Fone Forum
March 19, 2024, 05:37:36 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Fone Forum is pleased to welcome its valued guests and members.  We hope you will all enjoy your time with us, and find us a happy community of shared interests - who pool our knowledge, so that we can all come away better informed.  Wink  Cheesy  Grin

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Group announcement.  (Read 68685 times)
mobaholic
Administrator

« on: June 07, 2008, 11:32:03 AM »

Purely for historical reasons, I though I would place a copy of my 'Group Announcement' email that I sent to members of http://groups.google.co.uk/group/mobaholics-pre-dial-companion
on 30th May 2008, as an archive.

Hi there.

The google group called:   http://groups.google.co.uk/group/mobaholics-pre-dial-companion
was started on Friday 14th March with an initial membership of just 10.

We doubled overnight the next day to 20, which was a good start.

Since then numbers have grown at a steady trickle, and they reached 50 on Wednesday evening, which is very encouraging.
This means that we have grown five fold in just 14 days.
Thank you everyone for your help and encouragement.

The google group provided a quick and easy method to begin, but some members have expressed their disappointment with the format of the group, and its limited software capabilities, and I have some sympathy with such views.

So I am now going to make a major announcement that the group will shortly be moving to a new home.

Everything possible will be done to minimise any inconvenience caused, and members can look forward to a much different experience of the group.  We shall benefit from full forum software at our new home, including a Personal Messaging system with which many are familiar, and shall 'evolve' into a forum - just like the niftylist / telecomforum one that so many of our members already know and enjoy.

All of our present membership will be registered on the new forum, and I am hopeful that some who were previously invited to join the group will now decide to join with us.

As it will greatly lessen confusion, our members who are already on the telecomforum will be registered with the same Usernames on the new.  I shall consult with others ( the few from Joel's group for example ) about how they would like to be registered, but I do not foresee any difficulty with this.  I shall chose an obvious name unless advised otherwise.

Once I have registered you on the new forum, a link will be sent to your email so that you can activate your account there.
The group and the forum will then be run in tandem for a short period, until everything is ready for the official forum launch.
The forum address will then be posted on the home page of the group site, which will point visitors to our new location.

All that I need to ask, at this stage, is please email me if you want to use a different email address from the one you currently use on the group.  If I don't hear from you today, or over the weekend, the activation link will automatically be sent to your existing email address, which alone can be used initially ( although you can change it later on if you wish ).

The new forum will be 'mothballed' over the weekend whilst work is ongoing there.
So there is no point in divulging its location as yet, as It would a be frustrating going there and finding it in a state of hibernation.

As soon as the activation links are sent out early next week, its location will be known, and you will be able to activate your account, and to come in to look around.

Just up to the time of our launch, ordinary members ( though not moderators ) will be restricted to viewing the pages just like unregistered guests.  They will, however, have one important privilege - to modify their own profiles.  This is so that you can make decisions, such as whether your email address will be visible or hidden, can chose on which boards you want to receive notifications of new posts and replies, and your account settings, including the profile itself, any signature you use.

Those who own any website are permitted to display it on their profile page, but not in their signatures.

I do hope that this is clear to everyone.  Please email me personally if you are confused.
Thanks to everyone who has joined on the google group: I shall really look forward to introducing you to our new home next week.

Warmest best wishes.

mobaholic.

Valued guests are cordially invited to join.  Registration is quick & easy, & only needs an email address.  You can then benefit from contributing to our forum, & being able to use our PM system.

If you do not do so, but wish to make contact, you may email:-  theadminteam.foneforum@gmail.com
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: