Fone Forum
March 28, 2024, 09:39:13 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Fone Forum is pleased to welcome its valued guests and members.  We hope you will all enjoy your time with us, and find us a happy community of shared interests - who pool our knowledge, so that we can all come away better informed.  Wink  Cheesy  Grin

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Saving money abroad by using a roaming SIM.  (Read 17255 times)
mobaholic
Administrator

« on: July 12, 2008, 09:32:22 AM »

Following discussions on another telecoms' forum, I cam across an interesting thread on the "Minimum Call Charges when Roaming".

Various problems are discussed ( e.g. Orange saying they have to charge for a minimum of a minute - because they are billed that way by foreign network - which statement was challenged by some users ), and then a recommendation was given.

Although I have never used the service, those interested might like to take a look at http://mobilephonesim.com/

They seem to have some attractive deals on offer - e.g. free incoming calls when roaming in 90 countries, and some good bargains too:-

OK how much for my International Sim card?

Best value! - £60.00 of airtime for £54.99 RRP £59.99

or £10.00 airtime for £14.99 RRP £19.99

or £35.00 airtime for £34.99 RRP £39.99

Click here to buy now saving £5.00 off all purchases made today

Click here to buy NOW!

If anyone has any experience of using this product, please report on how good you find it to be.

Valued guests are cordially invited to join.  Registration is quick & easy, & only needs an email address.  You can then benefit from contributing to our forum, & being able to use our PM system.

If you do not do so, but wish to make contact, you may email:-  theadminteam.foneforum@gmail.com
andy

« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2008, 12:12:49 PM »

It's an affiliate reseller, a few weeks old

I don't know enough about the underlying product, and their FAQs don't necessarily help, like for example what country it's  from and phone number it has.

I just phoned up to enquire a little more, and a recorded message apologises for not being there. If the call is about support, they're aware there is a network issue at the moment, and they're trying to resolve it.

« Last Edit: July 15, 2008, 12:17:07 PM by andy » Logged
mobaholic
Administrator

« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2008, 01:36:25 PM »

You may very well be right about its being a reseller operation andy: I have no information about that at all.        Undecided

I think it is 12 days since we have seen you here: have you been on holiday and did you have a good time ?

Welcome back anyway.        Smiley

Valued guests are cordially invited to join.  Registration is quick & easy, & only needs an email address.  You can then benefit from contributing to our forum, & being able to use our PM system.

If you do not do so, but wish to make contact, you may email:-  theadminteam.foneforum@gmail.com
andy

« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2008, 06:52:08 PM »

You might recognise a new username on here, from that other discussion

- this service's chief spammer has just joined here

annwhite
Learner

« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2008, 12:07:25 PM »

hi  thanks for information on   mobilephonesim.com   this will be very good as i am traveling around Europe soon.  it will be good not to pay for incoming calls while i am there.
andy

« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2008, 12:40:11 PM »

hi  thanks for information on   mobilephonesim.com   this will be very good as i am traveling around Europe soon.  it will be good not to pay for incoming calls while i am there.

no need to insult our intelligence!

- this service's chief spammer has just joined here

can this  be only a coincidence, found elsewhere:

Quote from: annwhite
I am an agent for an International SIM card company my web site is mobilephonesim I can get people to visit OK but they do not convert to as many sales as I would wish, have I made this page too busy

I wonder if it's time for this thread to go
« Last Edit: July 17, 2008, 02:21:05 PM by Mikael » Logged
arky
Learner

« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2008, 04:31:08 PM »

Hi I have used this service mobilephonesim it saved me £5 buying the card, went to Spain by car though France worked very well had loads of calls did't cost a penny, I don't phone people much so not having to pay when people phone me was great.
I did not have any problems
andy

« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2008, 07:29:23 PM »

Interesting you mentioned only incoming calls, as I understand there may be issues for outgoing calls in France for this range of SIMs, though I haven't tried myself.

There are plenty of other global SIMs with free roaming in several countries, so let's hope new members don't all flock here to post about only one. And some with lower tariffs in some places, despite ms white's rather misdirecting claims elsewhere

For someone making a short visit to Spain or the rest of Europe and only receiving calls, a free O2 SIM with the £5 or £10 a month add-ons Chosen Country - Spain or My Europe Extra might be cheaper
mobaholic
Administrator

« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2008, 10:52:47 AM »

I should like to make a few comments here to clarify how this discussion has developed.

andy is quite correct in saying that there are plenty of other roaming SIM's out there, and we should not limit our discussions to just one.
I can confirm that I came across the original discussion on another telecoms' group just by chance, and that I have no connections with the one mentioned whatsoever.
I also have no personal knowledge of spam on another group, and no desire to make any judgement about what happens elsewhere.

The background to my OP was that I was somewhat embarrassed by the lack of posts on the board.
I have asked Graham both to moderate here, and to write an introductory post on his subject.
For various reasons - which are not his fault - this has been considerably delayed, and his introduction is still awaited.
( I am very familiar with his strange work situation, and with the difficulties through which he has been going, as we both regularly exchange 6 or 7 voicemail messages to each other every day. )
I know that he has some extensive knowledge of roaming SIM's, and is well qualified to do this task, so I am content to wait, as patiently as I am able.

However, I was not happy that there was no discussion taking place at all on this board, and therefore seized to opportunity of making a post - in the hope of 'kick starting' some.

Finally, I should most certainly welcome the opportunity of widening out our field of discussion, and if andy would care to contribute with his extensive knowledge - concerning both roaming SIM's and callback options - I will welcome his contribution wholeheartedly.

« Last Edit: July 21, 2008, 02:25:34 PM by mobaholic » Logged

wanttoretire
Learner

« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2008, 03:17:23 PM »

I have been going to a few forums to find out about free roaming in Europe and this Andy keeps popping up knocking all others but pushing O2 I wonder what his motive is? what we would like is more advice on free roaming and cheaper calls in Europe
mobaholic
Administrator

« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2008, 03:46:20 PM »

I have been going to a few forums to find out about free roaming in Europe and this Andy keeps popping up knocking all others but pushing O2 I wonder what his motive is? what we would like is more advice on free roaming and cheaper calls in Europe

If you want a reply from andy about his associations, if any, with O2, I suggest you show a little patience.

His usual pattern is to look in here every few days, so I cannot tell you when he will next be here.        Wink

Your post here basically repeats your earlier one on another thread, and does not contribute any value to the forum.

Please do not repeat yourself again, as neither guests, nor members, want to view something that looks a bit 'stuck in one groove'.

Thanks you.

andy

« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2008, 11:28:01 PM »

There are plenty of people in the world with this name, and if you've found some of them on other forums commenting on this, then they are probably not me.

I've just checked on uk.telecom newsgroups, and my last 4 posts were about Pipex customer services in the Philipines, texts to Twitter being an Isle of Man number, advice about a certain US VoIP provider's differing rates to UK mobiles and a hint of an offer to post a T-mobile SIM with a better prefix, and errrm, O2 and their web text service. Frankly, given that this is my sole output on there for a span of 2 months, I'd be amazed if you'd noticed

As for a certain other forum which some people on here are familiar with, my 19 posts in the last 2 months don't even mention O2 roaming, and only two have anything about them at all, namely a mobile prefix which used to be in their inclusive minutes about a year ago, and that they have one of about a dozen guard band (low-power) GSM licences.

I did mention this O2 option on another forum in 2 of my 125 posts there this year, but they were 2 and 5 months ago.

And only 2 of my previous posts on here mention O2; I think we can blame you for this one.

Your accusation is ludicrous unsupportable and false. I do happen to have an O2 contract, and have in fact just renewed it, but that is my only connection with them.

The main UK networks' roaming rates are not all exactly aligned with the Eurotariff started about a year ago. 3 has cheaper incoming (10p/min) and outgoing (25p/min) calls on most netorks, but on other 3 networks (Like Home) you get your home rate or inclusive minutes. Vodafone's Passport is an option (free), and I think needs to be asked for in preference to the Eurotariff. And, errm, another network's options.

There are plenty of global SIMs with free incoming calls. There are 4 (and their resellers, such as this one) based on the Isle of Man, though 3 of those look fairly similar, a couple with Jersey numbers, and some with Estonia, Iceland, Liechtenstein numbers. Then there are some other SIMs with a choice of landline DID forwarded to them, which don't have free incoming, but are useful for the chance of cheaper calls to people calling you. But I don't suppose I can name them without some ignorant troll saying I'm selling one
« Last Edit: July 23, 2008, 12:09:56 AM by andy » Logged
mobaholic
Administrator

« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2008, 11:01:17 AM »

Good morning wanttoretire and andy.        Smiley

I resisted the temptation to post about andy's alleged connections with O2 yesterday, as I realised that he was well able to answer for himself, which he has now done.        Wink

I have interacted with andy for a long time now, and my own guess would be that he favours O2 because it has allowed him to call various number ranges which are useful to him for using his roaming SIM's, and for using callback services from abroad.  O2 currently have a 'special promotion' running up to the 30th September which allows several number prefixes to be called inclusively, and I am told that details of these may be see on its website.  Under "Inclusive Minutes and Call Charges" you will see the following statement:

3.   As a promotional offer, calls made to "special" 07 numbers (other than 07744, 07755 and 070) will be included in your inclusive minutes allowance until 30th September 2008.  If you use these numbers you will be reminded that the promotional period is coming to an end before charges commence.

andy is free to correct me if I am wrong  about his reason for having an O2 contract.

The main UK networks' roaming rates are not all exactly aligned with the Eurotariff started about a year ago. 3 has cheaper incoming (10p/min) and outgoing (25p/min) calls on most networks, but on other 3 networks (Like Home) you get your home rate or inclusive minutes. Vodafone's Passport is an option (free), and I think needs to be asked for in preference to the Eurotariff. And, errm, another network's options.

I know about the '3' roaming charges andy, but am unsure about to which other network options you were referring ?

There are plenty of global SIMs with free incoming calls. There are 4 (and their resellers, such as this one) based on the Isle of Man, though 3 of those look fairly similar, a couple with Jersey numbers, and some with Estonia, Iceland, Liechtenstein numbers. Then there are some other SIMs with a choice of landline DID forwarded to them, which don't have free incoming, but are useful for the chance of cheaper calls to people calling you. But I don't suppose I can name them without some ignorant troll saying I'm selling one

I can well understand how this defensive attitude has sprung up - in view of niftylists / telecomforum's past habit of springing on anything that someone deemed to be 'spam'.  However, this would be a good opportunity for me to make our own position quite clear.

I have spelled out the forum rules here in this introduction.  Mikael has very kindly allowed us the freedom, both to discuss ANY telephone service, and even to compare them with his own.  Contrary to Oron's expectations, I have not had the need to delete posts about competitors' products, new services discovered by members, or indeed any other constructive subject.        Grin

Just as I never thought that andy was an employee of O2, neither will I allow him to be falsely accused of selling roaming SIM's - just because he kindly shares his knowledge of them with us.   Shocked
Indeed I will go further - and request that he now does so.   Shocked 
I have often been frustrated by his opaque references and hints elsewhere, and can see little value in being restricted to such contributions lacking both substance and detail.        Huh
So andy, please will you kindly post about what SIM's you do use and recommend, as I suspect that there are several members here who will benefit from your detailed knowledge in this field.

Thank you.        Smiley

« Last Edit: July 23, 2008, 02:47:07 PM by mobaholic » Logged

wanttoretire
Learner

« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2008, 02:16:13 PM »

Thanks for your article I have purchased and used while travelling though Europe this card on the site www.mobilephonesim.com worked well the Free incoming calls were welcome, Countries I drove though were France,Germany and Italy wonderful month away
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: