Fone Forum
April 20, 2024, 01:01:15 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Fone Forum is pleased to welcome its valued guests and members.  We hope you will all enjoy your time with us, and find us a happy community of shared interests - who pool our knowledge, so that we can all come away better informed.  Wink  Cheesy  Grin

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Forum consultation.  (Read 8687 times)
mobaholic
Administrator

« on: November 27, 2008, 03:05:15 PM »

I have been giving some thought to the forum's 'structure' of late: specifically to the pros and cons of using daughter boards.        Shocked

Their obvious advantage is that they enable more to be 'fitted on' - without the forum sprawling over too many screens.        Smiley

Their disadvantage is that the software doesn't show the latest post made on a daughter board ( unless you click on it to enter there ), and neither does it show who the Moderator of a daughter board is before entering it.        Cry

I think that there are clear examples of where it works well - such as the "Mobiles, networks, services & offers" board - where there are too many daughter boards to justify separate boards for them all, and where no confusion is caused as the same Moderator looks after them all.        Smiley

And the disadvantages are also apparent, I think, particularly on the "Landline packages and offers" board, where the Moderators on the main and daughter boards are different members ( and the same, to some extent, on the "Sundry useful information" board, where there is a Moderator on the daughter board, but not on the main one ).        Cry

I should therefore like to canvas opinion about changing our forum structure to a limited extent.        Cool

My proposal is to leave the Mobile boards unchanged, but to split the Landline and Broadband - VOIP boards into two separate boards - each showing full details of their latest post and Moderator respectively.
It will be particularly helpful to have some feedback from nixforfun and panda on this please.        Wink

As for the "Sundry useful information" board, I see no need to trouble about it now - as there is little activity on its daughter board at present.        Wink

All members are invited to contribute their thoughts and opinions, and I shall allow a reasonable time for member posts / discussion before taking any action.        Smiley

TIA.

mh.

« Last Edit: November 27, 2008, 03:27:14 PM by mobaholic » Logged

Valued guests are cordially invited to join.  Registration is quick & easy, & only needs an email address.  You can then benefit from contributing to our forum, & being able to use our PM system.

If you do not do so, but wish to make contact, you may email:-  theadminteam.foneforum@gmail.com
nixforfun

« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2008, 10:48:31 AM »

I should therefore like to canvas opinion about changing our forum structure to a limited extent.        Cool

My proposal is to leave the Mobile boards unchanged, but to split the Landline and Broadband - VOIP boards into two separate boards - each showing full details of their latest post and Moderator respectively.
It will be particularly helpful to have some feedback from nixforfun and panda on this please.        Wink

Hi MH

Sorry for the delayed response, but I agree with your suggestion. I think things would become much easier for panda to monitor if the board is separated. Broadband is another area where interesting discussions could happen and it does entitle a separate board to allow some ideas to float.

Regards
Nik

Dave
Global Moderator

« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2008, 11:58:13 AM »

Hi MH

Sorry for the delayed response, but I agree with your suggestion. I think things would become much easier for panda to monitor if the board is separated. Broadband is another area where interesting discussions could happen and it does entitle a separate board to allow some ideas to float.

Regards
Nik

I too agree with the proposal, thought it will primarily affect panda and nixforfun.

While we wait for panda to express his position on the matter, I guess that the opinions of other members is welcomed too, so don't be too shy to have your say folks.

Valued guests are cordially invited to join.  Registration is quick & easy, & only needs an email address.  You can then benefit from contributing to our forum, & being able to use our PM system.

If you do not do so, but wish to make contact, you may email:-  theadminteam.foneforum@gmail.com
panda

« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2008, 12:10:42 AM »

Hi,

I fully agree on the MH proposal. Although VOIP is totally dependent on the broadand but this will help us to give members more understanding about VOIP technology.

Panda
mobaholic
Administrator

« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2008, 10:14:45 AM »

Thanks nixforfun, Dave, and panda for your positive feedback.        Smiley

There have been no other responses from ordinary members as yet, so I am inclined to go ahead and move all threads from the 'Broadband - VOIP' board to a new one at this weekend, or possibly at the start of next week.        Wink

However, other opinions may still be voiced, and if anybody has any strong objections please speak up before then.  Thank you.

mobaholic
Administrator

« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2008, 03:13:10 PM »

I have now separated the Broadband - VOIP daughter board from the landlines one, making it a full board in its own right.

If Nik, panda, or any other member spots anything which causes a difficulty, please send me a PM about it.

In the absence of any such feedback, I shall assume that it has not caused any problems.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: