Fone Forum
March 28, 2024, 01:04:49 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Fone Forum is pleased to welcome its valued guests and members.  We hope you will all enjoy your time with us, and find us a happy community of shared interests - who pool our knowledge, so that we can all come away better informed.  Wink  Cheesy  Grin

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Current best cashback mobile contract deals  (Read 16385 times)
A1ia5

« on: October 04, 2008, 09:00:28 PM »

First post here and it is good to see that FoneForum is thriving and most importantly has excellent quality of information and moderation !  I've been reading and monitoring for a while, so think that my previous sentence is duly justified.  Well done MH !

Well the time is coming for me to look for good deals on a mobile contract front.  Currently I only have cash back contracts with CPW or their affilliates or manage to reduce the price of a contract through cash back websites (QuidCo et al) and RaF kick backs. 

A deal that has piqued my interest is the Vodaphone SIM only 30 day rolling contract with £90 QuidCo cash back.  QuidCo states Voda do not pay out for their £10 tariffs and you need to keep the contract going for 4 months before the purchase will be validated.  So if I was to go for a £15 a month tariff and keep it for 5 months, I could potentially get those 5 months free and make £15.  I am just wondering if anyone has tried this and what their experience has been ?

I am very wary that the economic climate is drastically changing and cash back deals can only become harder, when there is less business.  Further, I think it would be shrewd to stay with the larger, more reliable, providers.  Basically, I don't think that leaves many.  I have concerns about some of the larger providers, as there has been reports over the past 6 months / year of there being troubles.  If anything does happen, it will most certainly happen very quickly and will leave anyone with cash back deals via redemption or otherwise, potentially stranded.  This is why I am thinking more toward the shorter term deals, as in that way it is a risk mitigation.

Any one care to comment on what they see as currently being good deals ?  Also, anyone care to say any deals or providers of cash back deals to avoid at the moment or near future ?

Cheers in advance...

We hope you will all enjoy your time with us, and find us a happy community of shared interests - who pool our knowledge, so that we can all come away better informed.
Dave
Global Moderator

« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2008, 08:00:07 AM »

Hi A1ia5, and welcome to our forum.    Smiley

mh does not look in here on a Sunday, but I know a little bit about the interesting history between the two of you, and I can confidently forecast that he will enjoy replying to your welcome first post some time tomorrow.    Shocked

I also know that mh has taken advantage of cashback deals for a good number of years now, so I am looking forward to reading the dialogue between the two of you on this subject.  It should make fascinating reading!    Cheesy

Now that you have 'crossed the threshold', please feel free to contribute regularly here.  Thank you for your kind words about our standards of information and moderation.    Smiley

« Last Edit: October 05, 2008, 08:02:41 AM by Dave » Logged

Valued guests are cordially invited to join.  Registration is quick & easy, & only needs an email address.  You can then benefit from contributing to our forum, & being able to use our PM system.

If you do not do so, but wish to make contact, you may email:-  theadminteam.foneforum@gmail.com
mobaholic
Administrator

« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2008, 02:14:40 PM »

My own experience of cashback deals has been a series of such deals with Carphonewarehouse and their e2save offshoot.

The former are much more user friendly than the latter, though I have managed to win some appeals at e2save by means of going through their procedures of emailing Charles Dunstone's office.        Wink

The one thing that I would say is that although 100% cashback deals seem to have practically disappeared, this is NOT so if you are with CPW ( or one of its offshoots ) and go through their retentions department.        Wink

One trick that I have found useful is to disregard emails and texts from e2save, offering me new deals, and to 'phone CPW O2 directly to be put through to their retentions department.  By this means I have successfully replaced one 'dodgy' ( awkward ) e2save cashback deal with a much more friendly CPW one for the following year.        Wink

I have now had a series of such deals from these sources, and so far I have never lost one penny from them.        Smiley

I read about your alternative cashback deals like quidco with interest, but I personally decline to use them.  Many charge you a fee or % for their services, and others require the use of a PayPal account - which I have found should be avoided at all costs.        Shocked

Others may have differing experiences, of course.         Undecided

Valued guests are cordially invited to join.  Registration is quick & easy, & only needs an email address.  You can then benefit from contributing to our forum, & being able to use our PM system.

If you do not do so, but wish to make contact, you may email:-  theadminteam.foneforum@gmail.com
A1ia5

« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2008, 02:49:34 AM »

Thanks for the replies Dave and MH !

@MH Seems we have been doing similar things !  I agree entirely with your experience !  CPW direct are a much better bunch to deal with !

I've just began to wonder a couple of things...

* I've just had a Virgin contract from CPW - free for 6 months - pass the 6 month mark.  Now what I have done before is to request that this be changed to PAYG.  Do you think it would be worth calling CPW and asking if they can do a retention deal on this ?  I am presently of the thinking that it is only CPW O2 that can do retention deals, but maybe not so...

* When renewing a CPW O2 retention deal, would it be worth asking if they could do another (new) contract at the same time on the same/similar/whatever (very high % cash back) deal ?  Now this would be good !

I may give the QuidCo and Voda a try.  My view is so long as the order tracks on there and I keep within their hoops, then it should pay off.  I've got 14 days cooling to see the order tracking on QuidCo.  QuidCo cust serv is generally pretty good, but there is a limit to what they can do.

My recent experience with three, has proved that three are complete and utter m0r0ns.  As I bought the first contract from the local three shop, some time soon they are going to get one very alienated, loudmouthed and pugnacious customer visit them at prime time.  If it could go wrong it did and I will find out what they can do to make it better (or just get rid of me !).  The recommend a friend paid off, but the QuidCo cashback didn't.  And I feel that this was due to them changing the contract from 18 months to 6, when as far as I was concerned, I was buying a 6 month contract.  Still, I also got a free £20 accessory voucher, which was supposed to be valid for only 90 days.  Well they work after the 90 day period.  Maybe they will work more than once too...  So overall not too bad and I get the keep the Nokia 6120 afterwards, and it is quite a nice phone - and has HSDPA capability too...

We hope you will all enjoy your time with us, and find us a happy community of shared interests - who pool our knowledge, so that we can all come away better informed.
mobaholic
Administrator

« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2008, 11:00:35 AM »

Thanks for the replies Dave and MH !

@MH Seems we have been doing similar things !  I agree entirely with your experience !  CPW direct are a much better bunch to deal with !

I've just began to wonder a couple of things...

* I've just had a Virgin contract from CPW - free for 6 months - pass the 6 month mark.  Now what I have done before is to request that this be changed to PAYG.  Do you think it would be worth calling CPW and asking if they can do a retention deal on this ?  I am presently of the thinking that it is only CPW O2 that can do retention deals, but maybe not so...

* When renewing a CPW O2 retention deal, would it be worth asking if they could do another (new) contract at the same time on the same/similar/whatever (very high % cash back) deal ?  Now this would be good !

I may give the QuidCo and Voda a try.  My view is so long as the order tracks on there and I keep within their hoops, then it should pay off.  I've got 14 days cooling to see the order tracking on QuidCo.  QuidCo cust serv is generally pretty good, but there is a limit to what they can do.

My recent experience with three, has proved that three are complete and utter m0r0ns.  As I bought the first contract from the local three shop, some time soon they are going to get one very alienated, loudmouthed and pugnacious customer visit them at prime time.  If it could go wrong it did and I will find out what they can do to make it better (or just get rid of me !).  The recommend a friend paid off, but the QuidCo cashback didn't.  And I feel that this was due to them changing the contract from 18 months to 6, when as far as I was concerned, I was buying a 6 month contract.  Still, I also got a free £20 accessory voucher, which was supposed to be valid for only 90 days.  Well they work after the 90 day period.  Maybe they will work more than once too...  So overall not too bad and I get the keep the Nokia 6120 afterwards, and it is quite a nice phone - and has HSDPA capability too...

With regards to a Virgin deal I just don't know.  Like you I suspect its only their O2 department which have retention deals, but it wouldn't hurt to call and enquire.  When my Virgin contract ended, I asked for a PAC and transferred the number to a '3' pre-pay SIM.  This gained me a free £10 credit, which gave me two months' of internet access ( 2GB for £5 lasting for 30 days ).

Retentions are about extending a contract, keeping the same number and handset, as far as I know.  A new deal, that was similar or identical, would still be a new deal, not a retention, wouldn't it ?

I looked into getting a 6 month contract with 6120 myself, but I was told that the 'Recommend a Friend' scheme did NOT apply to 6 month deals.  This was confirmed by the '3' local shop, and by the website software which blanks out 6 month options once you have included the friend's details.  I am therefore quite surprised by your claim to have got it to work. Explain how please.

I agree that the HSDPA capability makes the 6120 a very nice mobile, but if you, or anyone else, wants another one you need to get a move on, as it's being phased out.  It has been unavailable in '3' shops for about 3 or 4 months now, and the '3' website is now the only means through which one can be ordered.  It is no longer available on a 6 month deal, only on pay & go.  It costs £99-99 with a £10 TopUp included.        Wink

« Last Edit: October 07, 2008, 11:31:19 AM by mobaholic » Logged

A1ia5

« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2008, 09:02:26 AM »

CPW don't do retention deals on Virgin.

Virgin will do some offers - so far best I have been offered is same deal as i currently have 300mins + 300sms for £15 a month on a monthly rolling contract, sim only, and they will give me 2 months free, by credit to the account.  However, if I take this out I will lose the mins and sms I currently have on the phone, so best this to do is use them all up, negotiate the best deal and ask for change over at the refresh date.  This is what I hope to be doing, but I want to see how much I can get out of them.  I have been slowly building up contacts in Virgin and discovered that it is at the discretion of the individual in what they are prepared to offer you.  An example of this is canceling the contract before the monthly refresh date.  I was told some people would provide a pro-rata refund and some other people would not.  As I tend to be nocturnal and Virgin CS are 24/7, a call at 3/4am may well pay dividends...

For CPW O2 retention deals see :

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?t=412853&page=33

From this is looks like 18 month + contracts are the norm, 100% cash backs are very hard to get.  Nevertheless, if you enumerate everything they could possibly give and keep on asking, there may well become a sweet spot...  I've had the calls from the CPW retentions Warrington no (01925 555601), but I am going to leave it till closer to the end to start negotiating.  Sadly, leisure contracts are no longer offered !  I have only found T-Mobile to be doing off-peak stuff now, but then I haven't really looked that much.  But I will miss my 1500 off peak xnet mins...  I could always let the contract run, but paying for a tariff, when I can get it subsidized - nope cant do that.

If anyone has the latest info on what CPW O2 can do for retentions, then I'm sure many people would be interested...

mobaholic
Administrator

« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2008, 09:59:39 AM »

Fairly recently my e2save O2 contract of 400 mins. + 500 SMS ( £35 per month free by cashback ) was ending, and they sent me a number of texts inviting me to call 0800 numbers to get a new deal.  I ignored all of these, as I had found e2save a tricky group with which to deal when it came to cashback arrangements.        Huh

What I did instead was to call CPW O2 C/S. instead, and ask to be put through to their retentions department.  I explained that I was looking for a full cashback deal, and they had several to offer me.  Most were 18 month contracts, which I personally avoid, but they offered me a 12 month contract of 600 + 500 for £40 per month, with £160 cashback every 4 months.  I took that deal.        Smiley  Wink

« Last Edit: October 24, 2008, 10:30:51 AM by mobaholic » Logged

A1ia5

« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2008, 10:13:50 AM »

Fairly recently my e2save O2 contract of 400 mins. + 500 SMS ( £35 per month free by cashback ) was ending, and they sent me numbers texts inviting me to call 0800 numbers to get a new deal.  I ignored all of these, as I had found e2save a tricky group with which to deal when it came to cashback arrangements.        Huh

What I did instead was to call CPW O2 C/S. instead, and ask to be put through to their retentions department.  I explained that I was looking for a full cashback deal, and they had several to offer me.  Most were 18 month contracts, which I personally avoid, but they offered me a 12 month contract of 600 + 500 for £40 per month, with £160 cashback every 4 months.  I took that deal.        Smiley  Wink

Thanks MH - this is good to know.  Like you I had a E2S deal and renewed with CPW as they are better to deal with (although at the time I did it I didn't know that !)

What I find interesting is on the bills they send out it includes a code that they request you quote.  If you look at this I believe it includes a monthly price they want to get you on.  From my current experience it appears that every renewal period it increases by £5.  So it may be shrewd not to mention this code, until you feel it may offer you an advantage.  Wonder what your experience has been ?

mobaholic
Administrator

« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2008, 10:28:22 AM »

Thanks MH - this is good to know.  Like you I had a E2S deal and renewed with CPW as they are better to deal with (although at the time I did it I didn't know that !)

What I find interesting is on the bills they send out it includes a code that they request you quote.  If you look at this I believe it includes a monthly price they want to get you on.  From my current experience it appears that every renewal period it increases by £5.  So it may be shrewd not to mention this code, until you feel it may offer you an advantage.  Wonder what your experience has been ?

Can't help you much there, as I said nothing to CPW about having any code.  I am not even sure that I was aware of having one anyway !        Grin

I think the £5 rise is a CPW policy across all their groups, and I suspect that the code means nowt in practice.        Wink

A1ia5

« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2008, 03:02:30 PM »

CPW don't do retention deals on Virgin.

Virgin will do some offers - so far best I have been offered is same deal as i currently have 300mins + 300sms for £15 a month on a monthly rolling contract, sim only, and they will give me 2 months free, by credit to the account.  However, if I take this out I will lose the mins and sms I currently have on the phone, so best this to do is use them all up, negotiate the best deal and ask for change over at the refresh date.  This is what I hope to be doing, but I want to see how much I can get out of them.  I have been slowly building up contacts in Virgin and discovered that it is at the discretion of the individual in what they are prepared to offer you.  An example of this is canceling the contract before the monthly refresh date.  I was told some people would provide a pro-rata refund and some other people would not.  As I tend to be nocturnal and Virgin CS are 24/7, a call at 3/4am may well pay dividends...

For CPW O2 retention deals see :

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?t=412853&page=33

From this is looks like 18 month + contracts are the norm, 100% cash backs are very hard to get.  Nevertheless, if you enumerate everything they could possibly give and keep on asking, there may well become a sweet spot...  I've had the calls from the CPW retentions Warrington no (01925 555601), but I am going to leave it till closer to the end to start negotiating.  Sadly, leisure contracts are no longer offered !  I have only found T-Mobile to be doing off-peak stuff now, but then I haven't really looked that much.  But I will miss my 1500 off peak xnet mins...  I could always let the contract run, but paying for a tariff, when I can get it subsidized - nope cant do that.

If anyone has the latest info on what CPW O2 can do for retentions, then I'm sure many people would be interested...

On getting a retention deal with Virgin, seems I had a fair result.  I called back the other day to discuss what they could offer again.  They had on file the last offer and details of it - 2 months credit free.  As I wasn't that bothered about losing this, I said if they do 3 months free then I would go for it.  I was expecting to have have a bit of negotiation and then an outcome, but no, it was agreed to straight away.  Damn, I thought, there was potentially more leeway in there, and I should have gone for 4 or more months.

Anyway, 3 months credit free on a 30 day rolling contract cant be bad.  And, as I discussed on the phone, if I want to cancel/change to PAYG at the 3 month point, there is nothing to stop me from doing that.

I think some useful advice on retention deals are :

* Find out what other people are being offered - MSE has several threads on retention deals
* Dont leave it right till the end to discuss possibilities, do this fairly early on, but dont accept anything.  It is known that Three offer the best deals on the final day.  Over the course of your final month you can ramp up your requests and be prepared to accept non-financial offers - ie a heavily discounted price on a nice phone, free or low-price mobile bradband, 100 free PAYG SIMs - the idea is make a list of things that may be useful to you and use these or a combination of things to get the deal that is sweet for you.
* Always ask for confirmation of the deal in writing - it seems to be hard to get this out of CPW O2, but there are ways of doing it - In my own experience I managed to get a hastily put together email, but it had the right things in it and I send a copy of that in with my cashback requests
* If you request conversion to PAYG, this can always be changed before the end of your contract.  Doing this will send out the message that you mean business - but make sure it is revertible
* For any info you need to know, which doesnt involve the necessity to identify yourself, call from a different line and withold your CLID.  This way you can do reconnaissance without having the communication potentially being put on your file with the mobile provider.

And there are probably more things to. 

I think it may be a good idea to have threads on retention deals here ? 

mobaholic
Administrator

« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2008, 03:15:01 PM »

Thanks for your further feedback and comments A1ia5.        Smiley

With regards to your final suggestion, I am not opposed to having a thread ( or even a daughter board ) for such a subject - were there to be sufficient interest in it.        Wink

However, I sometimes feel that it is only you and I who seem to go in for such deals, and until I see concrete evidence of more widespread interest being shown, and more members posting their experiences or questions, I don't want to start something which may have little life in it.        Roll Eyes

So I guess I'm saying: "the jury is out on this one", - for the time being.  OK ?        Undecided

« Last Edit: November 01, 2008, 03:23:26 PM by mobaholic » Logged

Graham

« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2008, 12:39:12 AM »

Come along now, MH...you must know that I go in for these kind of deals as well! Grin...
mobaholic
Administrator

« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2008, 07:36:33 AM »

Come along now, MH...you must know that I go in for these kind of deals as well! Grin...

LOL I know that well enough Graham, but I had in mind the members whom I have actually seen on the forum for the last two months!        Shocked

There seemed little point in mentioning absent friends.        Grin

« Last Edit: November 18, 2008, 10:30:35 AM by mobaholic » Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: