in UK!! Very low and slow!!

Look at my profile and join the link!! Smiley

Giff gaff, what a network!! Cheesy
shani22

« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2012, 05:00:17 PM »

awesome speed........ i think we people have to wait for this atleast 10 years in uk...
Tadam

Join consoleforumchat.freefo.us

« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2012, 06:45:00 PM »

What internet provider would you say has the fastest performance???

Look at my profile and join the link!! Smiley

Giff gaff, what a network!! Cheesy
mp001

« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2013, 03:26:35 PM »

That is quick
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: