Fone Forum
April 25, 2024, 01:37:34 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Fone Forum is pleased to welcome its valued guests and members.  We hope you will all enjoy your time with us, and find us a happy community of shared interests - who pool our knowledge, so that we can all come away better informed.  Wink  Cheesy  Grin

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Poor Mobile Ads.  (Read 6046 times)
BJ

« on: July 02, 2010, 09:59:13 AM »

The head of mobile network Three has criticised the way in which phone tariffs are advertised.

Kevin Russell's comments follow a ruling from the Advertising Standards Authority (ASA) against rival network Orange.

Orange had claimed in a press advert that its 3G network "covers more people in the UK than any other operator".

"As an industry our marketing standards are poor and it has led to cynicism," he said.

Orange's claim was challenged by Hutchison 3G which runs the combined Three/T-mobile network.

ASA ruled in favour of Hutchison and said the advert was misleading because it was not clear whether the claim referred to coverage in terms of population numbers or geographical area, in which Hutchison 3G is larger.

Continue reading the main story
One of the dumbest things I've done is talk about 'unlimited' data when it's not
Kevin Russell

Chief Executive, Three
 Analyst Ian Fogg at Forrester Research said the ruling was likely to be the first of many.

"There will be a debate about this," he told BBC News.

"It's much harder to measure or communicate how good an operator's 3G network is than it would be for home broadband.

"Network coverage can vary based on signal strength and whether it works indoors, but performance works on the number of people using a network as well."

That is more likely to be "unpredictable" for a mobile network, he said.

ASA Chief Executive Guy Parker told BBC Radio 4's You and Yours programme that it now intends to investigate the terms under which packages can claim to offer "unlimited" data downloads

"The market has evolved quite a lot in the last few years particularly with the popularity of mobile broadband. We think it's a good time to have a look at that policy, see if it's fit for purpose," he said.

Kevin Russell at Three said he regretted using the term "unlimited" to describe data packages as it was not "the reality of the market place".

"One of the dumbest things I've done is talk about 'unlimited' data when it's not," he said.

Source http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/10477381.stm
« Last Edit: July 02, 2010, 10:01:33 AM by BJ » Logged
petkow

« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2010, 10:30:00 AM »

Hi BJ. Please don't take this wrong, but did you see the following thread about this subject?
http://www.foneforum.co.uk/index.php/topic,1541.0.html
Perhaps it is better to look for an existing thread than to start a new one! Wink
« Last Edit: July 02, 2010, 10:32:20 AM by petkow » Logged
BJ

« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2010, 04:35:02 PM »

Hi BJ. Please don't take this wrong, but did you see the following thread about this subject?
http://www.foneforum.co.uk/index.php/topic,1541.0.html
Perhaps it is better to look for an existing thread than to start a new one! Wink

No i didnt see it otherwise i would have probaly added it to that thread.

I do normally do a brief check to see if the info has been posted.

Perhaps Admin could move it if he thinks it should be more appropriate to go in the other thread.  Smiley
« Last Edit: July 02, 2010, 04:42:03 PM by BJ » Logged
mobaholic
Administrator

« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2010, 06:51:16 PM »

No i didnt see it otherwise i would have probaly added it to that thread.

I do normally do a brief check to see if the info has been posted.

Perhaps Admin could move it if he thinks it should be more appropriate to go in the other thread.  Smiley

Thank you BJ.       Smiley

To be honest with you, I was tempted even earlier to merge the 2 threads, ( especially as you have pulled me up before for overlooking an existing thread you had started ), but I decided it was better to 'live and let live'.       Wink

I just hope you will kindly reciprocate one day.       Wink

I am far less concerned about a genuine mistake, than I am about more serious attempts to circumvent forum rules.       Smiley

Valued guests are cordially invited to join.  Registration is quick & easy, & only needs an email address.  You can then benefit from contributing to our forum, & being able to use our PM system.

If you do not do so, but wish to make contact, you may email:-  theadminteam.foneforum@gmail.com
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: