Fone Forum
March 28, 2024, 03:34:18 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Fone Forum is pleased to welcome its valued guests and members.  We hope you will all enjoy your time with us, and find us a happy community of shared interests - who pool our knowledge, so that we can all come away better informed.  Wink  Cheesy  Grin

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Every member's own choice.  (Read 39618 times)
mobaholic
Administrator

« on: June 22, 2010, 10:37:21 AM »

I enjoyed myself enormously yesterday, trying out our updated software, and finding new facilities enabled.        Grin

There was a short period of experimentation, about which you can read in this thread.        Wink

The diverse reactions encountered then showed me one thing clearly: "you can't please all of the people all of the time!"        Cry

However, I have sought to disprove that old adage, and have come up with an idea that will enable every member to make their own choice of a colour scheme ( 'theme' in SMF speak ) to their own liking.        Shocked

I have enabled every member to view, and use, the forum, using the theme of their own choice ( when they are logged in. )       Wink

Nobody is forced to take part in this experiment, and those who couldn't care less about such things need do nothing.  The default theme ( called Core ) will continue to be used for all guests, and will remain as the default for every member who doesn't want to change it for themselves.        Smiley

However, for those who would like a change, or who are curious to see what is available, the procedure to adopt is as follows:-

1).  Go to your own PROFILE page by clicking on the 'PROFILE' label in our top menu bar;

2).  Look down the left hand side for 'Modify Profile';

3).  Click on 'Look and Layour Preferences'.

When you have done that, you will be able to do 3 things.

First, you can see all of the currently available themes ( a dozen at present ) by going to Current Theme, and clicking on ( change ).

Second, you can preview them all, one by one, by clicking on the 'preview >>'  link at the far right hand side.

And third, you may, if you wish, select your own theme, which will be presented to you as soon as you login to your account here, by clicking on 'use this theme'.         Wink

All of our themes have been tested, and seem to work correctly.  All choices can be undone, and members are free to change their 'Look and Layout Preferences' as often as they like.        Smiley

It will be interested to learn who likes what, and feedback is always welcome.        Wink

« Last Edit: June 22, 2010, 10:59:24 AM by mobaholic » Logged

Valued guests are cordially invited to join.  Registration is quick & easy, & only needs an email address.  You can then benefit from contributing to our forum, & being able to use our PM system.

If you do not do so, but wish to make contact, you may email:-  theadminteam.foneforum@gmail.com
Goodman

I hope I didn't brain my damage

« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2010, 11:10:57 AM »

MH That's a nice wee idea.I like that. I am came across something and I am not sure where to put it so thought probably here.

If you click on the following link you come across the email address and IM's of the members. I am not sure If thats a good idea. I will say its better to hide them  Roll Eyes

http://www.foneforum.co.uk/index.php?action=mlist

everything that can go wrong will go wrong
mobaholic
Administrator

« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2010, 11:23:17 AM »

MH That's a nice wee idea.I like that. I am came across something and I am not sure where to put it so thought probably here.

If you click on the following link you come across the email address and IM's of the members. I am not sure If thats a good idea. I will say its better to hide them  Roll Eyes

http://www.foneforum.co.uk/index.php?action=mlist

The information shown against every member is determined by their own choice when they registered here.        Wink

They can choose to hide their email address from other members, and only those who selected 'allow other members to email them' will have an envelope showing in the Email column.  Others will show nothing at all, and only admin have access to their email address.        Wink

If you, or anyone else, is unhappy with what information is shown about you in the Member list, you are free to change it via your settings in your Profile page, which you can modify at any time.        Smiley

« Last Edit: June 22, 2010, 01:29:22 PM by mobaholic » Logged

Valued guests are cordially invited to join.  Registration is quick & easy, & only needs an email address.  You can then benefit from contributing to our forum, & being able to use our PM system.

If you do not do so, but wish to make contact, you may email:-  theadminteam.foneforum@gmail.com
petkow

« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2010, 02:58:28 PM »

This is one example of where having polls enabled could be a really good idea!

Theme "Blue Smile" wins for me! Wink
mobaholic
Administrator

« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2010, 03:03:10 PM »

This is one example of where having polls enabled could be a really good idea!

Theme "Blue Smile" wins for me! Wink

Well there is an interesting 'spread' of choices so far, though with the vast majority not having made a choice so far !        Shocked

As for your beloved polls, I will try enabling them experimentally just for you !        Kiss

But it's up to you to set up your poll, and we will assess how it goes afterwards.        Wink

OK with you ?        Undecided

Update:-  Although I have enabled polls, and given permissions to every membergroup ( except guests ) to Vote in polls, Post polls, Add polls to topics, and Edit their own polls ( with additional permissions for Moderators ), this is simply not working at present - for reasons I can't fathom out right now.

I don't know if the settings changes will take some time to come into effect, but I can't fix it currently.  Sorry petkow.        Cry

« Last Edit: June 22, 2010, 03:37:59 PM by mobaholic » Logged

HiPD

« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2010, 04:52:17 PM »

Well there is an interesting 'spread' of choices so far, though with the vast majority not having made a choice so far !        Shocked

As for your beloved polls, I will try enabling them experimentally just for you !        Kiss

But it's up to you to set up your poll, and we will assess how it goes afterwards.        Wink

OK with you ?        Undecided

Update:- Although I have enabled polls, and given permissions to every membergroup ( except guests ) to Vote in polls, Post polls, Add polls to topics, and Edit their own polls ( with additional permissions for Moderators ), this is simply not working at present - for reasons I can't fathom out right now.

I don't know if the settings changes will take some time to come into effect, but I can't fix it currently. Sorry petkow.        Cry

My vote is for BlackRain V3.Smiley

mh polls ARE enabled on other board, it is just on this one that they won't work.  Wink

HTH.

A message from the dark side you have Wink
petkow

« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2010, 06:46:35 PM »

Actually... I have just changed my mind to "As Theme"! I love it! I like Black Rain too, but there are funny things going on with buttons, and smilies.
mike

« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2010, 07:08:54 PM »

Actually... I have just changed my mind to "As Theme"! I love it! I like Black Rain too, but there are funny things going on with buttons, and smilies.

I have just changed to the As theme after reading your post, but it is as bad as the one I was using before in not showing the new Users Logged in Today list!  Huh

It seems to me that some themes are too old to show the new feature, though BlackRain V.3 and the default one do, as well as others probably.  Wink

mobaholic
Administrator

« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2010, 07:25:54 PM »

Well congratulations to 2 of our members here for some sharp 'detective work' !       Smiley

HiPD is right in that the restrictions I had to place on this board are the reason why polls do not work here.
petkow needs to make a poll on another board if he wishes to pursue his interest in such.       Wink
( I shall remove this facility again if he has lost his interest. )

Secondly, HiPD has found out something of which I was not aware.  I shall test all our themes tomorrow, and those which fail to display our latest ( actually only ) 'Mod' will be deleted.

Well done guys !        Smiley

delaro
Global Moderator

« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2010, 07:53:21 PM »

Excelent idea. Well done. I've opted in for As theme. It's good to have a choice..

dlR

mobaholic
Administrator

« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2010, 09:55:04 AM »

Secondly, HiPD has found out something of which I was not aware.  I shall test all our themes tomorrow, and those which fail to display our latest ( actually only ) 'Mod' will be deleted.

Following the information that came to light last night, I have conducted more thorough tests of the themes we did have available, and I have had to remove 10 of them.  I am sorry for those who liked one of these themes, but they proved incompatible with the latest version of SMF software that we are now enjoying.  This came to light by their being unable to display the Users Logged In Today information, but my concern was not just with that, but with the fact that I couldn't be sure what else might not work for those employing them.  In consequence, Classic YaBB, Babylon, Supernatural, Green Blitz, Delta, Esen, Hepimici, PinskSt, As, and the Hobbit have all been deleted.        Cry

This leaves us with just 5 now available.  In addition to the default Core ( shown to guests, and to members who do not opt to change their theme ) we have bisdakworldgreen, Blue Smile, BlackRain v3, and Pblue.  My personal recommendation would be to use either bisdakworldgreen or Blue Smile, because of the efficient way in which they use the screen.  Both actually show slightly more than even the default Core.  I am using Blue Smile myself.        Wink

In due course I may find other themes which are fully compatible with our updated software, but this is not a huge priority.
( Many of the latest ones available can only be used with SMF 2.0 RC3, and cannot be used with SMF 1.1.11.  They remove all access to all of our top menu bar options, as I discovered to my embarrassment. )

« Last Edit: June 23, 2010, 09:58:46 AM by mobaholic » Logged

mike

« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2010, 11:03:37 AM »

Thanks for the new Hasam theme mh, it's great!    Grin

srikanth.nuli

« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2010, 01:23:32 PM »

Dear Mobaholic,

Is there anything wrong with themes applying on to our profiles? Yesterday I applied a theme and today it is showing the default old profile theme.

Regards,
Srikanth.
srikanth.nuli

« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2010, 01:26:56 PM »

I am sorry I haven't read your last post which provides the information. I am also playing with some settings on my preferences and layout section so it is showing the newest posts upwards now previously it use to be vice versa.
mobaholic
Administrator

« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2010, 01:30:15 PM »

I am sorry I haven't read your last post which provides the information. I am also playing with some settings on my preferences and layout section so it is showing the newest posts upwards now previously it use to be vice versa.

That's fine srikanth.nuli.  You are free to choose your own settings, and to change them when you want.        Smiley

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: