Fone Forum
March 29, 2024, 11:36:34 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Fone Forum is pleased to welcome its valued guests and members.  We hope you will all enjoy your time with us, and find us a happy community of shared interests - who pool our knowledge, so that we can all come away better informed.  Wink  Cheesy  Grin

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: BT Planning 110Mbps Fibre Broadband Service  (Read 10110 times)
mobaholic
Administrator

« on: October 20, 2010, 02:04:52 PM »

BT is planning on offering a 110 Mbps broadband connection in the UK under its Openreach division from spring next year.

Tech news website PC Advisor has revealed that BT's Openreach wholesale arm will be offering the super-fast FTTP to other ISPs for a UK wide roll out.

Although the connection is designed to offer 110 Mbps of internet speeds, BT clarified that users will be able to get download speed of 110 Mbps and upload speed of 15 Mbps.

A BT spokesperson said in a statement: “Communications providers advertising 100Mbps, that's exactly what consumers are going to get. You're going to get 100Mbps, it's not an 'up to' service.”

However, the BT spokesperson also said that users will not be able to get download speeds of 100 Mbps round the clock. When the network is strained then each user will get a "prioritised rate downstream bandwidth capability" of 20 Mbps.

BT plans to offer to connections to ISPs for £258.48 annually or purchased alongside a voice for  £157.80 per year.

Source:-   ITProPortal.

Valued guests are cordially invited to join.  Registration is quick & easy, & only needs an email address.  You can then benefit from contributing to our forum, & being able to use our PM system.

If you do not do so, but wish to make contact, you may email:-  theadminteam.foneforum@gmail.com
ganjbakhash

« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2010, 04:29:41 PM »

One quick question.

Is the said speed possible on conventional copper wire, or they may need to use a fiber optical wire?

Wanna Change The World? Change Yourself!
delaro
Global Moderator

« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2010, 04:35:18 PM »

In this article it is said 'FTTP' - that is Fiber-To-The-Premises... I'm not sure if you're able to achieve such speed on copper cables at all...

ganjbakhash

« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2010, 04:41:16 PM »

In this article it is said 'FTTP' - that is Fiber-To-The-Premises... I'm not sure if you're able to achieve such speed on copper cables at all...

I agree! Its mean wherever they will install fiber optic only in that area the service would be available not in whole country in the start.

Wanna Change The World? Change Yourself!
petkow

« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2010, 05:37:01 PM »

The projected upload speeds are still a bit disappointing.   Sad

The Japanese get pretty much the same up stream and down stream: http://www.foneforum.co.uk/index.php/topic,1468.0.html
delaro
Global Moderator

« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2010, 10:34:24 PM »

One quick question.

Is the said speed possible on conventional copper wire, or they may need to use a fiber optical wire?

It is actually possible to achieve pretty high speeds on copper wires. There's a maximum adsl speed calculator if someone would like to check their's line speed.

ADSL2+ extends the capability of basic ADSL by doubling the number of downstream bits. The data rates can be as high as 24 Mbit/s downstream and up to 1.4 Mbit/s upstream depending on the distance from the DSLAM to the customer's premises.

There is also ADSL3 being developed that allegedly could achieve speeds of up to 200 Mb/s and 100 Mb/s download and upload respectively (providing the distance from exchange is not more than 300 meters). I could not find any decent articles on that in English therefore I enclose the source I found ... in Polish if that helps Grin

dlR

davegr
Administrator

« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2010, 11:48:44 PM »

I think it's going to be a combination of FTTP (fiber to the premises) and FTTC (fiber to the cabinet). In the fiber to the cabinet scenario there will be a mini dslam in the cabinet running VDSL2 over copper to the customer.
seanjoe

« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2010, 11:46:03 AM »

I'm in Milton Keynes and I think there is some initial testing happening in this neck of the woods. I'm keeping my eyes and ears wide open here as I live in an area which is about 3.5km from the exchange and am suffering from low speeds.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: