Fone Forum
March 19, 2024, 06:23:31 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Fone Forum is pleased to welcome its valued guests and members.  We hope you will all enjoy your time with us, and find us a happy community of shared interests - who pool our knowledge, so that we can all come away better informed.  Wink  Cheesy  Grin

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: A word about security on your computer.  (Read 4527 times)
mobaholic
Administrator

« on: August 05, 2008, 02:49:44 PM »

There is no 'right place' for this topic, as it's really to do with computer security in general, not with this forum in particular.        Wink

News is somewhat thin on the ground at present, so I though I would post this on the landlines'' board: as the least worst place for it.       Wink

It is to do with passwords that we all chose.

What would you say were the 10 most commonly chosen passwords online ?

A recent survey came up with the following interesting list:-

1.) password
2.) 123456
3.) qwerty
4.) abc123
5.) letmein
6.) monkey
7.) myspace1
8.) password1
9.) link182
10.) your first name

"Now, let me ask you this: is your current password on that list?  If so, I bet you already know what's coming next. Yep, you are putting yourself at great risk by using a password like that.  Passwords like those can be guessed by hackers in a matter of seconds, which means you're only making things easier for them.  All in all, if you're using one of the above passwords, I urge you to change it right away.  If you need help coming up with a more secure password, read this tip.  It's very easy to create a password that will keep you better protected, so please do it today.  For goodness sake, please keep yourself safe!"

My gratitude is acknowledged to the worldstart newsletter, to which I subscribe, for this article.        Smiley

« Last Edit: August 06, 2008, 02:21:22 PM by mobaholic » Logged

Valued guests are cordially invited to join.  Registration is quick & easy, & only needs an email address.  You can then benefit from contributing to our forum, & being able to use our PM system.

If you do not do so, but wish to make contact, you may email:-  theadminteam.foneforum@gmail.com
mobaholic
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2008, 10:43:12 AM »

There is a follow up article in today's newletter from worldstart which contributes a further idea:-

"Sing Your Password

I know we featured a password tip in the newsletter just the other day, but in the meantime, one of our loyal readers (thank you Mr. Kenneth J. Roberts!) sent me another great password idea.  It's the method he uses for all of his passwords and I thought it was so great, I just had to pass it along to all of you as well.  So, if you ever have trouble coming up with secure passwords, you might want to give this a try. It's a sure fire way to remember every single one you create. Here we go!

Now, I'm sure you're wondering why the title to today's Quick Tip is "Sing Your Password," right?  Well, that's because a great way to create a new password is to use parts of your favorite songs!  An easy way is to pick one of your favorite songs and take the first letter of each word in a phrase in the song. For example, one of my favorite songs is "The Dance" by Garth Brooks and one of the best lines in that song (in my opinion) is, "Our lives are better left to chance." So, my new password would be "olabltc."

To make it even more secure, you could add a few numbers or symbols to the end of it as well.  I like the number 25, so I would use the password of "olabltc25."  It's as easy as that!  And the best thing is, you'll never forget your password, because it's simply some of the letters from your favorite songs.  All you have to do is sing the song in your head and you'll have your password.  It's just another way to make passwords that will keep you as safe as possible.  Give it a shot today and see what you can come up with!"

Valued guests are cordially invited to join.  Registration is quick & easy, & only needs an email address.  You can then benefit from contributing to our forum, & being able to use our PM system.

If you do not do so, but wish to make contact, you may email:-  theadminteam.foneforum@gmail.com
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: