Fone Forum
April 25, 2024, 11:44:42 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Fone Forum is pleased to welcome its valued guests and members.  We hope you will all enjoy your time with us, and find us a happy community of shared interests - who pool our knowledge, so that we can all come away better informed.  Wink  Cheesy  Grin

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Mobaholic  (Read 11202 times)
Mikael
Administrator

« on: October 30, 2008, 04:14:42 PM »

Just to let everyone know, Mobaholic has been having troubles recently getting access to these forums. He regularly accessed them via his Library, but it seems they have updated their computers with overzealous web control software. It seems that these forums are being blocked for him. Hopefully this issue be resolved soon. In the meanwhile anyone needing advice from him, should send him a PM with your question(s) and include your email address in it, so he can reply.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2008, 04:45:10 PM by Mikael » Logged

Valued guests are cordially invited to join.  Registration is quick & easy, & only needs an email address.  You can then benefit from contributing to our forum, & being able to use our PM system.

If you do not do so, but wish to make contact, you may email:-  theadminteam.foneforum@gmail.com
mobaholic
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2008, 10:45:04 AM »

To update the above post, my ability to login here, to navigate around the forum, to answer PM's, or to make posts, is still severely hampered by restrictive county library 'net nanny' software.  Every one of these are still blocked, initially at least. Huh

However, I am now finding that by moving backwards, and trying again, I can sometimes get through on the second or third attempt !        Shocked

This is very baffling, as well as frustrating, as I cannot assess how the software is working to evaluate a risk, nor the reason why it sometimes relents if one persists in trying.        Angry

I should like to thank friends here, Nadz in particular, who have sent me suggestion to try to help.  Their efforts on my behalf are greatly appreciated.        Smiley

Valued guests are cordially invited to join.  Registration is quick & easy, & only needs an email address.  You can then benefit from contributing to our forum, & being able to use our PM system.

If you do not do so, but wish to make contact, you may email:-  theadminteam.foneforum@gmail.com
A1ia5

« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2008, 04:08:52 AM »

If you tunnel everything via an encrypted channel you can circumvent any access control.

I did this successfully for over a year in Thailand and to overcome restrictions placed by my ISP in the UK for over a year also.

I suggest you look at ssh tunnels, proxies, TOR...

For anyone accessing the internet via public WiFi, an encrypted tunnel is what I would advise so as to circumevent any eavesdropping, which is surprisingly easy.  I would also reccomend being vigilent over the access point you are using and how genuine it is !

Use google to get specific details on how to do this.

We hope you will all enjoy your time with us, and find us a happy community of shared interests - who pool our knowledge, so that we can all come away better informed.
mobaholic
Administrator

« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2008, 10:22:39 AM »

If you tunnel everything via an encrypted channel you can circumvent any access control.

I did this successfully for over a year in Thailand and to overcome restrictions placed by my ISP in the UK for over a year also.

I suggest you look at ssh tunnels, proxies, TOR...

For anyone accessing the internet via public WiFi, an encrypted tunnel is what I would advise so as to circumevent any eavesdropping, which is surprisingly easy.  I would also reccomend being vigilent over the access point you are using and how genuine it is !

Use google to get specific details on how to do this.

Thanks for your suggestions A1ia5, but I see a few difficulties with them.        Shocked

First of all, nearly all ssh tunnels that I have encountered are subscription services, which is one problem.        Cry

More importantly, most ssh services of which I am aware are offered by proxy servers - which I can't reach from here.  ( Major problem !  Huh ).

So your advice will only be of any practical use to me if you know of a free service which I can access from a non proxy server site.        Wink

IF you do, please send me details via PM ( Don't post it here kindly Wink ).

Thank you.        Smiley

« Last Edit: November 04, 2008, 10:31:09 AM by mobaholic » Logged

A1ia5

« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2008, 01:15:48 PM »

PM about to be sent...

Unless your library operates a Whitelist - like the infamous Chinese Government and their "Great Firewall of China" (its also worth noting that a large no of usable free proxy servers are typically based or related to China!  No surprise there...)

Easiest way is probably to use The Onion Router (TOR) and go through port 80 (http) or 443 (https).  TOR technology was developed by the US Gov, I believe, and is used by many people.  Some of the media websites that report from repressive regimes have detailed guides on its use.  It is great when it is set up as you can see where your traffic is being sent, plus you have access to the secret .torrent web sites, in which you will find many undergound, extremely "dark" websites...

As you will see from the links sent - key is how you can set it up - if indeed you can do that on Library equipment.  If you need to run an app on a locked down PC there are ways to do that.  Google will have many solutions - there are some general possibilities ie use an applications open dialog to locate the exe, then double click on it.  This is a very simple solution, and there are hundreds more.  Without knowing more about the specific target and doing further research, its hard to give more advice.  Further, there are alternate solutions that require the use of some software.  Get the management to agree to your use of this.  Then, slip TOR in to this.  I would say that setting TOR up and getting it to work without prior knowledge of using it puts you on an extremely steep learning curve.  Still, if running apps is not much of an issue it is something you can try a bit each time you go.  So long as you stick to http and https ports and make sure that DNS queries go via TOR then the Library should be none the wiser.  Of course you need to be wary of observers.  Good solution here is to turn browser graphics off and really lower the brightness on the monitor.  I'll stop here.

HTH

We hope you will all enjoy your time with us, and find us a happy community of shared interests - who pool our knowledge, so that we can all come away better informed.
mobaholic
Administrator

« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2008, 03:35:54 PM »

PM about to be sent...

Unless your library operates a Whitelist - like the infamous Chinese Government and their "Great Firewall of China" (its also worth noting that a large no of usable free proxy servers are typically based or related to China!  No surprise there...)

Easiest way is probably to use The Onion Router (TOR) and go through port 80 (http) or 443 (https).  TOR technology was developed by the US Gov, I believe, and is used by many people.  Some of the media websites that report from repressive regimes have detailed guides on its use.  It is great when it is set up as you can see where your traffic is being sent, plus you have access to the secret .torrent web sites, in which you will find many undergound, extremely "dark" websites...

As you will see from the links sent - key is how you can set it up - if indeed you can do that on Library equipment.  If you need to run an app on a locked down PC there are ways to do that.  Google will have many solutions - there are some general possibilities ie use an applications open dialog to locate the exe, then double click on it.  This is a very simple solution, and there are hundreds more.  Without knowing more about the specific target and doing further research, its hard to give more advice.  Further, there are alternate solutions that require the use of some software.  Get the management to agree to your use of this.  Then, slip TOR in to this.  I would say that setting TOR up and getting it to work without prior knowledge of using it puts you on an extremely steep learning curve.  Still, if running apps is not much of an issue it is something you can try a bit each time you go.  So long as you stick to http and https ports and make sure that DNS queries go via TOR then the Library should be none the wiser.  Of course you need to be wary of observers.  Good solution here is to turn browser graphics off and really lower the brightness on the monitor.  I'll stop here.

HTH

Thanks for your comments and suggestions A1ia5.        Smiley

Unfortunately ALL of the links enclosed in your PM are blocked here; I have zero administrative right to download and install any software ( so I can't install either Tor or Firefox ); and I still can't find a single proxy site which is accessible either.        Roll Eyes

It is also impossible to access any system properties ( not even the Control Panel is accessible ), so there is no question of setting up any ports for access to anything.        Cry

BTW, just in case it amuses you, one of the things that seem blocked is my own username !  I couldn't access it because of the thread title that Mikael gave to it !   Cry  I tried for 10 minutes to open this thread to reply to you, but was blocked on every attempt.  It was only when I thought of going through the recent posts thread, and clicking on 'Reply', that I got a dialogue box to open for me.  After I had written my reply I was later able to modify it to include your quote at the head.        Shocked  But that was 15 minutes that was a sheer waste of time.        Angry

I am not familiar with your term 'Whitelist', but whatever they are using is probably more effective than the Chinese authorities employed !        Huh

« Last Edit: November 04, 2008, 04:05:22 PM by mobaholic » Logged

ash

« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2008, 02:07:35 AM »

I suppose Mikael should sponsor a small laptop with mobile broadband for you .. Grin
A1ia5

« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2008, 10:54:08 AM »

Thanks for your comments and suggestions A1ia5.        Smiley

Unfortunately ALL of the links enclosed in your PM are blocked here; I have zero administrative right to download and install any software ( so I can't install either Tor or Firefox ); and I still can't find a single proxy site which is accessible either.        Roll Eyes

It is also impossible to access any system properties ( not even the Control Panel is accessible ), so there is no question of setting up any ports for access to anything.        Cry

BTW, just in case it amuses you, one of the things that seem blocked is my own username !  I couldn't access it because of the thread title that Mikael gave to it !   Cry  I tried for 10 minutes to open this thread to reply to you, but was blocked on every attempt.  It was only when I thought of going through the recent posts thread, and clicking on 'Reply', that I got a dialogue box to open for me.  After I had written my reply I was later able to modify it to include your quote at the head.        Shocked  But that was 15 minutes that was a sheer waste of time.        Angry

I am not familiar with your term 'Whitelist', but whatever they are using is probably more effective than the Chinese authorities employed !        Huh

Whitelist is a list of whatever they allow - be it websites, ip addresses, protocols, keywords, and so on.  From your communication it does not appear to be the case. 

Conversely, a blacklist is a list of things to disallow.  Thailand operates a blacklist of sites, ip addresses etc.  China operates a whitelist.  It appears your library uses a blacklist.

Your response is no surprise.  Acquiring the tools to circumvent their access restrictions should be difficult on the target.  Typically it is difficult to get the tools and experience within the target environment.

So how could you get it to work then ?

There are some alternative ways, but you would need to know something about the network and access control software (ACS).  There is likely to be vulnerabilities in the ACS.  Good sites like http://www.milw0rm.com/ are a basis for exploration.  Another challenge you have is executing and installing the tools on the target.  There are several ways to do this in a locked down environment.  Again, your reconnaissance and web search skills will be required here.  I particularly like the fact that an exe can have its extension changed and still be executable.  For e.g foo.exe becomes foo.scr - this is the extension for screen savers and was used a lot some years ago for email based propagation of malware.  A .scr file should be executed.  Again, there are no guarantees here as your target may well have a whitelist of allowed executable images.  However, in large public usage this is unusual.  More often, there is a standard image for the workstations that is refreshed overnight.  So if you leave an important file on the hard drive and go back the following day, it may well be very difficult to get your important file back without doing some serious forensics and data recovery - Yes it is possible to get files back even the physical sectors they occupied have been written over - it is achieved by reading between the tracks.  So to make sure your files are truly irrecoverable on most forms of media it is necessary to overwrite them in excess of 30 times !!  Of course you should always consider the cost/benefit ratio.

Perhaps this could be a turning point in your internet access.  Netbooks (Small Cheap Computers - SCC) are tremendous.  Many pubs and several McDonalds now offer free WiFi.  The local Wetherspoons has WiFi and you can buy soft drinks for 15-20p a glass.  Plus there are many electrical sockets available.  With the right aerial it is surprising what WiFi access points you can pick up.

Interesting, not amusing, to note is the behavior on your username.  This demonstrates that the content is being checked for keywords.  I would suggest that an https version of the forum is made available and this will overcome the analysis and filtering of content - unless it is actually being conducted on the local workstation.  If that is the case, then it is a significant intrusion of your privacy and means the library are potentially recording details about you.  What they record of course depends on what websites you access.  As I know you are a Google mail user, I would suggest enabling the secure access option in the GMail control panel.

On a personal note, I find this a great challenge and like to see what countries and organizations do to control their people's access.

Good luck and there always is a solution...

mobaholic
Administrator

« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2008, 12:00:25 PM »

Thanks as always for your efforts A1ia5.

I tried your suggestion, but the following resulted from it:-

The site you have chosen has been categorized as: Criminal Skills
http://www.milw0rm.com/

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Please be aware that the following frequently requested items are restricted for security purposes:
Downloading of EXE files
Visiting web sites by IP number and not by name
If you feel that the site that you are visiting is valid and should be allowed, please inform your local librarian/staff member, so that the request can be evaluated.

Thank you

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: