Fone Forum
March 29, 2024, 10:34:58 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Fone Forum is pleased to welcome its valued guests and members.  We hope you will all enjoy your time with us, and find us a happy community of shared interests - who pool our knowledge, so that we can all come away better informed.  Wink  Cheesy  Grin

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: how to stop receiving 84459 premium texts  (Read 21193 times)
yoursinlove

« on: February 11, 2012, 02:30:19 PM »

Hi guys

On my O2 SIM, I have received few messages from 84459, charged me £2.67  Shocked each message for receiving premium texts.
I googled it, so got the information that I am registered with some quiz and win sort of service, who send me texts regularly, costing me £2.67 each time (first time in my life I was terrified to receive a Text message Embarrassed).

Does anyone know, what is it and how to stop it and what about the charges?

Regards

KHAN
davegr
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2012, 02:58:56 PM »

I believe you can send something like "STOP" or "STOP ALL" to the number and they are legally bound to stop sending you texts.

I don't think this belongs in "suggestions/requests for pre-dial" btw.
mobaholic
Administrator

« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2012, 03:15:50 PM »

I believe that davegr's advice is basically correct.  You need to text STOP ALL to 84459.        Wink

However, 3 things to be added to that.

Firstly, you will be charged yet another £2-67 for sending that text to the shortcode ( probably. )        Cry

Secondly, there is an official body to which you can complain for such unsolicited abuses.  Unfortunately, I can't remember it's name right now.  Can anybody else help out with this please ?

Thirdly, it is worth complaining to O2, who are relaying such texts to you.  You should be prepared for them stonewalling you by saying it has nothing to do with them, and that you must take it up with the owners of 84459.  But it is worth contesting that.

I once had a similar experience on T-Mobile.  I eventually got £30 of compensation from the network, who reluctantly admitted that they 'recycled' numbers.  One a number was finished with, they reissued it to someone else.  If the first owner had subscribed for a service, the subsequent owner got the texts.  Sneaky !       Huh

Valued guests are cordially invited to join.  Registration is quick & easy, & only needs an email address.  You can then benefit from contributing to our forum, & being able to use our PM system.

If you do not do so, but wish to make contact, you may email:-  theadminteam.foneforum@gmail.com
yoursinlove

« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2012, 03:34:39 PM »

Thanks Mh for the information.

I have already send O2 a detail email, as their automated systems were giving me strange answers. I will update here, what I get.

Davegr, I searched all the sections and only word SUGGESTION, clicked me so I posted it here, Now I have moved it to 'Other Technology related discussion'.

Here I think one board can be added with the name or similar to 'Advise/Report Problems/suggestion about the  services' to give it a clear clue or some description can be added to any old one for the same purpose.

KHAN
davegr
Administrator

« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2012, 04:02:09 PM »

Firstly, you will be charged yet another £2-67 for sending that text to the shortcode ( probably. )        Cry

I believe it will be charged as a standard text message!

Secondly, there is an official body to which you can complain for such unsolicited abuses.  Unfortunately, I can't remember it's name right now.  Can anybody else help out with this please ?

PhonePayPlus?

Thirdly, it is worth complaining to O2, who are relaying such texts to you.  You should be prepared for them stonewalling you by saying it has nothing to do with them, and that you must take it up with the owners of 84459.  But it is worth contesting that.

I once complained to Tesco about a similar thing and got a credit applied to my account straight away. The same problem with T-Mobile was not so easily solved!

I once had a similar experience on T-Mobile.  I eventually got £30 of compensation from the network, who reluctantly admitted that they 'recycled' numbers.  One a number was finished with, they reissued it to someone else.  If the first owner had subscribed for a service, the subsequent owner got the texts.  Sneaky !       Huh
yoursinlove

« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2012, 03:46:34 AM »

I got the following response from O2.

I've checked your recent bill charges and found that you've been
correctly charged £2.67 for receiving premium texts.. You're receiving
these messages as you may have knowingly or unknowingly subscribed to a
Premium Rate text message service. You may have sent just one message
accidentally or registered on certain websites, which could subscribe
you to a service, which sends you regular alerts weekly or even up to
seven times a day.

Also as these messages aren't included in your allowance and you're
charged separately.

I'd be happy to cancel this for you but I'm unable to do so, as you're
getting these messages by a third party.

However, you don't need to worry, as you can simply cancel this service
by sending STOP as a text message to 84459 and Send OFF as a text
message to 87103 and 21203  .

I'd be happy to cancel this for you but I'm unable to do so, as you're
getting these messages by a third party.

You'll find the details below of the company that is sending these
messages to you:

short code - 84459
company name - Content
contact number - 08702 480 277

short code - 87103
company name - Mobile Interactive Group
contact number - 08702 354 042

short code - 21203
company name - Mmail
contact number - 08705 214 000

Calls to the above number are charged at 20.4p per minute from O2 Pay
Monthly phones.

KHAN
dave.g
Learner

« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2012, 01:37:26 PM »

RE 84459
HOW DO YOU STOP CHARGES FOR 84459
FIRST CONTACT YOUR MOBILE PROVIDER AND GET THEM TO BLOCK THIS NUMBER.
ALSO TELL THEM YOU NEVER ASKED FOR THIS SERVICE TO CONTACT YOU. AND SEE IF THEY WILL DROP THE CALL CHARGES TO YOU. WE GOT £20 OFF
THEN YOU HAVE TO RING 08702480277 AND CANCEL YOUR SUBSCRIPTION EVEN THOUGH YOU MAY NOT HAVE SUBSCRIBED TO IT ( JUST LIKE ME )
OR REPLY TO THE TEXT WITH STOP. BUT YOU WILL BE CHARGED FOR IT.
getcopy

« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2012, 06:09:11 PM »

RE 84459
HOW DO YOU STOP CHARGES FOR 84459
FIRST CONTACT YOUR MOBILE PROVIDER AND GET THEM TO BLOCK THIS NUMBER.
ALSO TELL THEM YOU NEVER ASKED FOR THIS SERVICE TO CONTACT YOU. AND SEE IF THEY WILL DROP THE CALL CHARGES TO YOU. WE GOT £20 OFF
THEN YOU HAVE TO RING 08702480277 AND CANCEL YOUR SUBSCRIPTION EVEN THOUGH YOU MAY NOT HAVE SUBSCRIBED TO IT ( JUST LIKE ME )
OR REPLY TO THE TEXT WITH STOP. BUT YOU WILL BE CHARGED FOR IT.
Hi dave.g,

This is your first post, so I would like to give bit of advise here. Making entire post in upper case letters is assumed as offensive/aggressive. As you have just joined the forum, today only, it's best to go through some informative posts like this

Hope you make good contribution to the forum in future.
-
gc
Tadam

Join consoleforumchat.freefo.us

« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2012, 06:21:38 PM »

That happened to me!! They took £1:50 per prem text!! All together they took £15 without me knowing! I complained and they gave me £30 as a sorry gift!! I was well happy!! Cheesy you should see if you can get your cash back!!

Look at my profile and join the link!! Smiley

Giff gaff, what a network!! Cheesy
smethrony

« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2012, 11:19:49 PM »

gsm booster provide best network frequency for Mobile
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: