Fone Forum
December 13, 2017, 05:04:45 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Fone Forum is pleased to welcome its valued guests and members to our 3rd year of action !  We hope you will all enjoy your time with us, and find us a happy community of shared interests - who pool our knowledge, so that we can all come away better informed.  Wink  Cheesy  Grin

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: New registrations suspended  (Read 7623 times)
TheAdminTeam
TheAdminTeam
Administrator

« on: March 11, 2016, 05:21:45 PM »

The forum has been under attack by multiple spammers this afternoon.

I have twice closed the forum while both spammers were banned and their posts removed.
About a dozen have already been banned this afternoon.
But 'new' members have been registering as soon as old members are banned, and a better solution is needed.

The ultimate solution is for Mikael to get our Mods reinstalled, especially those which deal with robot registrations and postings.

In the interim, I have disabled new registrations, so that no new spammers can get on the forum to post their spam here.

I very much hope that this measure will not need to be in place for long.

Admin.

Valued guests are cordially invited to register here, which only takes a minute & an email address!

Those who wish to contact us before registering may email us at:-  theadminteam.foneforum@gmail.com
davegr
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2016, 05:56:23 PM »

I had not realised that there were apparently many mods installed to affect the behaviour of the forum software. I had a quick look through the admin section but didn't see a way to add these mods, so I assume they are not officially supported and would need more privs than admin access to the forum to install.

I'm also somewhat confused as to why the forum got into this state. I know there was an issue recently but could a backup not be restored to bring things back to normal functioning?
TheAdminTeam
TheAdminTeam
Administrator

« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2016, 06:05:44 PM »

Firstly davegr, our core software is now SMS 1.1.21.
If previous backups worked, which I doubt, it would take us back to SMS1.1.11, which is highly inadvisable.
Numerous vulnerabilities have been found in it, and SMF have advised for some years now that it should be abandoned.  We were 'lucky' IMO that we got away with sticking to version 11, missing out all the upgrades from 12 to 20.

Secondly, please see my post here which explains the position about our Mods.
It is NOT possible to reinstall them from admin.
Core files on our hosting server need to be changed, and / or the Mods need to be rewritten.

If you need further information please contact me privately, as it is unwise to post too much information on open forum.

« Last Edit: March 11, 2016, 06:14:32 PM by TheAdminTeam » Logged

Valued guests are cordially invited to register here, which only takes a minute & an email address!

Those who wish to contact us before registering may email us at:-  theadminteam.foneforum@gmail.com
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: