Fone Forum
March 29, 2024, 06:46:08 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Fone Forum is pleased to welcome its valued guests and members.  We hope you will all enjoy your time with us, and find us a happy community of shared interests - who pool our knowledge, so that we can all come away better informed.  Wink  Cheesy  Grin

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Forum reorganization  (Read 18534 times)
mobaholic
Administrator

« on: June 21, 2010, 10:30:14 AM »

Our forum software was upgraded last night - unexpectedly! - and we are now using the latest edition SMF1.1.11.        Smiley

There has been some lengthy discussion on the Senior Members' Board about our forum structure, and how it should be amended to make things clearer for both guests and members.  The first stage of this has now been implemented, and I have taken up petkow's suggestion to use new 'categories' ( SMF speak ) as section headers.        Wink

I have also taken the opportunity to make all daughter boards into full ones.  This means that members will be able to see when new posts have been made on any board, and will be less in danger of missing important news.        Wink

Other suggestions have also been made of simplifying our boards, and possibly merging some of the existing ones.  This is a much lengthier task, which will require more thought and time.        Wink

Any constructive criticism of these changes, or positive suggestion for further improvements, can be sent to me via PM please.

Thanks.       Smiley

« Last Edit: June 21, 2010, 10:33:34 AM by mobaholic » Logged

Valued guests are cordially invited to join.  Registration is quick & easy, & only needs an email address.  You can then benefit from contributing to our forum, & being able to use our PM system.

If you do not do so, but wish to make contact, you may email:-  theadminteam.foneforum@gmail.com
moonandstar

« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2010, 10:47:57 AM »

The changes look good and the forum looks well organised.

Good work mh and team because I am well aware it is a difficult job you have on this forum, especially when it comes to making changes.

moonandstar.  
petkow

« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2010, 10:49:53 AM »

It's a decent start at least!  Smiley Thanks!

I still think there are few too many categories, and I would probably suggest merging a few. I'll think about it a bit more first, and let others suggest too!

The one in particular that confuses me is:
Suggestions / requests for Pre-Dial:
 - Suggestions for pre-dial  
 - Requests for pre-dial's consideration

I know you have explained this to me before, and the reason for the distinction and why there are two boards. However, it just looks a bit too much to me. I cannot really understand why this is not all put together in a single board called "Suggestions/Requests" which is placed under "Miscellaneous" (for example). The lack of topics in Requests just reflects this.
mobaholic
Administrator

« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2010, 11:04:37 AM »

The one in particular that confuses me is:
Suggestions / requests for Pre-Dial:
 - Suggestions for pre-dial  
 - Requests for pre-dial's consideration

I have merged those 2 boards for you petkow, so we needn't have a 'round three' on that one !        Grin

As for your further thought - sure, we both need to do that !        Wink

Valued guests are cordially invited to join.  Registration is quick & easy, & only needs an email address.  You can then benefit from contributing to our forum, & being able to use our PM system.

If you do not do so, but wish to make contact, you may email:-  theadminteam.foneforum@gmail.com
petkow

« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2010, 11:16:03 AM »

I have merged those 2 boards for you petkow, so we needn't have a 'round three' on that one !        Grin
Thanks...

{This is where I now need an embarrassed smiley}

Edit:-    Lips sealed

13th one from left to right !        Wink

mh.

« Last Edit: June 21, 2010, 11:23:35 AM by TheAdminTeam » Logged
mobaholic
Administrator

« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2010, 11:36:27 AM »

It's a decent start at least!  Smiley Thanks!

I still think there are few too many categories, and I would probably suggest merging a few.

I have just deleted one category, which brings us down to 10.        Wink

HTH.

andy

« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2010, 02:40:03 PM »

more experimentation with colours needed before reaching a decision
mobaholic
Administrator

« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2010, 02:45:07 PM »

Experimentation in progress andy !        Wink

Goodman

I hope I didn't brain my damage

« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2010, 02:47:01 PM »

Forum looks really good aprt from the colour combination.  too dark. looks more like darkman website Smiley Grin

everything that can go wrong will go wrong
andy

« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2010, 02:57:58 PM »

I'm leaving a window open in each version

this is a lot better, though the bar across aboe the post could be a bit lighter, or swap the text colour from dark to light
andy

« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2010, 02:58:49 PM »

I spoke too late, and it's back to default
mobaholic
Administrator

« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2010, 03:04:38 PM »

I spoke too late, and it's back to default

Unfortunately I didn't see which one you liked !        Cry

However, just to clarify, we don't have to facility to change a theme - just to import them, and try them out.        Wink

I actually made a huge mistake - setting a theme which wiped out access to all of the options at the top of the screen.  I couldn't find a way to get into admin to reset it !        Lips sealed

Fortunately a few Alt + left arrows took me back to where I could get in again.        Cheesy

I have now deleted the offending theme post haste.        Wink

srikanth.nuli

« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2010, 03:06:01 PM »

The new look doesn't helps me to identify where to post on this thread but it suddenly changed to the old format and I can click the reply button now.

The colour combination used for the forum doesn't looks pleasing at all. Light colours would suit better rather than dark ones  Smiley

--- Srikanth.
mobaholic
Administrator

« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2010, 03:10:41 PM »

The new look doesn't helps me to identify where to post on this thread but it suddenly changed to the old format and I can click the reply button now.

The colour combination used for the forum doesn't looks pleasing at all. Light colours would suit better rather than dark ones  Smiley

--- Srikanth.

I repeat my comments above: I am not up to modifying a theme at present: my experimentation is limited to trying out various options to see what they are like.        Wink

ganjbakhash

« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2010, 10:08:09 PM »

Good news and nice suggestion to read! Cheers  Wink

Wanna Change The World? Change Yourself!
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: