Fone Forum
March 28, 2024, 08:48:48 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Fone Forum is pleased to welcome its valued guests and members.  We hope you will all enjoy your time with us, and find us a happy community of shared interests - who pool our knowledge, so that we can all come away better informed.  Wink  Cheesy  Grin

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Calls To Freephone 0800/0808/0500 numbers to be free from Mobiles !  (Read 19316 times)
BJ

« on: December 16, 2010, 06:05:44 PM »

"Ofcom is proposing to standardise and simplify how a wide range of non-geographic numbers are priced which will help to promote transparency and competition in delivering services through these numbers.
Under the proposals calls to 0800 numbers will be free from mobiles; it currently costs up to 40p a minute to call an 0800 number from a mobile.
The proposals are based on new powers which will be introduced as a result of revised European telecoms legislation"

Source: http://consumers.ofcom.org.uk/2010/12/tackling-consumer-confusion-over-call-charges/

« Last Edit: December 16, 2010, 06:09:54 PM by BJ » Logged
petkow

« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2010, 09:52:10 PM »

Interesting! I think in the past UK networks have always been reluctant at allowing freephone calls at free/cheap rates as they have always feared people undercutting their own voice services by using calling cards etc. However, these can hardly be too much of a threat anymore, and besides some networks like Giffgaff already offer free 0800 calls. I have noticed that calls to freephone numbers are already free from other mobiles in many parts of Europe. (e.g. Spain)

I presume this change will imply that the owner of the freephone line will have to pay a much higher per minute incoming charge for calls that originate on a mobile network, when compared to those that come from landlines. Several owners and businesses might even just block calls originating from mobiles. This is the case in Spain where as far as I am aware all freephone numbers maybe technically free from mobiles, but several do not actually work. That's hardly a user friendly solution anyhow.

Rather than the EU doing its usual meddling and insisting that they become completely free, why on earth could Ofcom not decide that networks should just charge them at standard landline rates, so that they come out of your inclusive allowance. Of course the savvy will know to do this via Mikaels service anyhow! Wink
« Last Edit: December 16, 2010, 10:13:42 PM by petkow » Logged
ganjbakhash

« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2010, 06:07:15 PM »

Quite Informative.  Cool

Wanna Change The World? Change Yourself!
andy

« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2010, 01:32:00 AM »

Interesting! I think in the past UK networks have always been reluctant at allowing freephone calls at free/cheap rates as they have always feared people undercutting their own voice services by using calling cards etc. However, these can hardly be too much of a threat anymore, and besides some networks like Giffgaff already offer free 0800 calls. I have noticed that calls to freephone numbers are already free from other mobiles in many parts of Europe. (e.g. Spain)

I presume this change will imply that the owner of the freephone line will have to pay a much higher per minute incoming charge for calls that originate on a mobile network, when compared to those that come from landlines. Several owners and businesses might even just block calls originating from mobiles. This is the case in Spain where as far as I am aware all freephone numbers maybe technically free from mobiles, but several do not actually work. That's hardly a user friendly solution anyhow.

Same in many countries - callthough numbers either blocked or the provider charges higher tariffs to their customer to cover the cost they are paying the network

I had to ask someone in Germany to test about 8 or 10 freephone numbers in Germany before I found one that worked, and that had a 9 pence a minute surcharge. 13 pence a minute to call UK was ok for me at the time, until it became possible to call for 8 or 6 cents a minute using new mvno brands.

A few years ago, some joker launched a callthrough service with one or two pence a minute calls from freephone numbers. Or so he said. I was sceptical, and asked if he was sure about that from for example a KPN callbox at Amsterdam airport, which I said was impossible and KPN would certainly either charge or block, based on comments I'd read elsewhere. I got into a discussion with Martin Lewis about this, and he reckoned I was being too critical, and he'd given the bloke permission to reply to service queries. 3 weeks later a thread on MSE had whinges from someone who'd spent all their credit calling UK from a Tenerife callbox, at an apparent tariff about 6 or 10 times that published. 3 weeks after that the website went offline ...

So, taking that waffle partly into account, overall I reckon if Ofcom manages to thrash out an agreement on this, it's reasonably likely we aren't going to be pleased with the results as far as callthrough use goes
« Last Edit: December 18, 2010, 02:06:51 AM by andy » Logged
mad-hatter
Learner

« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2011, 12:09:33 PM »

http://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/0800-wizard/id414662090?mt=8

Just found this on the app store, it just seems to have been released and it directs you to an 01 number automatically via their app.  It works with virtually any 0800 number

No more 0800 charges for iphone users, use your bundles/free minutes
BJ

« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2011, 03:49:10 AM »

http://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/0800-wizard/id414662090?mt=8

Just found this on the app store, it just seems to have been released and it directs you to an 01 number automatically via their app.  It works with virtually any 0800 number

No more 0800 charges for iphone users, use your bundles/free minutes

You have been able to use geographical access numbers like

Pre-Dial,s:  0200-222-0700 or  0200-222-0900;
QX Dial,s : 01635-774-305 or 01635-774-325

to make calls to freephone numbers 0500/0800/0808 from your inclusive not free minutes , for years.

Not restricted to  just I Phone Users. Wink

There is also an app for Android users to : http://market.android.com/details?id=com.garth.numberrewriter  Smiley

« Last Edit: March 18, 2011, 03:57:12 AM by BJ » Logged
mad-hatter
Learner

« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2011, 04:14:06 PM »

Now theres a whole bunch of Apps that save money, not just 0800 numbers.

http://www.wizardofapps.co.uk

Cheesy
Ian012

« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2015, 02:41:11 PM »

Finally, many years later, calls to 080 numbers become free from mobile phones on 1July 2015. Calls to 116 numbers and services such 111 and 112 will continue to be free calls.

Calls to 0500 numbers will not become free but all users of 0500 numbers have the option to move to the matching 0808 5 number. This must be done before 3 June 2017. On that date any remaining 0500 numbers will be withdrawn from use.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: