Fone Forum
March 28, 2024, 08:31:31 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Fone Forum is pleased to welcome its valued guests and members.  We hope you will all enjoy your time with us, and find us a happy community of shared interests - who pool our knowledge, so that we can all come away better informed.  Wink  Cheesy  Grin

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: UK to have a 6th mobile operator  (Read 7859 times)
mobaholic
Administrator

« on: June 20, 2008, 09:43:29 AM »

If you have not yet heard of UK01, snap, neither had I !

It involved a cheap, low power licence which will only be able to receive and make calls within close distances to their base stations, which will be with Spectrum Interactive phone kiosks run by the Wi-Fi hotspot operator.

Behind UK01 is a company called Mapesbury Communications Ltd, whose CEO Magnus Kelly said in a statement that "this agreement is an important milestone, as it accelerates our ability to launch the UK's 6th mobile phone network".

The report of its creation may be viewed here.

Valued guests are cordially invited to join.  Registration is quick & easy, & only needs an email address.  You can then benefit from contributing to our forum, & being able to use our PM system.

If you do not do so, but wish to make contact, you may email:-  theadminteam.foneforum@gmail.com
andy

« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2008, 02:25:59 PM »

There are 10 or a dozen of these low-power band-edge licences, let a couple of years ago, perhaps some to companies who hadn't yet got concrete plans.

The model for any of them may be IP-connected GSM picocells as an alternative to wi-fi. But it would also be interesting to see them come up with some roaming agreements, either here or abroad.
mobaholic
Administrator

« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2008, 02:31:05 PM »

Thanks andy.        Smiley

Do you happen to know if Noodle's reported plans were along the same sort of lines ?        Undecided

I regret that I haven't really kept up with news on them recently.        Cry

Valued guests are cordially invited to join.  Registration is quick & easy, & only needs an email address.  You can then benefit from contributing to our forum, & being able to use our PM system.

If you do not do so, but wish to make contact, you may email:-  theadminteam.foneforum@gmail.com
andy

« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2008, 01:19:47 AM »

Well, I'd guess that perhaps they have a deal with one of these licence holders, or are hoping to.

Alternatively, I did wonder if they would go for another arrangement with Wire9, though this wouldn't give them free incoming roaming in the UK
ndiqbal

« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2008, 11:08:29 AM »

Noodle does not exist.  Check their website.  It diverts you to a new company called Noo.  The website looks so much like the old Noodle website!!!

Huh
mobileman

« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2008, 02:11:29 PM »

The UK01 website is now shown here, but there is no information available as yet about coverage, charges, or even ordering a SIM.

There is a pdf download available from the website, together with an introduction, and an email address for queries:-   info@mapesbury.com

One to watch until more is known.        Wink

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: