Fone Forum
April 18, 2024, 11:10:02 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Fone Forum is pleased to welcome its valued guests and members.  We hope you will all enjoy your time with us, and find us a happy community of shared interests - who pool our knowledge, so that we can all come away better informed.  Wink  Cheesy  Grin

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Free 0800 number with no monthy charge  (Read 10765 times)
ndiqbal

« on: December 08, 2009, 12:18:45 AM »

Hi
I'm looking for a 0800 number, which is free with monthly charges.  I have seen some on google search, they charge 3-4p per min.  I want to know if I routed this number to another 0800 number, would I still pay the charges? - I know is sounds stupid, but I will let you know why later!!!!

Wink

Regards
Nadz
mobaholic
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2009, 02:45:43 PM »

Hi
I'm looking for a 0800 number, which is free with monthly charges.  I have seen some on google search, they charge 3-4p per min.  I want to know if I routed this number to another 0800 number, would I still pay the charges? - I know is sounds stupid, but I will let you know why later!!!!

Wink

Regards
Nadz

I don't know your answer Nadz for sure, but I would guess that it is one that you don't want to hear.        Cry

For one thing, I believe that all 0800 numbers cost you for receiving calls; for another, if you divert it elsewhere, the first 0800 number will not even be the call's final destination - so I wonder if there would be any termination fee to offset costs ?        Undecided

I would advise you to wait for someone knowledgeable like Mikael to answer you, but my gut feeling is that you may well be disappointed.        Cry

« Last Edit: December 08, 2009, 03:07:37 PM by mobaholic » Logged

Valued guests are cordially invited to join.  Registration is quick & easy, & only needs an email address.  You can then benefit from contributing to our forum, & being able to use our PM system.

If you do not do so, but wish to make contact, you may email:-  theadminteam.foneforum@gmail.com
Mikael
Administrator

« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2009, 04:19:04 PM »

It may be possible to do it without making any profit or covering any costs. However, nobody would want to do this, so it could probably be done for about 1p / min on a wholesale basis.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2009, 04:39:27 PM by Mikael » Logged

Valued guests are cordially invited to join.  Registration is quick & easy, & only needs an email address.  You can then benefit from contributing to our forum, & being able to use our PM system.

If you do not do so, but wish to make contact, you may email:-  theadminteam.foneforum@gmail.com
HiPD

« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2009, 08:19:53 AM »

So what are you up to Nadz?  You asked for information, got replies from mh and Mikael, and said ".... I will let you know why later".  Then nothing!  Surely if you ask people to waste their time answering an apparently daft question, the least you can do is to fulfil your promise of an explanation.    Huh

« Last Edit: December 10, 2009, 09:17:14 AM by nixforfun » Logged

A message from the dark side you have Wink
ndiqbal

« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2010, 08:36:18 PM »

Hi HiPD,
Hope you are well. Reason I wanted to know if i can get a free 0800 with no monthly’s.

I am with a telecom company called Onetel.  I have been using a small device which connects to my BT socket, then calls are routed through Onetel.  YES yr probably thinking why go through Onetel and not BT.  Well about 6-7 years ago. There was a package on BT called the 'Light user scheme' which means the less calls you make via BT the bigger discount you get on yr line-rental.  My average line rental per Quater was only £10.50, that’s £3.50p per month BT line rental.  I then joined Onetel (Now Talktalk) which offered free evening and weekend calls for nothing (no monthly fees), but I had to use the phone adaptor.
A few months back, BT got rid of the Light user scheme. and have been trying to stop all call through services via the cheap line rental on BT...

I rang Onetel to get a new access number, but they didn't have a clue what I was talking about and didn't know what I was doing!!!!
I then tried other 0800 numbers, which went through.  So what I was going to do is. buy a 0800 number with no monthly divert to another 0800 number connects to.  I was going to re-direct this to another 0800 number (Onetel) and carry on using their service!

I hope you understand.  if it confusing... its your fault you asked, I gave you an answer... As Mobaholic knows I love finding loopholes Wink
HiPD

« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2010, 09:14:55 PM »

Hi HiPD,
Hope you are well. Reason I wanted to know if i can get a free 0800 with no monthly’s.

I am with a telecom company called Onetel.  I have been using a small device which connects to my BT socket, then calls are routed through Onetel.  YES yr probably thinking why go through Onetel and not BT.  Well about 6-7 years ago. There was a package on BT called the 'Light user scheme' which means the less calls you make via BT the bigger discount you get on yr line-rental.  My average line rental per Quater was only £10.50, that’s £3.50p per month BT line rental.  I then joined Onetel (Now Talktalk) which offered free evening and weekend calls for nothing (no monthly fees), but I had to use the phone adaptor.
A few months back, BT got rid of the Light user scheme. and have been trying to stop all call through services via the cheap line rental on BT...

I rang Onetel to get a new access number, but they didn't have a clue what I was talking about and didn't know what I was doing!!!!
I then tried other 0800 numbers, which went through.  So what I was going to do is. buy a 0800 number with no monthly divert to another 0800 number connects to.  I was going to re-direct this to another 0800 number (Onetel) and carry on using their service!

I hope you understand.  if it confusing... its your fault you asked, I gave you an answer... As Mobaholic knows I love finding loopholes Wink

You certainly took your time replying ndiqbal.  Shocked

Light is beginning to dawn, but slowly!  Shocked

As you say, the LUS has ended, but haven't you realised that that means so too has BT's right to stop indirect access numbers?   Undecided

You DON'T need to go to all of the trouble of hiring an 0800 number at all: ALL you need do is to get BT to lift their bar on indirect access numbers.  They are required to do so by UK law!  Wink

So just point that out to them, and demand your rights.  One you pay full line rental, not discounted as on the LUS, you are entitled to call both short access codes and whatever 0800 number you like!.  Wink

HTH.

BJ

« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2010, 03:35:15 AM »

If you are  not paying BT full line rental, and moved from the Light User Scheme to its replacement BT Basic, then you can still expect calls to be barred.You accept when signing up to BT Basic  you cant normally use a phone service provided by another company (either directly or not directly).

The idea of pointing a fresh 0800 number at the original would not work because you cant piggy back a non geographical number on top of another non geographical number. It needs to be pointed to a geographical number, and you would be charged for the calls defeating the object.

A callback service like www.webcalldirect.com might get round it but they restrict the number of free/inclusive minutes you get per week.

« Last Edit: July 06, 2010, 03:47:56 AM by BJ » Logged
HiPD

« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2010, 07:54:55 AM »

If you are  not paying BT full line rental, and moved from the Light User Scheme to its replacement BT Basic, then you can still expect calls to be barred.You accept when signing up to BT Basic  you cant normally use a phone service provided by another company (either directly or not directly).

You are absolutely right BJ, but if he is on the discounted BT Basic package he did not mention it, and this is surely something of so much significance that ndiqbal would have been negligent not to have done so.

He did specify leaving the Light User Scheme, and talked about using an adapter on a BT line, so it seemed natural to presuppose that he was now on the Weekends calling package, which is their cheapest offering to all but income related benefit claimants.

I also agree that probably nothing but a callback arrangement will allow him to use other providers if he is on the BT Basic scheme.

BJ

« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2010, 09:57:14 AM »

If he is paying full line rental to BT i wonder why he was still bothering with a smart box,and 0800 access numbers ,when he could take advantage of BT free evening and weekend call package, or cps his calls to an alternative supplier.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: