Fone Forum
April 19, 2024, 09:19:18 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Fone Forum is pleased to welcome its valued guests and members.  We hope you will all enjoy your time with us, and find us a happy community of shared interests - who pool our knowledge, so that we can all come away better informed.  Wink  Cheesy  Grin

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Warning to BT customers.  (Read 11652 times)
mobaholic
Administrator

« on: August 07, 2008, 03:57:17 PM »

I have just heard that tiny print on a letter and email just received from BT says that the 1571 standard service is going to cost £1 per month if you don't make at least 2 charged calls per month.        Huh

Those who use their landline only for broadband, or only for receiving calls, could get an unexpected addition to their bill.        Angry

At the moment http://www.bt.com/youraccount still says it's free, and provides no way to disable it, but watch that space for a chance to do so.        Wink

Valued guests are cordially invited to join.  Registration is quick & easy, & only needs an email address.  You can then benefit from contributing to our forum, & being able to use our PM system.

If you do not do so, but wish to make contact, you may email:-  theadminteam.foneforum@gmail.com
Heinz
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2008, 07:43:14 PM »

On behalf of their friends and family, I always urge people to dump 1571 and use a standard answering machine instead.

BT doesn't make it easy to switch 1571 off but I eventually found a page where that can be done without having to hang on for ages to speak to someone - HERE.

mobaholic
Administrator

« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2008, 10:38:39 AM »

On behalf of their friends and family, I always urge people to dump 1571 and use a standard answering machine instead.

BT doesn't make it easy to switch 1571 off but I eventually found a page where that can be done without having to hang on for ages to speak to someone - HERE.

I think it would probably be worth your posting your original comments here Heinz - rather than just giving a link ( on this occasion ).        Wink

Thank you very much for your page for contacting BT.        Smiley

BTW have you tried using it yourself, and do they actually respond as they should ?        Undecided

« Last Edit: August 08, 2008, 10:45:29 AM by mobaholic » Logged

Valued guests are cordially invited to join.  Registration is quick & easy, & only needs an email address.  You can then benefit from contributing to our forum, & being able to use our PM system.

If you do not do so, but wish to make contact, you may email:-  theadminteam.foneforum@gmail.com
Heinz
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2008, 03:24:56 PM »

Thank you very much for your page for contacting BT.        Smiley

BTW have you tried using it yourself, and do they actually respond as they should ?        Undecided

Yes - I've used it for myself and for my Mother - response within a couple of hours!

The reason I say 'DUMP 1571' is because, IMHO, 'free' 1571 services are nothing more than a clever con by call provider companies.

That's because, if you call someone who has the 'service' and they happen to be engaged on a call already, you go straight through to the 1571 'machine' (you have no option, the decision is out of your hands). Your call is connected and you are charged (if you don't have an inclusive call package, such a call on a weekday on BT would cost 6p connection and a minimum of 4p for the first minute). So, even if you don't want to leave a message, that call has cost you 10p or more. Trying again (and again, and again) might have the same result too (starts getting expensive).

If the person you called didn't have 1571, you'd have heard an engaged tone, would have realised they were busy on a call, would not have been charged anything and probably would have decided to try again after a few minutes.

An answering machine set to answer after 8 or 9 rings is a far more 'friends and family friendly' device for when you're out. F&F quickly learn that, if you haven't answered by, say, the fifth ring, you're not going to - so they have the option of hanging on until the answering machine kicks in and leaving a message (at their expense) or hanging up (at no expense) and trying later.

BT has now come up with another little ruse to squeeze even more money out of 1571 - 'FREE' text alerts. Actually, it's not free to use - just free to sign up (isn't that good of them?) - the cost of the texts is charged to the landline number.

DUMP IT. DUMP IT. DUMP IT.

I dumped 1571 some time ago and picked up a very nice brand new BT Decor 500 LST/Answering machine on ebay for about £10. This 'campaign' must be working - the prices are a little higher now!

If you have BT 1571, you can cancel it online - click HERE to avoid spending ages trying to cancel by phone.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2008, 08:44:30 PM by Heinz » Logged
leighvamessage
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2008, 12:21:19 PM »

BT are making a number of price changes on the 16/9/08 including this one.

You first mentioned  them here: http://www.foneforum.co.uk/index.php/topic,123.0.html

« Last Edit: August 11, 2008, 12:23:36 PM by leighvamessage » Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: