Fone Forum
March 19, 2024, 03:44:49 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Fone Forum is pleased to welcome its valued guests and members.  We hope you will all enjoy your time with us, and find us a happy community of shared interests - who pool our knowledge, so that we can all come away better informed.  Wink  Cheesy  Grin

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: BT cuts 0870 charges - 'Rip-off' numbers go free  (Read 11962 times)
NewStarter

« on: January 08, 2009, 08:09:59 PM »

I read this very interesting article in the register.

Extract from the article
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
BT has today cut the cost of calling 0845 and 0870 to zero for many of its customers, following a consumer campaign against companies profiting from premium rate lines.

Subscribers to BT's Anytime package will get free 0845 and 0870 calls at all times, while Evening and Weekend customers' calls will be free after 6pm Monday-Friday, and all weekend.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Complete News in the link below
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/01/08/bt_premium_cuts/

I called up BT and checked with them that people with only free weekend will have 0870/0845 numbers free during weekend.
FYI, these changes would be in effect from 16th Jan 2009.

Does this news kick you guys (at least a few here) to make free calls to your home countries??  Wink

-NS
« Last Edit: January 08, 2009, 11:53:21 PM by NewStarter » Logged
ndiqbal

« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2009, 08:34:51 PM »

Hi Newstarter,

This is excellent peace of news.  I hope other companies like Virgin Media, Onetel, Talktalk follow BT.  I also hope the mobile networks follow BT too.

This is great news.

Thanks again.
Nadz
Mikael
Administrator

« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2009, 08:35:49 PM »

This is very good news for us! I shall be reviewing all destinations possible on 0870 numbers and doing a promotion to coincide with this change.

Valued guests are cordially invited to join.  Registration is quick & easy, & only needs an email address.  You can then benefit from contributing to our forum, & being able to use our PM system.

If you do not do so, but wish to make contact, you may email:-  theadminteam.foneforum@gmail.com
NewStarter

« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2009, 11:56:03 PM »

This is very good news for us! I shall be reviewing all destinations possible on 0870 numbers and doing a promotion to coincide with this change.
That is even more good news Mikael Grin
Hope to get more update from you on this.. thanks and really appreciate the great work you have been doing.

-NS
mobaholic
Administrator

« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2009, 03:14:21 PM »

I read this very interesting article in the register.

Extract from the article
BT has today cut the cost of calling 0845 and 0870 to zero for many of its customers, following a consumer campaign against companies profiting from premium rate lines.

Subscribers to BT's Anytime package will get free 0845 and 0870 calls at all times, while Evening and Weekend customers' calls will be free after 6pm Monday-Friday, and all weekend.
Complete News in the link below
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/01/08/bt_premium_cuts/

I called up BT and checked with them that people with only free weekend will have 0870/0845 numbers free during weekend.
FYI, these changes would be in effect from 16th Jan 2009.

Does this news kick you guys (at least a few here) to make free calls to your home countries??  Wink

-NS

This is a very good post, and I don't want to dampen enthusiasm about it at all.  However, I am not yet entirely convinced that The Register is correct about the weekend calls being available for free ALL weekends.        Shocked

The current position seems to be that:-
For 0845 and 0870 numbers, 6AM to 6PM counts as peak rate even at weekends!        Huh
( Thanks Joel.        Smiley )

The quoted wording from BT is that:-
"All of our 14 million calls customers have free calls included in their package and now all 14 million have free calls to 0870 and 0845 at times that fit with their calling plan, which is something not offered by any of our competitors."

However, if, "at times that fit their calling plans", means off peak and weekends only, and 6 am - 6 pm remains peak rate, not weekend rate then, this MAY not be the good news that some are supposing.        Shocked

I therefore advise some caution until this position is clarified for us.        Wink

« Last Edit: January 09, 2009, 04:28:03 PM by mobaholic » Logged

Valued guests are cordially invited to join.  Registration is quick & easy, & only needs an email address.  You can then benefit from contributing to our forum, & being able to use our PM system.

If you do not do so, but wish to make contact, you may email:-  theadminteam.foneforum@gmail.com
far
Learner

« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2009, 09:30:37 PM »

Also a note of caution reading their official press release http://www.btplc.com/news/articles/showarticle.cfm?articleid={e501c5ef-11a2-4779-a932-177450ecd870}. This states that "indirect access numbers" will be excluded. What does that mean - what exact numbers will not be included?

Somre more vague details at http://www.productsandservices.bt.com/consumerProducts/displayTopic.do?topicId=25502 including news that there will be a FUP of 150 calls or 1,000 minutes a month, after which you will be charged.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2009, 09:36:10 PM by far » Logged
andy

« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2009, 12:40:51 AM »

This states that "indirect access numbers" will be excluded. What does that mean - what exact numbers will not be included?

They don't intend to allow calls via 0845 and 0870 access numbers to international destinations
« Last Edit: January 10, 2009, 02:10:03 AM by andy » Logged
mdsaleem123

« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2009, 09:04:00 PM »

its a good news that bt have cut the price for 0870 and 0844/45 number but can it will be same by network operators just cross the fingers and watch wht will be the result .................. Huh
andy

« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2009, 09:28:46 PM »

its a good news that bt have cut the price for 0870 and 0844/45 number

There are no changes at all in the rates  for 0844 numbers, which won't be included in the BT call packages.

And for people who don't have inclusive calls, there haven't been any announcements of rate cuts
« Last Edit: January 13, 2009, 01:37:23 AM by andy » Logged
mobaholic
Administrator

« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2009, 11:56:21 AM »

The official BT announcement can now be viewed here.

Please note the warning:-

Please note that we're still going to charge for calls to 0845 and 0870 numbers used for dial-up Internet or indirect access.

nixforfun

« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2009, 12:07:18 PM »

The official BT announcement can now be viewed here.

Please note the warning:-

Please note that we're still going to charge for calls to 0845 and 0870 numbers used for dial-up Internet or indirect access.

Am I right in assuming by "indirect" access they mean the call through numbers? If yes, how would BT have a list of all such numbers and is there a special series used by call through providers?

Regards
Nik
mobaholic
Administrator

« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2009, 02:51:54 PM »

Am I right in assuming by "indirect" access they mean the call through numbers? If yes, how would BT have a list of all such numbers and is there a special series used by call through providers?

Regards
Nik

Most people are assuming that 'indirect access numbers' are callthrough ones, yes.  You will see that andy took it this way in his reply to far above.        Wink

Many callthroughs are openly advertised on the internet, so they are hardly difficult to find.  Others will be known to BT staff, no doubt; others will show up by their calling profile; and if BT follow the practices of the mobile networks, they will note all numbers that customers foolishly call them to ask about, and immediately mark them as suspect.        Huh

My own thoughts are that it will become a 'cat and mouse' game between BT and the callthrough operators ( just as it used to be between One2One and Orange with 0800 callthroughs ).  The callthroughs will change their numbers, and BT will eventually catch up with them - and start to charge.  But we shall have to wait and see if this is the case or not.        Shocked

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: