Fone Forum
March 19, 2024, 10:20:25 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Fone Forum is pleased to welcome its valued guests and members.  We hope you will all enjoy your time with us, and find us a happy community of shared interests - who pool our knowledge, so that we can all come away better informed.  Wink  Cheesy  Grin

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Virgin mobile sim only  (Read 85557 times)
delaro
Global Moderator

« Reply #60 on: August 19, 2016, 08:43:32 PM »

Comply? In what way?

The call charges will comply with Ofcom's 'unbundled tariff' call charge system or the calls will be inclusive in allowances and the Service Charge funded from other revenues.

All 084, 087, 09 and 118 numbers are potentially revenue sharing. Once the call-forwarding costs have been covered, anything remaining from the Service Charge could potentially be paid out.

AFAIK It is now illegal to provide an 084 or 087  number for a customer service line.

From 13th June 2014, it became a legal requirement that businesses provide a standard rate number (i.e. 01, 02 or 03) for their customer service lines.

dlR

Ian012

« Reply #61 on: August 19, 2016, 08:48:15 PM »

AFAIK It is now illegal to provide an 084 or 087  number for a customer service line.

From 13th June 2014, it became a legal requirement that businesses provide a standard rate number (i.e. 01, 02 or 03) for their customer service lines.

Yes. That's the essential meaning of Regulation 41 of the Consumer Contracts Regulations 2013.

Those regulations came from BIS. They have nothing to do with Ofcom.
delaro
Global Moderator

« Reply #62 on: August 19, 2016, 09:02:34 PM »

Yes. That's the essential meaning of Regulation 41 of the Consumer Contracts Regulations 2013.

Those regulations came from BIS. They have nothing to do with Ofcom.

Fair enough.

Effectively numbers may not be complaint with current regs.

dlR

davegr
Administrator

« Reply #63 on: August 19, 2016, 10:04:47 PM »

Fair enough.

Effectively numbers may not be complaint with current regs.

dlR

As ever the devil is in the details. They are allowed to keep those numbers running but they must not advertise them to existing customers. They are allowed to use them for new customers though.

I'm not sure what the deal is when you make an order with a company online but then need to call them for some reason. For example I placed an order with E2Save today, thus making me a customer. I then had to call about that order but their web site only had an 0871 number! In fact, since I have had several contracts through them before, I was already a customer. Where is my 01/02/03 number to call them on I wonder!
Ian012

« Reply #64 on: August 20, 2016, 12:28:45 AM »

As ever the devil is in the details. They are allowed to keep those numbers running but they must not advertise them to existing customers. They are allowed to use them for new customers though.

I'm not sure what the deal is when you make an order with a company online but then need to call them for some reason. For example I placed an order with E2Save today, thus making me a customer. I then had to call about that order but their web site only had an 0871 number! In fact, since I have had several contracts through them before, I was already a customer. Where is my 01/02/03 number to call them on I wonder!

As soon as you have placed the order, Regulation 41 applies. Do use Regulation 41(2) to claim back the call costs.

Additionally, if the 0871 number did not have the call costs immediately alongside feel free to report that to ASA.
delaro
Global Moderator

« Reply #65 on: August 20, 2016, 06:57:33 AM »

As soon as you have placed the order, Regulation 41 applies. Do use Regulation 41(2) to claim back the call costs.

How would one pursue this and what's the time-frame??

dlR

Edit by dlR

Quick Google search funds some answers

http://www.saynoto0870.com/cgi-bin/forum/YaBB.cgi?num=1448105434/3
http://www.phonepayplus.org.uk/for-business/code-of-practice/code-compliance-updates/effect-of-changes-in-consumer-law-on-the-use-of-premium-rate-numbers

« Last Edit: August 20, 2016, 07:02:14 AM by delaro » Logged

davegr
Administrator

« Reply #66 on: August 20, 2016, 02:31:48 PM »

Additionally, if the 0871 number did not have the call costs immediately alongside feel free to report that to ASA.

Further examination of the website reveals an 01509 customer service number, however it is not very prominent at all. I'd say they are trying to bend the rules ever so slightly!
Ian012

« Reply #67 on: August 20, 2016, 03:24:20 PM »

Further examination of the website reveals an 01509 customer service number, however it is not very prominent at all. I'd say they are trying to bend the rules ever so slightly!

Guidance from BIS says that where multiple telephone numbers are promoted any compliant numbers must be promoted no less prominently than ones that are not.

If they are bending the rules, this can be reported to the Consumer Helpline on 0345 404 0506. They have already tricked you into calling the premium number. You appear to have a case.
davegr
Administrator

« Reply #68 on: August 24, 2016, 09:04:40 PM »

Or what about "Customers must not use the service for predominantly outgoing calls. Customers who do not receive a volume of incoming calls expected from good faith person to person usage will be suspended".

Not quite the same thing but I found this in the Pebble (national roaming sim) terms and conditions:

Your usage of the services is generally expected to be a fair balance between free incoming calls
and text messages and chargeable outgoing calls, text messages (and data usage where applicable). Excessive volume or duration of free
incoming calls and/or text messages (generally where your use of the free services exceeds 75% of your total usage), but determined at
Pebble’s discretion, acting reasonably, will constitute abuse.
Ian012

« Reply #69 on: August 24, 2016, 11:50:24 PM »

Excessive volume or duration of free incoming calls and/or text messages (generally where your use of the free services exceeds 75% of your total usage), but determined at Pebble’s discretion, acting reasonably, will constitute abuse.

...but they receive a termination fee from the caller's or sender's phone provider when there's an incoming call or text.

They are still making money from those calls and texts.

« Last Edit: August 25, 2016, 08:46:45 AM by Ian012 » Logged
delaro
Global Moderator

« Reply #70 on: August 25, 2016, 07:58:48 AM »

Not quite the same thing but I found this in the Pebble (national roaming sim) terms and conditions:

Your usage of the services is generally expected to be a fair balance between free incoming calls
and text messages and chargeable outgoing calls, text messages (and data usage where applicable). Excessive volume or duration of free
incoming calls and/or text messages (generally where your use of the free services exceeds 75% of your total usage), but determined at
Pebble’s discretion, acting reasonably, will constitute abuse.

Could we please have the source to support this

Thanks

dlR

davegr
Administrator

« Reply #71 on: August 25, 2016, 11:28:12 AM »

Could we please have the source to support this

Thanks

dlR

https://pebblenetwork.ltd.uk/terms.pdf
androidfan

« Reply #72 on: September 04, 2016, 04:16:13 PM »

Now I'm not a daily star reader (this came up in my news feed) but virgin media seem to be making a lot of customers angry.

http://www.dailystar.co.uk/tech/news/543103/Virgin-Media-price-rise-October-who-affected

The interesting bit is that they will allow customers to cancel within 30 days of the announcement with no penalty charges
BJ

« Reply #73 on: September 10, 2016, 07:28:59 PM »

Now I'm not a daily star reader (this came up in my news feed) but virgin media seem to be making a lot of customers angry.

http://www.dailystar.co.uk/tech/news/543103/Virgin-Media-price-rise-October-who-affected

The interesting bit is that they will allow customers to cancel within 30 days of the announcement with no penalty charges

All Landline, Mobile. and Broadband suppliers have  to give you 30 days to leave without penalty  if they increase your fixed contract prices from late Jan 2014.

However some Mobile Companies got around it by introducing a RPI clause in new contracts. Which allows them to increase costs by the rise of the Retail Price Index each year. To get out of these type of contracts is difficult, you normally have to prove the changes places you at a significant disadvantage.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: