Fone Forum
March 29, 2024, 10:21:04 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Fone Forum is pleased to welcome its valued guests and members.  We hope you will all enjoy your time with us, and find us a happy community of shared interests - who pool our knowledge, so that we can all come away better informed.  Wink  Cheesy  Grin

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Virgin mobile sim only  (Read 85722 times)
DaveKnell

« Reply #45 on: August 04, 2016, 02:16:05 PM »

Virgin's advertising material says:
"08 numbers: Use these additional minutes to call any number that begins with 08 without using up your regular UK minutes. Calls to 080 are always free."

As this is neither honest nor truthful (you can't call any number starting 08, as they've barred access to a bunch of them) I've submitted a complaint to the ASA.
davegr
Administrator

« Reply #46 on: August 04, 2016, 05:10:49 PM »

Interesting. He appears to have joined the Virgin group straight from school in August 2011. He didn't join in a basic role such as a call centre but rather having a specific job title and responsibilities. He then seems to have gone up through the ranks rather quickly to his current role which he has only held for 4 months.

Two observations I can make are 1) Yes it does seem that his appointment to the role is what has brought the recent trouble and 2) he definitely knows or is related to somebody in a high up position at Virgin.

androidfan

« Reply #47 on: August 08, 2016, 05:21:55 PM »

Virgin's advertising material says:
"08 numbers: Use these additional minutes to call any number that begins with 08 without using up your regular UK minutes. Calls to 080 are always free."

As this is neither honest nor truthful (you can't call any number starting 08, as they've barred access to a bunch of them) I've submitted a complaint to the ASA.

Looks like Virgin have made some interesting changes to their terms and conditions. Its definitely worth a read....

http://www.virginmedia.com/shop/the-legal-stuff/acceptable-use-policy/mobile-acceptable-usage-policy-and-tandc-rtc.html

davegr
Administrator

« Reply #48 on: August 08, 2016, 09:47:58 PM »

This appears to be the interesting bit:

Virgin Media’s mobile services (“our services”) are for private, personal and legitimate consumer use only, and are not for business or commercial use. As such, you must not use our services in any way that is not in keeping with that reasonably expected of a private individual.

Uses of our services for the following activities will constitute a breach of our Acceptable Use Policy as these uses are not in keeping with that reasonably expected of a private individual:
Use for calling “cash back” or “cash for calling” numbers (ie where you are paid, in monetary or other terms (e.g. by receiving gift vouchers, credits for goods or services, or anything similar) by the provider for calling that number is not an acceptable use of our services;
Use predominantly for calling 087 or 084 numbers;
Use predominantly for calling international calling card numbers;
Use predominantly for calling conference call facilities;
Any other calls that result in a calling pattern or patterns that are disproportionate to the overall type, amount, duration and/or extent of calls which would be expected from good faith usage of our Network or Services (also referred to as “artificially inflated traffic”);
The sending of high volumes of SMS messages or sending SMS messages to very large number of recipients or distribution groups or the sending of automated or unsolicited SMS messages (“spam”).
L2M

« Reply #49 on: August 09, 2016, 02:39:03 PM »

Will these terms & conditions take effect from the 15th of September or can they be back dated to an earlier date?
davegr
Administrator

« Reply #50 on: August 11, 2016, 09:02:08 PM »

They are already enforcing some elements of these new T&C's.
delaro
Global Moderator

« Reply #51 on: August 12, 2016, 09:53:12 AM »

They are already enforcing some elements of these new T&C's.

Thought they would...

dlR

jahirbalam

« Reply #52 on: August 13, 2016, 12:47:48 AM »

Good Morning everybody,

Just got a virgin SIM with 2500 mins UK regular minutes and 2500 minutes 08 numbers. "Use predominantly for calling 087 or 084 numbers" what does it mean? Does it mean that I can not call more 08 numbers than regular numbers? what will happen if I call more 08 numbers? They will simply cancel the contract? Got this SIM few days back but haven't use 08 yet.... i am scared!
delaro
Global Moderator

« Reply #53 on: August 18, 2016, 03:40:40 AM »

Good Morning everybody,

Just got a virgin SIM with 2500 mins UK regular minutes and 2500 minutes 08 numbers. "Use predominantly for calling 087 or 084 numbers" what does it mean? Does it mean that I can not call more 08 numbers than regular numbers? what will happen if I call more 08 numbers? They will simply cancel the contract? Got this SIM few days back but haven't use 08 yet.... i am scared!

Are you doing something illegal with your Sim or simply concerned you might be breaching Virgin's new TCs?

If it's the first one, yes.. Virgin could cancel your contract and inform the authorities..
If it's the second one, yes.. Virgin could cancel your contract.

Either way Virgin will try to get out of those contacts... New TCs is just one of the exits they'll try to use.

I bet there are members on this forum with dozens of active Virgin sims in their hands...

BTW. "Predominantly" is very vague and not very precise term,  isn't it??

dlR
« Last Edit: August 18, 2016, 03:46:24 AM by delaro » Logged

jahirbalam

« Reply #54 on: August 18, 2016, 08:47:21 AM »

Are you doing something illegal with your Sim or simply concerned you might be breaching Virgin's new TCs?

If it's the first one, yes.. Virgin could cancel your contract and inform the authorities..
If it's the second one, yes.. Virgin could cancel your contract.

Either way Virgin will try to get out of those contacts... New TCs is just one of the exits they'll try to use.

I bet there are members on this forum with dozens of active Virgin sims in their hands...

BTW. "Predominantly" is very vague and not very precise term,  isn't it??

dlR

Just using regular 08 numbers; more specifically calling abroad using 087 access number. Genuine call; not just for revenue. I have 2500 mins of 08 numbers and 2500 mins of normal number. My question: can i use these 2500 mins of 08 numbers to call forwarding 087 numbers? For instance if i use 1200 mins for 08 numbers and 1000 mins for regular UK numbers..... will it be considered as "Use predominantly for calling 087 or 084 numbers"? I don't want my contract to be cancelled by operator! THANKS for your help.   
davegr
Administrator

« Reply #55 on: August 18, 2016, 09:54:17 AM »

The simple answer is that nobody knows. As delaro pointed out, "predominantly" isn't the most precise of words and even if it was, network operators are known to overstep.

I wonder if these new T&C's are even legal. 084 and 087 numbers exist solely for the purpose of revenue share.

I wonder how other things would be viewed by Ofcom e.g if Virgin realised they get a lot of long calls to British Gas (for example) so decide to put in their T&C's "Customers may not call numbers belonging to British Gas".

Or what about "Customers must not use the service for predominantly outgoing calls. Customers who do not receive a volume of incoming calls expected from good faith person to person usage will be suspended".

At the end of the day, if they feel that the 08 number offering is being abused then they shouldn't offer so many!
Ian012

« Reply #56 on: August 18, 2016, 09:20:36 PM »

It would be interesting to see what would happen should someone make a whole load of calls to genuine 0845 and 0870 numbers belonging to banks, insurers, telecoms companies, energy companies, etc. Although these organisations have mainly moved to 03 numbers, very many of them have left their old 0845 and 0870 numbers operational.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2016, 08:21:39 PM by Ian012 » Logged
delaro
Global Moderator

« Reply #57 on: August 19, 2016, 07:25:38 AM »

It would be interesting to see what would happen should someone make a whole load of calls to genuine 0845 and 0870 numbers belonging to banks, insurers, telecoms companies, energy.companies, etc. Although these organisations have mainly moved to 03 numbers, very many of them have left their old 0845 and 0870 numbers operational.

Not sure if any of these old numbers complies with recent Ofcom changes thou...

dlR

L2M

« Reply #58 on: August 19, 2016, 08:05:10 AM »

Most revenue sharing numbers are relatively easily identifiable by the Telcos. The traffics by callers are not so difficult to mark up either. Just hope that Virgin apply temprate discretion along the line!
Ian012

« Reply #59 on: August 19, 2016, 08:25:38 PM »

Not sure if any of these old numbers complies with recent Ofcom changes thou...

Comply? In what way?

The call charges will comply with Ofcom's 'unbundled tariff' call charge system or the calls will be inclusive in allowances and the Service Charge funded from other revenues.

Most revenue sharing numbers are relatively easily identifiable by the Telcos. The traffics by callers are not so difficult to mark up either. Just hope that Virgin apply temprate discretion along the line!

All 084, 087, 09 and 118 numbers are potentially revenue sharing. Once the call-forwarding costs have been covered, anything remaining from the Service Charge could potentially be paid out.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2016, 08:33:04 PM by Ian012 » Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: