Fone Forum
March 28, 2024, 11:23:15 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Fone Forum is pleased to welcome its valued guests and members.  We hope you will all enjoy your time with us, and find us a happy community of shared interests - who pool our knowledge, so that we can all come away better informed.  Wink  Cheesy  Grin

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: e2save launch themselves into new free laptop with broadband packages.  (Read 21277 times)
mobaholic
Administrator

« on: June 21, 2008, 09:36:27 AM »

e2save have just launched themselves into a new free laptop and mobile broadband set of packages.

The laptop is a free Acer Aspire 5315, with 80 GB hard drive and Intel Celeron Processor, with a claimed value of £360.

There are 3 sets of mobile broadband options:-

1).  Orange costs £30 per month on a 24 month contract, and gives speeds up to 1.8 Mbps.

2).  T-Mobile costs £29 per month on a 18 month contract, and gives speeds up to 2 Mbps.

3).  '3' costs £35 per month on a 18 month contract, and gives speeds up to 2.8 Mbps.

The deal also throws in a free laptop case on all networks ("£16-99"), and on '3' only, a free cordless mouse ("£29.99").

Click on the network name for full details of the offer which interests you.

Valued guests are cordially invited to join.  Registration is quick & easy, & only needs an email address.  You can then benefit from contributing to our forum, & being able to use our PM system.

If you do not do so, but wish to make contact, you may email:-  theadminteam.foneforum@gmail.com
rashmi_sweet23

« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2008, 10:14:24 PM »

hardly anything comes for free... 3 broadbad on 18 months contract is available on 3 website shop for 15 £ per month (7.50 £ for 3 customers). e2save is charging 35 £ for the same. you are paying 20x18= 360 £ extra for this laptop which is available at simplyacer for 277 £.
Dont forget that you will get another 42 £ when you buy this contract from 3, via Quidco.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2008, 10:26:21 PM by rashmi_sweet23 » Logged
Dave
Global Moderator

« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2008, 10:40:27 PM »

hardly anything comes for free... 3 broadbad on 18 months contract is available on 3 website shop for 15 £ per month (7.50 £ for 3 customers). e2save is charging 35 £ for the same. you are paying 20x18= 360 £ extra for this laptop which is available at simplyacer for 277 £.
Dont forget that you will get another 42 £ when you buy this contract from 3, via Quidco.

Your reference to half price contracts appears somewhat out of place - as these deals don't involve one, as far as I can see.

On pay & go, 3's mobile broadband involves charges for the modem, which your figures appear to overlook.

Even if your price of £277 for the laptop is correct, you need to add on £50 for the modem, £17 for the case, and £30 for the cordless mouse, which makes £374 by my calculation.
So its still a saving isn't it?

« Last Edit: June 21, 2008, 10:52:58 PM by Dave » Logged

Valued guests are cordially invited to join.  Registration is quick & easy, & only needs an email address.  You can then benefit from contributing to our forum, & being able to use our PM system.

If you do not do so, but wish to make contact, you may email:-  theadminteam.foneforum@gmail.com
rashmi_sweet23

« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2008, 11:26:12 PM »

Half price mobile broadband contracts for 3 customers are still available at 3 online till 30th June 2008.
Modem (dongle as they call it!) is free with contract (I was only comparing 3 direct with e2save, both being 18 months contract).
As far as the cost of cordless mouse is concerned, 30£ is a bit of exaggeration. Plenty are available for 4-5 £ on ebay by UK power sellers (including postage).
« Last Edit: June 21, 2008, 11:52:41 PM by rashmi_sweet23 » Logged
Dave
Global Moderator

« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2008, 06:58:17 AM »

Half price mobile broadband contracts for 3 customers are still available at 3 online till 30th June 2008.
Modem (dongle as they call it!) is free with contract (I was only comparing 3 direct with e2save, both being 18 months contract).
As far as the cost of cordless mouse is concerned, 30£ is a bit of exaggeration. Plenty are available for 4-5 £ on ebay by UK power sellers (including postage).

The information you are giving is correct, but you appear to be misinterpreting it.

When 3 talks about its mobile broadband having a 50% discount for its 'customers', it means specifically its contract customers ( not pay & go ).

What you have failed to appreciate is that this is limited to those with TWO contracts running concurrently - one for minutes and texts, and a second one for mobile broadband.

The e2save offer only involves one contract - for broadband only - not any for minutes and texts from 3 additionally, which adds another £15 per month to the bill.  This radically changes the mathematical comparison that you gave.

3's contract customers pay £22.50 per month to 3 ( £15 for 300 minutes or texts, + £7.50 for half price broadband ) which is £405 over 18 months. When you add on even £277 for the laptop, to take your figure, that bumps up the price to £682, and the case ( £17 ) and mouse ( £5, your figure ) gives a final total of £704 - which surely is more than the e2save deal ( which leaves out 3's expensive minutes and texts ).

q e d.

« Last Edit: June 22, 2008, 09:16:12 AM by Dave » Logged

rashmi_sweet23

« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2008, 08:57:06 AM »

Hi Dave,
Thanks for your patience to tolerate my ignorance. I am enjoying this debate !

Lets say I do not want any phone contract with 3 and just looking for 18 months contract of 3Gb mobile broadband (which I am actually going to buy this week for that matter). I have options of going to e2save or 3 directly. I do not have 3 phone contract neither do I want one.

If I go to 3 and buy just 18 months broadband contract (ignore half price deal) on full price, it would be 15 £ per month. For 18 months I pay 270 pounds  (when I do not have any concurrently running phone contract with 3).

If I go to e2save, I pay 35 £ per month for 18 months for the same contract to make it 630 £, if I want a free laptop+mouse+case with it.

So I am paying 630-270=360 £ to e2save for this free laptop+mouse+case.

Please correct me if I have again miscalculated it. Hopefully with your help I'll be able to make the correct decision.

(PS- I do understand that I can have the same contract with e2save for 15 £ per month as well, but then I have to pay 279.99 £ upfront as one off payment for the laptop !)

« Last Edit: June 22, 2008, 09:57:16 AM by rashmi_sweet23 » Logged
Dave
Global Moderator

« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2008, 10:01:52 AM »

Hi Dave,
Thanks for your patience to tolerate my ignorance. I am enjoying this debate !

Lets say I do not want any phone contract with 3 and just looking for 18 months contract of 3Gb mobile broadband (which I am actually going to buy this week for that matter). I have options of going to e2save or 3 directly. I do not have 3 phone contract neither do I want one.

If I go to 3 and buy just 18 months broadband contract (ignore half price deal) on full price, it would be 15 £ per month. For 18 months I pay 270 pounds  (when I do not have any concurrently running phone contract with 3).

If I go to e2save, I pay 35 £ per month for 18 months for the same contract to make it 630 £, if I want a free laptop+mouse+case with it.

So I am paying 630-270=360 £ to e2save for this free laptop+mouse+case.

Please correct me if I have again miscalculated it. Hopefully with your help I'll be able to make the correct decision.

Hi Rashmi, I'm glad you are enjoying the debate.  So am I!

I have corrected my own figures above, as I mistakenly quoted for 1 GB monthly internet use instead of 3 GB.
I apologize for my error.

To turn now to your figures, you are still fogetting the charge 3 will make for the modem.  This is now half the price it used to be ( £100 ), but you CAN'T just leave out the £50.

So if you buy your mobile broadband direct from 3, it is £15 x 18 = £270 + £50 for modem = £320.

If you take off this £320 from the e2save cost of £630 this leaves a cost of £310 for the laptop, case, and wireless mouse.  This is much less than e2save reckon they are worth, but £11 more than you say it will cost you.

I just wonder, though, if your laptop figure covers delivery and insurance, and if all the time it will take you to order everything separately would make the whole exercise worth it to you?

Its your choice at the end of the day!

« Last Edit: June 22, 2008, 10:09:21 AM by Dave » Logged

rashmi_sweet23

« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2008, 10:35:26 AM »

Now we are getting our figures right Dave !
Regarding the cost of the modem, which you mentioned in your post, is only relevant for three pay as go deals. It comes free on all contracts of 18 months from three, if you buy directly from them.
Dave
Global Moderator

« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2008, 11:23:09 AM »

Now we are getting our figures right Dave !
Regarding the cost of the modem, which you mentioned in your post, is only relevant for three pay as go deals. It comes free on all contracts of 18 months from three, if you buy directly from them.

I have always been told the free modem is for their contract customers only. I believe this to mean ones that take a 3 mobile contract with minutes and texts.  If you don't take their mobile and contract, they charge you £49.99 for a Huawei E220 or ZTE622 modem, or £99.99 for a E169G modem I was told at the local 3 shop.

If you can persuade 3 to give you a modem free, without your taking one of their mobiles first of all, I shall be quite favourably surprised.

I won't say I will eat my hat, as I don't have one to risk, but I should love you to be right  - as  I might then go for one myself ( except that I wonder if I could buy my own laptop as cheaply as you suggest, or if I would want all the hassle? )

Anyway, if you go to 3 direct yourself, and are proved correct, you will be fully entitled to come back and crow that you were right.

Let us know what you decide, and how it works out for you please.

ATB.

« Last Edit: June 22, 2008, 12:13:39 PM by Dave » Logged

rashmi_sweet23

« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2008, 12:28:43 PM »

Hi Dave,
I have confirmed from 3 online support chat that modem comes free, even if you do not have any phone contract. Plus they are giving 10 £ worth vouchers. I am pasting here my full conversation with 3 online support today. Hope you find it useful,
Rashmi

[Thanks for contacting us. An operator will be with you shortly. Please note this service is for online store queries only. We are unable to deal with customer service queries or queries regarding existing contracts or upgrades.]
[Rashmi] Hello
[amrita] Hello Rashmi,
[rashmi] is the modem free on 18 months mobile broadband contract even if i do not have a mobile phone contract with 3 ?

[amrita] Yes the modem is free on 18 months contract for new customers as well as existing customer
[amrita] which broadband tariff have you selected ?
[rashmi] 3gb 18 months
[amrita] 3GB of data lets you: which is £15
Send 2000 plain text emails AND surf the web for 100 hours AND download 100 two minute videos AND download 200 music tracks.
[amrita] If you help me with the post code and house no can check the coverage and the speed for you?
[rashmi] xxxxxx
[amrita] Give me a minute.. I shall just check that for you..
[amrita] house no ?
[rashmi] x
[amrita] You have a very good broadband coverage in ur area, so the speed u will get is 2.8 mbps
[rashmi] I know its 15 £/pm. can you offer any better deal/discount if i buy it now straight away from you?
[amrita] if you order a mobile broadband today, I can give you a promotional code for a free accessories voucher worth £10
[amrita] So would u like the code ?
[rashmi] yes please
[rashmi] can you make it 20 £
[amrita] i can only offer you £10
[amrita] The Promotional code for accessories voucher is MB22060825 (Please note the code)
[amrita] Now that I have given you the promotional code for the FREE Accessories Voucher, I want to advise you how it works. You must enter the code on the promotional box on the basket page and
 press 'update' and then will need to click on the Buy Now.
[amrita] And you might want to write the code down, as the conversation disappears when we are finished talking …
[rashmi] thanks
[amrita] Thanks for contacting us. Please do not hesitate to contact us again if we can be of further assistance. Good bye

rashmi_sweet23

« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2008, 01:02:01 PM »

Just to add, if you order from e2save, although laptop is so called free, 14.99 £ is the delivery charge.
Dave
Global Moderator

« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2008, 05:20:21 PM »

Hi Dave,
I have confirmed from 3 online support chat that modem comes free, even if you do not have any phone contract. Plus they are giving 10 £ worth vouchers. I am pasting here my full conversation with 3 online support today. Hope you find it useful,
Rashmi

[Thanks for contacting us. An operator will be with you shortly. Please note this service is for online store queries only. We are unable to deal with customer service queries or queries regarding existing contracts or upgrades.]
[Rashmi] Hello
[amrita] Hello Rashmi,
[rashmi] is the modem free on 18 months mobile broadband contract even if i do not have a mobile phone contract with 3 ?

[amrita] Yes the modem is free on 18 months contract for new customers as well as existing customer
[amrita] which broadband tariff have you selected ?
[rashmi] 3gb 18 months
[amrita] 3GB of data lets you: which is £15
Send 2000 plain text emails AND surf the web for 100 hours AND download 100 two minute videos AND download 200 music tracks.
[amrita] If you help me with the post code and house no can check the coverage and the speed for you?
[rashmi] xxxxxx
[amrita] Give me a minute.. I shall just check that for you..
[amrita] house no ?
[rashmi] x
[amrita] You have a very good broadband coverage in ur area, so the speed u will get is 2.8 mbps
[rashmi] I know its 15 £/pm. can you offer any better deal/discount if i buy it now straight away from you?
[amrita] if you order a mobile broadband today, I can give you a promotional code for a free accessories voucher worth £10
[amrita] So would u like the code ?
[rashmi] yes please
[rashmi] can you make it 20 £
[amrita] i can only offer you £10
[amrita] The Promotional code for accessories voucher is MB22060825 (Please note the code)
[amrita] Now that I have given you the promotional code for the FREE Accessories Voucher, I want to advise you how it works. You must enter the code on the promotional box on the basket page and
 press 'update' and then will need to click on the Buy Now.
[amrita] And you might want to write the code down, as the conversation disappears when we are finished talking …
[rashmi] thanks
[amrita] Thanks for contacting us. Please do not hesitate to contact us again if we can be of further assistance. Good bye

If that is the case I will most happily take off my ( metaphorical ) hat to you.

Congratulations, you have won your debate, with neither of us ever saying one cross word to the other.

I just wish every difference of opinion could be resolved so amicably.

Bless you.

« Last Edit: June 22, 2008, 06:35:42 PM by Dave » Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: