Fone Forum
April 24, 2024, 10:48:53 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Fone Forum is pleased to welcome its valued guests and members.  We hope you will all enjoy your time with us, and find us a happy community of shared interests - who pool our knowledge, so that we can all come away better informed.  Wink  Cheesy  Grin

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Unable to send SMS abroad  (Read 13759 times)
moonandstar

« on: August 07, 2008, 06:48:29 PM »

I was not really sure where to post this topic so i decided this was the best place. If it is not in the right place can admin move it to a board where it is most appropriate.

My problem is that I am unable to send SMS abroad (specifically Pakistan) and I don't receive them either.

I am on a o2 iPhone contract and able to make and receive calls with no problems. Any others useres have this problem and is there any way to rectify it. I have tried changing the international prefix from +92 to 0092 and still no luck.

Also is anyone aware of a way to get SMS delivery reports on the iPhone?

Thank You.

prion

« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2008, 09:34:14 PM »

In order for you to be able to send and receive sms from specific networks, the two networks must have some form of agreement. This might be a reason. Another reason might have to do with this specific network in Pakistan. Are you sure they can send sms abroad and also receive? Have you tried sending sms to them via another carrier? e.g. vodafone or T-mobile

moonandstar

« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2008, 09:02:28 AM »

I attempted to send an SMS from the vodafone network and it went through fine. What's strange is that I was able to send and recieve texts with no problem before I upgraded to an iPhone contract. I will contact o2 and find out what the problem is.
mobaholic
Administrator

« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2008, 10:30:06 AM »

Good morning moonandstar.  I understand the problem about finding the right board for this topic - so I agree that it is best placed here.        Smiley

I agree with prion's advice, as I should have posted something similar if I had got here first.        Wink

O2 have been lazy, historically, in setting up agreements with foreign networks, and many of them are unable to receive either SMS or MMS in consequence.        Roll Eyes
I first came across this problem, personally, when I investigated a similar problem in sending MMS to Hungary.        Wink

My personal view, for what it may be worth, is that T-Mobile have the best coverage for international SMS and MMS.        Wink

I have never owned an iPhone ( nor wanted to be mug enough to pay for all the Apple hype that surrounds it ! ), but I would suggest that the way to get delivery reports for SMS on this mobile would be the same as on any other O2 one: start your message with *0#        Shocked

HTH.

mh.

Valued guests are cordially invited to join.  Registration is quick & easy, & only needs an email address.  You can then benefit from contributing to our forum, & being able to use our PM system.

If you do not do so, but wish to make contact, you may email:-  theadminteam.foneforum@gmail.com
moonandstar

« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2008, 10:55:22 AM »

Morning mh, thanks for the *0# code, this does indeed get me delivery reports. I tried to send a message to Pakistan with this code but the message does not reach the recipient nor do I get a delivery report telling me if the message went through or not. The delivery reports work fine when sending messages within the UK.

What's is strange to me is I have had this o2 contract for a couple of years now and was able to send and receive SMS with no problems. Ever since I upgraded I have been faced with this problem regardless of what phone I put my sim into.

I will be contacting o2 and ask them to sort out the problem I am facing. Hopefully they can sort out their network problems.
prion

« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2008, 01:26:36 PM »

What is the name of the Pakistani network you are trying to send the sms to?
mobaholic
Administrator

« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2008, 02:30:44 PM »

Morning mh, thanks for the *0# code, this does indeed get me delivery reports. I tried to send a message to Pakistan with this code but the message does not reach the recipient nor do I get a delivery report telling me if the message went through or not. The delivery reports work fine when sending messages within the UK.

What's is strange to me is I have had this o2 contract for a couple of years now and was able to send and receive SMS with no problems. Ever since I upgraded I have been faced with this problem regardless of what phone I put my sim into.

I will be contacting o2 and ask them to sort out the problem I am facing. Hopefully they can sort out their network problems.

O2 delivery reports come on delivery: there is no interim report before then.
( They do not send a 'Pending' report such as is received on some networks.     Wink  )

However, O2 DO guarantee to send a report if you start your message with *0#
This can come up to a week later - if you have set your delivery time to 'maximum'.        Wink

However, within the next week you WILL get a delivery report - even if it only records a failure or 'timed out'.        Shocked

I am sorry but I am unable to advise you about any problem associated with Apple's over priced and under spec. junk.        Grin

« Last Edit: August 08, 2008, 03:28:33 PM by mobaholic » Logged

Valued guests are cordially invited to join.  Registration is quick & easy, & only needs an email address.  You can then benefit from contributing to our forum, & being able to use our PM system.

If you do not do so, but wish to make contact, you may email:-  theadminteam.foneforum@gmail.com
moonandstar

« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2008, 07:16:38 PM »

What is the name of the Pakistani network you are trying to send the SMS to?

i think it might me mobilink but i am not sure the number starts 0322.

i spoke to o2 and explained the situation, the nice lady explained that o2 may not have an agreement with that network to send and receive SMS. She advised me to call the Pakistan service operator and make them aware of the situation.

I can not SMS that network regardless of what tariff or what phone i have... seems like I'm stuck until o2 sort out an agreement with these networks. I would have thought it would be in o2's best interest to have these agreements to increase all channels of revenue.

mobaholic
Administrator

« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2008, 09:22:20 AM »

i think it might me mobilink but i am not sure the number starts 0322.

i spoke to o2 and explained the situation, the nice lady explained that o2 may not have an agreement with that network to send and receive SMS. She advised me to call the Pakistan service operator and make them aware of the situation.

I can not SMS that network regardless of what tariff or what phone i have... seems like I'm stuck until o2 sort out an agreement with these networks. I would have thought it would be in o2's best interest to have these agreements to increase all channels of revenue.

Your logic may be compelling, but perhaps the Spaniards have their customary attitude of "maņana"!        Roll Eyes

prion

« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2008, 09:25:44 AM »

The network is (possible number portability not taken into account) Warid and they do not seem to have an agreement with O2. So you have your answer!
moonandstar

« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2008, 09:51:00 AM »

The network is (possible number portability not taken into account) Warid and they do not seem to have an agreement with O2. So you have your answer!
Yes the network is warid, o2 have no agreement with this network. Seems I am stuck unless the situation changes in the foreseeable future.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: