Fone Forum
March 28, 2024, 05:18:37 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Fone Forum is pleased to welcome its valued guests and members.  We hope you will all enjoy your time with us, and find us a happy community of shared interests - who pool our knowledge, so that we can all come away better informed.  Wink  Cheesy  Grin

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Virgin mobile sim only  (Read 85695 times)
androidfan

« Reply #30 on: June 16, 2016, 12:30:13 PM »

While I agree that Virgin must let the customer use their allowances as they like, I wonder whether there is any obligation for Virgin to keep the customer? I know that for example, if a store advertises a product at a certain price, they have no obligation to sell you the product. What i don't know is whether a product which is an ongoing service carries an obligation with it to keep providing the customer. It might just be that Virgin are totally within their rights to disconnect any customer they see fit. I do agree though that it must be a breach of trading standards to advertise a product which it is impossible to actually use. On the other hand, we all know that they get away with "unlimited" and "up to". Somebody at Virgin is probably pretty confident that what they are doing is ok.

I agree with you on this point Dave. They are doing what they think is in the best interest of their own business. If they bar my sim, i intend to fully fight it and prove my point.
delaro
Global Moderator

« Reply #31 on: June 16, 2016, 07:37:24 PM »

While I agree that Virgin must let the customer use their allowances as they like, I wonder whether there is any obligation for Virgin to keep the customer? I know that for example, if a store advertises a product at a certain price, they have no obligation to sell you the product. What i don't know is whether a product which is an ongoing service carries an obligation with it to keep providing the customer. It might just be that Virgin are totally within their rights to disconnect any customer they see fit. I do agree though that it must be a breach of trading standards to advertise a product which it is impossible to actually use. On the other hand, we all know that they get away with "unlimited" and "up to". Somebody at Virgin is probably pretty confident that what they are doing is ok.

Okay. The 30 day Sim only gives them a bit of flexibility indeed. You're saying that if they don't want the customer they can just literally ditch them however they like. I wonder what would happen if 24 month contract customer was told to go for the same reason? No doubt they would try to press the customer to buy their contract out. Where would the customer stand on that? Virgin would not have as strong position on that would they? After all they would want to ditch customer unfairly and make them fork out.

We all agree it's a revenue protection exercise, but customer still needs to be treated fairly.

dlR
« Last Edit: June 16, 2016, 07:39:14 PM by delaro » Logged

davegr
Administrator

« Reply #32 on: June 16, 2016, 08:30:08 PM »

I believe in that case as they are the ones terminating the agreement (contract) then they would have to forfeit the rest of the money owed. That is I believe how it has worked out in practice for other people with other mobile providers. Virgin could of course have different ideas!
androidfan

« Reply #33 on: June 16, 2016, 11:30:37 PM »

Okay. The 30 day Sim only gives them a bit of flexibility indeed. You're saying that if they don't want the customer they can just literally ditch them however they like. I wonder what would happen if 24 month contract customer was told to go for the same reason? No doubt they would try to press the customer to buy their contract out. Where would the customer stand on that? Virgin would not have as strong position on that would they? After all they would want to ditch customer unfairly and make them fork out.

We all agree it's a revenue protection exercise, but customer still needs to be treated fairly.

dlR

You actually make a very interesting point here. So basically, i could get an iphone 6 contract and call 08 numbers and get them to terminate my contract!!

Come to think of it, Virgin mobile send you a seperate charge/bill for the handset i think
i_luv_free_calls
AQ

« Reply #34 on: June 16, 2016, 11:37:11 PM »

You actually make a very interesting point here. So basically, i could get an iphone 6 contract and call 08 numbers and get them to terminate my contract!!

Come to think of it, Virgin mobile send you a seperate charge/bill for the handset i think

Androidfan is thinking of getting an iOS phone? You traitor  Grin
androidfan

« Reply #35 on: June 16, 2016, 11:46:41 PM »

Androidfan is thinking of getting an iOS phone? You traitor  Grin

ooops i meant samsung galaxy 7....it was a typo lol....the predictive text on these modern phones these days!!
delaro
Global Moderator

« Reply #36 on: June 17, 2016, 06:09:29 AM »

You'd need to prepare yourself for a long battle...

Handset might get black listed by Virgin as well... AFAIK especially iPhones do get blacklisted easily if contract's been terminated early and not bought out..

dlR
« Last Edit: June 17, 2016, 08:14:38 PM by delaro » Logged

L2M

« Reply #37 on: July 03, 2016, 03:06:57 PM »

Just thought I should share this.  I've had instances when hitherto blocked numbers on Virgin were unblocked without a fuss from the customer.  Has anyone had similar experience?
davegr
Administrator

« Reply #38 on: July 03, 2016, 08:28:41 PM »

Just thought I should share this.  I've had instances when hitherto blocked numbers on Virgin were unblocked without a fuss from the customer.  Has anyone had similar experience?

I've not heard of any such thing. In fact my account was changed to PAYG and supposedly unbarred but the bar is still in place. Sim now in the bin.
L2M

« Reply #39 on: July 03, 2016, 09:50:43 PM »

Well,  maybe there's a change of policy or someone just got away with murder or the numbers shouldn't have been barred in the first place. Whatever it was, it actually did happen!
androidfan

« Reply #40 on: July 03, 2016, 09:51:07 PM »

Yes some of my customers have told me something similar (but very few). When they call Virgin to get the sim unblocked, their security team have unblocked it and told them to reduce call volume to 08 numbers!

To be honest, ive not heard of any customer disconnections in the past 2 weeks
L2M

« Reply #41 on: July 03, 2016, 09:55:12 PM »

I agree. There might be a softening of the former hash policy quietly being applied lately!
davegr
Administrator

« Reply #42 on: July 03, 2016, 09:55:22 PM »

I still have one sim that has been barred but not yet cancelled, so I will see if anything has changed.
androidfan

« Reply #43 on: July 04, 2016, 08:39:15 AM »

I still have one sim that has been barred but not yet cancelled, so I will see if anything has changed.

If you tell them you will reduce your calls to 08 numbers, then you might stand a good chance of getting the sim reconnected
Viva Telecom
Learner

« Reply #44 on: August 04, 2016, 01:56:08 PM »

The guy driving this initiative is Virgin’s Fraud & Revenue Assurance Manager George Tonks. His name appears on letters sent to Virgin mobile customers who's SIMs have been blocked from making calls to any type of number, not just 08's. There are probably a lot of people out there who would like to make a personal representation to him instead of his faceless foot soldiers who man the Virgin Team call centre. He can be found on Linked In at: https://uk.linkedin.com/in/george-tonks-4a438570 and his email address and mobile number can be found on his business card, if you know where to look for it. If this is of interest to you please drop an email to enquiries@vivatelecomgroup.com - if enough people start contacting him directly it may help to get some of those blocked SIMs unblocked
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: