Fone Forum
March 28, 2024, 04:56:07 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Fone Forum is pleased to welcome its valued guests and members.  We hope you will all enjoy your time with us, and find us a happy community of shared interests - who pool our knowledge, so that we can all come away better informed.  Wink  Cheesy  Grin

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: O2 unveils £10 international calling bolt-on deal  (Read 40028 times)
mobaholic
Administrator

« on: October 14, 2010, 01:55:33 PM »

International Favourites to target the £1.4bn international call market

O2 is targeting the £1.4bn international call market by launching International Favourites, a £10 per month bolt-on deal for consumers and SMEs.

The offering, which will launch on 26 October, provides customers with 3,000 minutes (50 hours) at £10 per month to three international landline numbers.

For £20 per month, customers will get 3,000 landline minutes and 200 mobile minutes to five international numbers. The deal covers 60 countries.

Both options come with a ‘Call Me’ number, which gives customers a local phone number in one of 42 countries that connects directly to their UK mobile.  Family and friends in that country can then call their O2 mobile at a local call rate.

Jonathan Earle, head of consumer marketing at O2, told Mobile: ‘International calls tend to fall into two buckets: very short direct calls; and those that want much longer conversations.  Our customers said give us a deal where we don’t have to watch the clock while calling overseas. Make it simple and let me do it on pay-as-you-go or pay monthly.’

O2 claims that the new service will provide a strong alternative to voice over IP calling, as well as differentiating it from its competitors.  The operator estimates that it has around a 10% share of the £1.4bn international calling market but expects there to be plenty of room for expansion with around six million people in the UK wanting to call their families and friends abroad regularly.  Earle said that O2 is also targeting the SME market, which it believes will welcome the value offer.

He added that the operator sees International Favourites as complimentary to its ethnic MVNOs, such as Lycamobile, rather than in competition.

‘It offers our customers more choice.  Call card users tend to make short international calls,’ he said.  He added that while VoIP services such as Skype were good, they are restrictive in that users need access to a computer.'

Mobile revealed in August that the international calling solution, which was due for launch on 24 August, would not be available until a later date.

The service, which will be available through O2’s stores and other direct and indirect channels, will be backed by a major marketing campaign, including TV advertising, starting in November.

Much of the learning for the service has come from Silicon Valley-based VoIP provider Jajah, which O2 bought earlier in the year.  ‘Jajah gave us the agility and expertise to do this, especially on the technical side and the ‘Call Me’ number.

Earle said O2 was working with Jajah on developing a number of other products, which customers can expect to see being rolled out from Q1 2011.

Source:-   MobileToday.

Valued guests are cordially invited to join.  Registration is quick & easy, & only needs an email address.  You can then benefit from contributing to our forum, & being able to use our PM system.

If you do not do so, but wish to make contact, you may email:-  theadminteam.foneforum@gmail.com
petkow

« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2010, 03:52:23 PM »

An interesting development and one that I have been eagerly waiting to return since they trialled this product as IFF earlier on this year. However, it really is a shame that they decided to scrap the lowest priced product, which was for £5 and gave calls to just one number. (plus the incoming number). 
twister32

« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2010, 04:17:40 AM »

any idea if they going to add pakistan in there?
mobaholic
Administrator

« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2010, 10:41:07 AM »

Hand out the crystal balls, and we might take a look for you !        Grin

Valued guests are cordially invited to join.  Registration is quick & easy, & only needs an email address.  You can then benefit from contributing to our forum, & being able to use our PM system.

If you do not do so, but wish to make contact, you may email:-  theadminteam.foneforum@gmail.com
wali

« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2010, 02:12:26 AM »

Will this service allow to make landlines calls only or mobile numbers are also included in 3000 minutes??
thanks
ash

« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2010, 05:33:15 PM »

I suppose you should properly read OP by MH-
The offering, which will launch on 26 October, provides customers with 3,000 minutes (50 hours) at £10 per month to three international landline numbers.

Hope that would clear the doubts.
wali

« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2010, 05:48:00 PM »

Not a good news then.
petkow

« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2010, 09:03:28 AM »

I very much doubt it after the fiasco they had with calls to Pakistan during the trial period, which resulted in them having to remove it as an inclusive destination.
ganjbakhash

« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2010, 04:31:24 PM »

I very much doubt it after the fiasco they had with calls to Pakistan during the trial period, which resulted in them having to remove it as an inclusive destination.

Nice to listen about the service again!

Very good question raised by users about Pakistan may be included country or not in future? I agree with petkow's  point, but only one thing that I noticed is last time they allowed 3 any numbers in £10/- (i.e. mobile or land line), this time they only described 3 any land line numbers in £10/- and only 200 minutes on mobile in £20/- tariff. So I could hope and wish that Pakistan should be included as now a days Mikael's text service is not working, so still worth it to use 3000 minutes on land line. Wink

Let see the Mh's findings as he said to check out for Pakistani users.  Grin

Regards,

gb
« Last Edit: October 18, 2010, 06:09:28 PM by ganjbakhash » Logged

Wanna Change The World? Change Yourself!
NewStarter

« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2010, 04:50:09 PM »

Let see the Mh's findings as he said to check out for Pakistani users. Wink

Hi gb, where did MH say he will check out this info??
delaro
Global Moderator

« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2010, 04:57:25 PM »

Hi gb, where did MH say he will check out this info??

With all respect gb pal, it's not the first time I see you making a post without reading what's already been said prior posting...  Roll Eyes

ganjbakhash

« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2010, 06:09:06 PM »

With all respect gb pal, it's not the first time I see you making a post without reading what's already been said prior posting...  Roll Eyes

I am sorry if you got meanings of my post quite literal!

Actually I posted these words in humors way, like Mh posted: we might take a look for you!  Grin

Sorry again if you perceived in different point of view.

Regards,

gb

Wanna Change The World? Change Yourself!
petkow

« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2010, 09:33:02 PM »

I guess we'll just have to wait until the 26th of October. However, the product does actually sound quite promising. The incoming number can now allegedly be in one of 42 country's (they only had 24 on o2 IFF), and the outgoing calls can be made to a wider range of countries too, though no specific details are available yet.

I do love some of the reporting on this story. On Mobilechoices.co.uk they have this to say:
O2’s International Favourites package uses Voice over Internet Protocol (VoIP) technology to relay voices over an internet connection. This method, made famous by the PC video conferencing software Skype, is considerably cheaper than sending voices over radio waves, as is normally the case.
Written by someone who obviously has no clue about telecommunications.
Source: http://www.mobilechoices.co.uk/news/o2-international-favourites-voip-141010.html
davegr
Administrator

« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2010, 02:24:21 AM »

Does anybody have a link to the countries from which it was possible to get a local number during the beta testing period?
petkow

« Reply #14 on: October 19, 2010, 10:05:37 AM »

Does anybody have a link to the countries from which it was possible to get a local number during the beta testing period?
Yes. I put together a list of the countries and cities/towns in a post on the old thread about the Beta service. See: http://www.foneforum.co.uk/index.php/topic,1367.msg6840.html#msg6840
(scroll down to the bottom of the post for the full list)
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: