Fone Forum
April 27, 2024, 04:27:40 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Fone Forum is pleased to welcome its valued guests and members.  We hope you will all enjoy your time with us, and find us a happy community of shared interests - who pool our knowledge, so that we can all come away better informed.  Wink  Cheesy  Grin

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: SIP settings for Nokia E-Series phones  (Read 9436 times)
petkow

« on: August 28, 2009, 09:46:37 AM »

Yesterday I got PM about configuring Nokia E-Series phones for SIP use. I replied via PM but now also realise that the info might be useful to someone else too. The following example suggests some sample settings for a SIP profile for one of the Betamax providers.

It is actually an extract of an email I sent someone on how to configure the optimal SIP settings for an E71. In this case it was for a Betamax account from Poivy.com, with username as "username" and the password as "password". Obviously you can replace references to Poivy to other Betamax brands, but I am not too sure how it will work for other VoIP providers. You will just need to try and find out the STUN, Registrar and Proxy information.

(sorry this starts at point 9)
    9. On the phone, Go into Menu, Tools, Settings, Connection, SIP settings
    10. Click Options and select “New SIP profile”
    11. Profile name is Poivy.com
    12. Service Profile is IETF
    13. For Default access Point select the name of your home WIFI network
    14. Public username is sip:username@poivy.com
    15. Use Compression is No
    16. Registration is When needed
    17. Use Security is No
    18. Under Proxy Server you get more options
    19. Under Proxy server address enter sip:sip.poivy.com
    20. Realm is Poivy.com
    21. Username is username
    22. Password is password
    23. Allow lose routing is Yes
    24. Transport Type is UDP
    25. Port is 5060
    26. Under Registrar server you get more options
    27. Under Registrar server address enter sip:stun.poivy.com
    28. Realm is Poivy.com
    29. Username is username
    30. Password is password
    31. Transport type is UDP
    32. Port is 5060
    33. Now that’s it for the setup part of things...but you need to do a few further things too.
    34. Now you have to go back to Menu, Tools, Settings, Connection, and go to “Internet tel” which is 1 below SIP settings. Why they didn’t put these together is beyond me
    35. Click Options and “New Profile”
    36. Select SIP URI select the one which will say sip:username@poivy.com
    37. For name enter Poivy
    38. To switch on Internet telephone, go into Menu, Communication and select Internet telephone. (As I use it a lot, I put a short cut on my phone desktop which is easier)
    39. Then select someone from your address book as normal, hit the middle key on the number, select call, and a little box pops up with 3 options. First is Voice call (which is normal GSM call), second is Video call, third is Internet Call. It really is that easy. You can also save someones internet SIP address directly in the phone book.

The person who sent me the PM was actually trying to configure Tesco Internet phone. We have just established that that instead uses an IAX prtotocol rather than a SIP protocol. If anyone has further details please add.
petkow

« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2009, 09:55:12 AM »

Also... a small point to moderators/administrators. I notice that foneforum has no separate VoIP board, and it has been bundled together with Broadband. My opinion is that in this day and age, the exclusive association of VoIP calls made over traditional 'broadband' (landline, cable or 3G modem based) is dwindling, as many users begin to use VoIP calls via WiFi or 3G (or better) mobile handsets. In terms of telephony, VoIP is also a huge area to itself.

Might I suggest a separate VoIP board?
amitjajoo

« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2009, 10:19:35 AM »

I completely agree to the above, VOIP in itself deserves a seperate board.

I was the one trying to configure tescointernetphone on my e51 and with the help of PETKOW was able to understand quite a bit but still cant make it to work. The obvious advantage of configuring a tesco line v/s the betamax services is that you get a landline no. for incoming calls, which is a huge advantage and changes the whole perspective of this thing. I was able to create a new profile and it shows registered, however, when i make a outgoing call the phone shows connection error and when I dial the tesco no. my mobile rings but cant hear anything.

I would surely appreciate experienced people's suggestions here. Another interesting option would be to configure a vonage line.

Cheers
AJ
mobaholic
Administrator

« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2009, 10:22:06 AM »

Also... a small point to moderators/administrators. I notice that foneforum has no separate VoIP board, and it has been bundled together with Broadband. My opinion is that in this day and age, the exclusive association of VoIP calls made over traditional 'broadband' (landline, cable or 3G modem based) is dwindling, as many users begin to use VoIP calls via WiFi or 3G (or better) mobile handsets. In terms of telephony, VoIP is also a huge area to itself.

Might I suggest a separate VoIP board?

Thanks for your suggestion petkow.        Smiley

From a historical point of view, you will see from this thread that we began with just a daughter board only, and that it was split into 2 full boards only after a forum consultation.  "Broadband - VOIP" was panda's choice of a name for the board that he originally took on to Moderate.

When panda felt that he should stand down as board Moderator due to work pressures, Nik ( nixforfun ) very kindly stood in for him, and I believes that he brings some knowledge of the broadband side to his role.

I should be more than happy to facilitate a further split, making VoIP services a board in it's own right, but I should have to be made an offer for someone to Moderate it before I should be happy to set it up.  I myself have zero knowledge of VoIP services I'm afraid.

So my simple answer is that certainly you may have a separate board for VoIP if you like: offer to Moderate it for me and I will create it in half an hour !

« Last Edit: August 28, 2009, 02:20:39 PM by mobaholic » Logged

Valued guests are cordially invited to join.  Registration is quick & easy, & only needs an email address.  You can then benefit from contributing to our forum, & being able to use our PM system.

If you do not do so, but wish to make contact, you may email:-  theadminteam.foneforum@gmail.com
petkow

« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2009, 10:54:55 AM »

The obvious advantage of configuring a tesco line v/s the betamax services is that you get a landline no. for incoming calls, which is a huge advantage and changes the whole perspective of this thing.
Yes I agree with that! Betamax used to offer free DID's (landlines) of which I am lucky to still have one. However, they have long stopped offering. The other option is to get a DID from a 3rd party and point it to your Betamax SIP address. I used to have a few of these setup from different countries. There are many providers offering DID's (both free and cheap). I do not know what the current UK status is but try: http://lmgtfy.com/?q=free+did

...offer to Moderate it for me and I will create it in half an hour !
Grin Thanks but maybe not just yet! Perhaps leave them together for now then.
mobaholic
Administrator

« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2009, 12:27:48 PM »

Grin Thanks but maybe not just yet! Perhaps leave them together for now then.

I respect the reasons that you have shared why you have to say that for now, but I wanted to show as positive a response as I could to your original good suggestion.        Wink

A separate VoIP board would indeed be very good in theory, but if there is no one with sufficient knowledge to Moderate it; few members posting on the subject as at present; and no Moderator posting to generate some interest in his subject, I am afraid that it simply would not work well in such circumstances.        Cry

However, I remain open to offers, not only from petkow, but from any one with sufficient knowledge and interest.        Wink

Valued guests are cordially invited to join.  Registration is quick & easy, & only needs an email address.  You can then benefit from contributing to our forum, & being able to use our PM system.

If you do not do so, but wish to make contact, you may email:-  theadminteam.foneforum@gmail.com
andy

« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2009, 10:44:51 PM »

It might be worth saying this about configuring accounts -

For intermittent attempts spanning several months, I was unable to get any SIP registration to work on my Nokia E51 phone - I'd get a message that the phone could not connect to the connection network ...

Eventually, I read some comments on another forum which threw some light on this. People were told to delete all their stored settings and start again.

It worked. I had set up a default account first, merely as something to copy then edit to make other settings, and that seemed to be the cause

Given petkow's comment about Tesco using IAX though, I don't think that would solve amitjajoo's problem.

Something that might be useful for some people - logged in to a Voipbuster account, you can get all the SIP settings sent to your phone. To save myself some time, I did that then switched the relevent details to my Justvoip account

And another half-stray comment: subject to correction by more knowledgable people, I don't believe that Nokia phones can be set to use the phone's own SIP settings when wanting to use VoIP via 3g/HSDPA. But using Fring or Nimbuzz seem to work over 3g.

However, it is possible to download a Nokia program called SIP VoIP Settings, which opens up defining and altering a lot more settings, for example preferred order of choice of codecs, and including defeating the bar on using the Nokia SIP via 3g. I've downloaded it, but so far I haven't dared mess about with it, and am rather daunted just by reading its manual.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2009, 10:49:57 PM by andy » Logged
petkow

« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2009, 11:52:24 AM »

Hi Andy, thanks for the additions. You are right that previous and default SIP setting do tend to screw up current ones. I too had a few problems which could have been related to this at first.

And another half-stray comment: subject to correction by more knowledgable people, I don't believe that Nokia phones can be set to use the phone's own SIP settings when wanting to use VoIP via 3g/HSDPA.
I managed to do this on the Nokia E71, without having to download anything else! Not sure how it is on other E-series phones. Initially I doubted it too, and never managed to get it to work. I too was told by a member on another forum to download something (probably what you're talking about) but after realising it was a bit messy, I fiddled around a bit more with the phone. I soon realised that if I was in 3G/3.5G coverage, and provided I had defined my Default Access point (see point 13 in above list) to my mobile providers APN, I could log on to the Betamax servers and make and receive calls.

Give it a shot and see where it goes!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: