Fone Forum
March 19, 2024, 08:43:08 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Fone Forum is pleased to welcome its valued guests and members.  We hope you will all enjoy your time with us, and find us a happy community of shared interests - who pool our knowledge, so that we can all come away better informed.  Wink  Cheesy  Grin

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Virgin mobile sim only  (Read 85553 times)
androidfan

« on: June 13, 2016, 10:49:27 PM »

Has anyone had their virgin mobile sim closed due to calling 08 numbers?
davegr
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2016, 10:51:00 PM »

Yes, I know of a few cases over the last few days.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2016, 10:52:55 PM by davegr » Logged
jagga303

« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2016, 11:34:48 PM »

Funny that. Their new sim only offers all include limited number 08 numbers included according to price.
I have been told via letter that my price plan will be increasing by £3 per month as its unlimited data plan which they no longer offer, also I will have unlimited 08 numbers included in my plan.
i_luv_free_calls
AQ

« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2016, 04:55:59 AM »

I am also aware of a couple of cases where Virgin suspended the lines for calling 08 numbers, including landlines.
androidfan

« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2016, 10:32:53 PM »

They seem to be quite pro-active in closing down sims. Some of the services being used by my customers are geniune services but they are closing them down regardless...its very frustrating.
androidfan

« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2016, 10:33:55 PM »

how many mins were being used on the landline before they closed it?
i_luv_free_calls
AQ

« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2016, 10:37:50 PM »

how many mins were being used on the landline before they closed it?

I know someone who was doing ridiculous amount of minutes i.e. in excess of 15000 minutes per month  Grin and got his lines disconnected.

For mobile, I was shocked to hear from one of my mate today that he got blocked by Virgin too. He bought his sim just two weeks ago and had hardly used 300 minutes out of his 1000 minutes of 08 calls allowances.
davegr
Administrator

« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2016, 10:53:38 PM »

I know someone who was doing ridiculous amount of minutes i.e. in excess of 15000 minutes per month  Grin and got his lines disconnected.

For mobile, I was shocked to hear from one of my mate today that he got blocked by Virgin too. He bought his sim just two weeks ago and had hardly used 300 minutes out of his 1000 minutes of 08 calls allowances.

I'm wondering what would happen if somebody were to file a formal complaint (and take it to the Ombudsman if need be). Surely there is no defence for a network offering a number of minutes and then terminating your service if you try to actually use them?!

In fact, it might not even be legal.
i_luv_free_calls
AQ

« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2016, 10:56:50 PM »

I'm wondering what would happen if somebody were to file a formal complaint (and take it to the Ombudsman if need be). Surely there is no defence for a network offering a number of minutes and then terminating your service if you try to actually use them?!

Yes that's what I advised him to do if they don't reactivate his account. I'm not sure if he would wish to go that far but I will try and push him to do that. Its just ridiculous, he got blocked for using around 300 minutes of 08 calls.
androidfan

« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2016, 11:00:47 PM »

Its getting absolutely ridiculous and when you talk to Virgin customer services or their fraud department, they are not willing to listen. Ive also had customers who have been disconnected when they took a new sim and they have only used a few hundred mins.

It seems that either they are intent on closing down all sims that use 08 numbers....but then why advertise 5000 mins to 08 numbers on the website?

Davegr - i agree with you regarding the legal aspect. In fact, im going to get all my customers to complain and take it to the ombudsman
androidfan

« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2016, 11:02:21 PM »

I know someone who was doing ridiculous amount of minutes i.e. in excess of 15000 minutes per month  Grin and got his lines disconnected.

15k is very excessive so i understand why virgin closed that
davegr
Administrator

« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2016, 11:06:08 PM »

.but then why advertise 5000 mins to 08 numbers on the website?

They basically want customers who use very little resources to increase their profits. They are probably banking on the majority of customers being attracted by the 5000 minutes but then using very few of them. I'd say Virgin marketing are either idiots, or dishonest. Possibly both!
davegr
Administrator

« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2016, 11:06:58 PM »

15k is very excessive so i understand why virgin closed that

It's not that excessive really... unlimited is a very large number! Cheesy
androidfan

« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2016, 11:09:49 PM »

They basically want customers who use very little resources to increase their profits. They are probably banking on the majority of customers being attracted by the 5000 minutes but then using very few of them. I'd say Virgin marketing are either idiots, or dishonest. Possibly both!

True! its not very clever. But my theory is that they have probably reached a tipping point in terms of paying out on 08 numbers and they have been given strict targets to remove customers from the network who go over x amount of mins....and this seems to have started a week ago
davegr
Administrator

« Reply #14 on: June 14, 2016, 11:11:48 PM »

True! its not very clever. But my theory is that they have probably reached a tipping point in terms of paying out on 08 numbers and they have been given strict targets to remove customers from the network who go over x amount of mins....and this seems to have started a week ago

Then we should see another "refresh" of the tariffs any day now where they revise the 08 allowances to something sensible, otherwise if they are advertising 1000-5000 minutes depending on the monthly price, they should be forced using legal means to actually provide them.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: