Fone Forum
April 25, 2024, 07:55:41 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Fone Forum is pleased to welcome its valued guests and members.  We hope you will all enjoy your time with us, and find us a happy community of shared interests - who pool our knowledge, so that we can all come away better informed.  Wink  Cheesy  Grin

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Suggestion/request for a Predial callback platform  (Read 16239 times)
petkow

« on: July 28, 2010, 09:28:36 PM »

I was just wondering if Predial has ever considered setting up a callback platform that is based on the successful ordinary SMS topup method or the 03 topup? At the moment all of the predial calling services out there, rely on users having a method of making cheap/free calls to an access number in order to make outgoing calls. However, for some people this may not be feasible. I do acknowledge that the Skype access facility is excellent in this case, though I think a callback route would also be a nice addition.

My thinking is that a callback system becomes a good alternative for accessing services for people who are in halls of residence or on work switchboards where outgoing calls are expensive, monitored or restricted. In many cases, such users can receive incoming calls with no problems via a direct* geographic access number. The idea that I am thinking of is for users to build up credits as normal. However, to make calls, users need to trigger a callback, which entails the system calling them back. The trigger can be done by an SMS or by giving a missed call to a designated geographic access number from a linked handset. (The trigger call itself will not be answered, but Mikael may be able to put a voice prompt on this like he does on the SMS status numbers). The calls should then be charged as a sum of the cost to call the number back plus the cost to call the destination. In addition, the service may also be useful for people who want to receive the callback on a mobile phone (obviously at a higher cost to themselves). e.g. This could be useful for people who have no way of making cheap calls from their phones, or who want to make use of reduced price (or free) incoming calls when they are roaming overseas.

Is this something that might be considered at some point in the future?

(* obviously a callback would not work for people whose incoming calls go via a secretary or a prompted switchboard)

« Last Edit: July 28, 2010, 10:40:17 PM by petkow » Logged
Graham

« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2010, 10:13:26 PM »

An excellent idea, Petkow.  Smiley
delaro
Global Moderator

« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2010, 10:51:33 PM »

Interesting thought petkow. I don't see at the moment any benefits of it for myself, but I'm sure there would be a demand for it. I'm keen on seeing Mikael's reply. It might be a technical (software or/and hardware) challenge for PD.

dlR
« Last Edit: July 29, 2010, 10:05:01 PM by delaro » Logged

petkow

« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2010, 11:49:18 PM »

I too am curious to see what Mikael's response will be and if this is something he will consider doing in the future.  

Another potential application I can see is for people who have PAYG phones that give them free texts. With these they can accumulate high numbers of units, but if they want to use the same phone to spend their units, then they need to pay their provider a per minute voice rate. Ideally therefore, they link another landline, contract phone or skype username in order to call the access number. If they were to do so by callback, then naturally the units required to callback to their handset will also have to met by themselves, but I presume that especially on weekends, these can actually be brought down quite low. (They will obviously cost what it currently costs to call a UK mobile).

The other huge application for all callback services is where the callback itself points to an international number. If the trigger too can be done from overseas (such as by drop-calling the same UK geographic number) then this system could potentially allow your friends/family overseas to make use of the credits that you have accumulated over here in order to make calls from their own phones.

Also, there is the even bigger application for people on cheap home landline packages that do not have any inclusive bundles for calling other landlines, or more commonly the majority of the ones that only give you free off peak calls. During the week, making calls at peak times is often the only way of calling countries like India that is up to 5.5 hrs ahead. The call to the access number can be quite a lot pricier than a call to India via a cheap provider.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2010, 12:16:20 AM by petkow » Logged
srikanth.nuli

« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2010, 03:02:20 AM »

A very good idea but practically to implement it Mikael might tell us whether it is going to be difficult or feasible  Smiley
NewStarter

« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2010, 09:18:04 AM »

Nice idea petkow. waiting to see Mikael's reply on this.
NewStarter

« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2010, 09:41:18 AM »

Interesting thought petkow. I don't see at the moment any benefits of it for myself, but I'm sure there would be a demand for it. I'm keen on seeing Mikael's reply. It might be a technical (software or/and hardware) chalange for PD.

dlR

I guess Chalange is Challenge.. But what is PD??
mike

« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2010, 09:50:54 AM »

I guess Chalange is Challenge.. But what is PD??

Polish short hand for www.pre-dial.com NS.   Wink

BTW what has happened to your website Mikael?   Undecided
It has been unavailable online for a couple of months now I believe!   Shocked

Mikael
Administrator

« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2010, 03:17:42 PM »

pre-dial.com should be up and running again now. It went down as I was changing providers, but I did not get things done quickly enough for a seamless transfer.

Anyway, with regard to the idea for call-back services, I have considered this system a few times. However there are a few issues. Whilst many of my services are very popular most users do have tariffs which allow cheap calls to 01/02/03 numbers to gain access to the services. Any call-back feature would not get used that much. Call-back is also more complex to deal with on a switch, so requires more time and expense to setup. Also, the mobile networks in the uk keep changing their termination rates by a huge amount, so the pricing of call-back could vary lots from month to month.

If in time there is enough demand for call-back I shall take a further look into it, but right now, I'm not sure we have enough demand. However if enough people show and interest, I would be happy to re-consider!
« Last Edit: July 29, 2010, 04:50:42 PM by Mikael » Logged

Valued guests are cordially invited to join.  Registration is quick & easy, & only needs an email address.  You can then benefit from contributing to our forum, & being able to use our PM system.

If you do not do so, but wish to make contact, you may email:-  theadminteam.foneforum@gmail.com
amitjajoo

« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2010, 04:35:32 PM »

I, for one, would definitely be interested in a Call Back system where my folks could call me from India/whereever on my local mobile no. using the units that I have accumulated on the system.  Wink
twister32

« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2010, 03:46:55 AM »

Mikael  please consider this service looks great

gemeni5093

« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2010, 05:24:45 AM »

It would be a great service if you launch it .I think people will love it..Good idea Cheesy
ganjbakhash

« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2010, 11:38:49 AM »

As Mikael said: "However if enough people show and interest, I would be happy to re-consider!"

So I also vote for this please consider this would be great if it comes into being  Cheesy

Regards,

gb

Wanna Change The World? Change Yourself!
moonandstar

« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2010, 12:33:37 PM »

I would also like to see a call back service introduced as it's features allows for more flexible calling options.

Moonandstar

I have added a poll to this thread to see what the users want.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2010, 12:37:11 PM by moonandstar » Logged
NewStarter

« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2010, 04:33:10 PM »

Good work moonandstar,
Nice to see the first use of poll coming on the forum.

-NS
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: